Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Nute_Chethray
Nute_Chethray

Unpopular Star Wars opinions? - Page 7 Empty Re: Unpopular Star Wars opinions?

January 13th 2021, 12:37 pm
One thing is scope yes. It feels far more like a galactic war whereas tcw 08 had smaller forces than would be used in a world war. 

As for depth I feel like CW 03 goes far more into the horrors, diffculities, and dangers of war over TCW where its very shallow concepts we see pretty much everywhere else. I also think that 03 shows far more with far less. One point of comparison is for example Anakin's cave vision (3) vs the vision he gets from the son (8). In which the former works on little audio besides background music, while the latter relied purely on remaking previous content and reusing voice lines. Yet the former showed the scope and irony of Anakin's destiny far better while the latter just showed him becoming evil and was mainly popular due to the Vader breath at the end.
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

January 13th 2021, 12:39 pm
the Republic comics is the best depiction of the clone wars in any media
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

January 13th 2021, 12:45 pm
Nute_Chethray wrote:One thing is scope yes. It feels far more like a galactic war whereas tcw 08 had smaller forces than would be used in a world war. 

As for depth I feel like CW 03 goes far more into the horrors, diffculities, and dangers of war over TCW where its very shallow concepts we see pretty much everywhere else. I also think that 03 shows far more with far less. One point of comparison is for example Anakin's cave vision (3) vs the vision he gets from the son (8). In which the former works on little audio besides background music, while the latter relied purely on remaking previous content and reusing voice lines. Yet the former showed the scope and irony of Anakin's destiny far better while the latter just showed him becoming evil and was mainly popular due to the Vader breath at the end.

Yeah, I feel like a lot of the battles in TCW were like....what platoon level? Even when an entire legion seemed to be involved, we never really see the entire legion. Except for I think the Umbra battles? The Umbra storyline is the only one where I'm recalling any huge battle, but even then it was so dark.

Only horror I seem to recall within 03 was the CIS turning that one tribe's warriors into monsters. Although there were a few scenes of CIS invading other worlds. I will agree on the less is more angle.

@The lord of hunger

the Republic comics is the best depiction of the clone wars in any media

I can agree to this yes.
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

January 13th 2021, 1:08 pm
Tybalt wrote:@Latham2000 Perhaps after playing Starkiller, Witwer wanted to give Maul an actual personality considering his portrayal in The Phantom Menace was fairly restrained. Instead, Witwer went from one extreme to another.

Maybe, but you don't need to make Maul act a hot headed, indisciplined lunatic to give him an actual personality. It's not outside of the realm of possibility for character to have depth whilst still being cold, calculating and disciplined. While I won't deny that Maul was a 1 dimensional character in TPM, that's largely due to Maul having such little screen time and dialogue. And even in that case, being one dimensional didn't make him a shit character in that movie, but just bland in terms of personality. A character also doesn't need to be fully developed to good. Part of what made Maul appeal so much to people were the aesethics of his character.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

January 13th 2021, 3:55 pm
Oh this might not also be a HUGE thing that people notice, but I never was a fan of factions only have 2 military branches. The only faction that seem to have 3 branches was the Galactic Empire which was the Imperial Navy, the Imperial Army and finally the Stormtrooper Corps. Every other faction just has a Navy and an Army.

Oh and while I ragged on them in an earlier post of mine, the Judicial Forces aren't THAT terrible and I feel like the PSFs(Planetary Security Forces) are in the same boat. I mean Bravo Squadron(Naboo's PSF) was only what...14 Starfighters vs what basically amounts(at the time) to a Death Star like station and an ungodly amount of Vulture fighters and held out long enough until Anakin destroyed the station.
nfactor1995
nfactor1995

January 13th 2021, 8:26 pm
Hmmmmmm.

1. Revenge of the Sith is my favorite SW movie (yes, above ESB)
2. SWTOR is amazing, both in terms of story/lore and gameplay
3. The Rakata lore in KOTOR and SWTOR is some of the most interesting SW content/concepts out there
4. Count Dooku is an interesting character
5. The Chiss as a species and Chiss Ascendancy are vastly underused, and one of the most interesting factions in the SW universe
6. Han Solo dying in TFA is not a bad story decision and does not ruin his character. Also TFA by itself is not a horrendous movie, it's just made retroactively worse by TLJ specifically, and ROS.
nfactor1995
nfactor1995

January 13th 2021, 8:30 pm
Oh also, the Revan novel was good, and doesn't mess up the lore or characters set up in the KOTOR games.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

January 13th 2021, 9:20 pm
nfactor1995 wrote:Hmmmmmm.

3. The Rakata lore in KOTOR and SWTOR is some of the most interesting SW content/concepts out there

The only thing I have a real problem with this, is that they were still in the end defeated by miniscule forces in the forms of the Je'daii Order and King Adas with Korriban. It just seems a little bizarre, because the technology shown from both of them should pale in comparison to the tech we see the Rakata have in SWTOR, not to mention Force Users in the form of Soa.

Hopefully SE helps explain that.
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

January 13th 2021, 9:53 pm
some characters that we see on Episode IV during the reunion when Vader chokes Motti deserved at least some background story barely only Tarkin or Yularen have it
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

January 13th 2021, 10:05 pm
The lord of hunger wrote:some characters that we see on Episode IV during the reunion when Vader chokes Motti deserved at least some background story barely only Tarkin or Yularen have it

I mean some of them do.

Moradmin Bast was a big game hunter.

Hurst Romodi was a complete bad***

Cassio Tagge was a pretty good character.

Motti also has some stuff on him.

Nova Stihl was a Force Sensitive who knew Teras Kasi.
VictreebelVictr
VictreebelVictr

January 13th 2021, 10:59 pm
I thought that the Rakata were always super interesting. They created technology that the Galactic Empire might have never been able to replicate.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

January 13th 2021, 11:08 pm
VictreebelVictr wrote:I thought that the Rakata were always super interesting. They created technology that the Galactic Empire might have never been able to replicate.

I mean not really? Their biggest technology was the Starforge which the GE pretty much replicated with the World Devastators, better even since they were mobile and multiple of them. All of their other technology was either improved upon later by the galaxy at large or also capable of doing.
VictreebelVictr
VictreebelVictr

January 13th 2021, 11:56 pm
What about the mind traps?
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

January 14th 2021, 12:12 am
VictreebelVictr wrote:What about the mind traps?

I mean there are incapacitation cells and devices. If you're meaning actually putting someone's mind into a prison, then no, but that seems kinda more a hassle cause then where would you put the body? It'd be better to just have the body and the mind in a secured area, this way nothing or no one can harm the person and you're not having to put them somewhere else.

But anyway, I thought of another thing now that I've re-read some stuff.

The CIS aren't terrible or at least how people mostly see them, more specifically the droids. I mean yeah in ROTS we saw that they had different voices and more comedy, but this could be chalked up due to the war happening so corners had to be cut eventually over time. From what I recall before 08, the droids weren't nearly as goofy as TCW makes them out to be.
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

January 14th 2021, 2:27 am
Zenwolf wrote:
The lord of hunger wrote:some characters that we see on Episode IV during the reunion when Vader chokes Motti deserved at least some background story barely only Tarkin or Yularen have it

I mean some of them do.

I mostly refer to fully developed backstory or Origin like some members of the jedi council got it back on the day not just very vague mentions of what they have done like from a certain point of view the vader cómics back on 2015 or the death Star novel along with mentions on sourcebooks etc
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

January 14th 2021, 11:15 am
The lord of hunger wrote:
Zenwolf wrote:

I mean some of them do.

I mostly refer to fully developed backstory or Origin like some members of the jedi council got it back on the day not just very vague mentions of what they have done like from a certain point of view the vader cómics back on 2015 or the death Star novel along with mentions on sourcebooks etc

Tagge got a pretty good developed background going for him as does Romodi, but fair enough.

Oh here's another, but the standard TIE Fighter is pretty underrated. Shields in the grand scheme of things with what we see, at best only help a little if on a starfighter. Agility and speed is what you basically want within a dogfight. If you can't hit your target, having shields is gonna be useless anyway.

The whole Empire >> The whole GAR honestly.

Also the Empire can be innovative and adapt should they need to, it's just by comparison the Rebel Alliance(basically the Macguyvers of SW) had to do more of it because everything else they lacked.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

January 16th 2021, 6:57 pm
Also here's a hot one, but Galen Marek isn't a terrible duelist. Not exactly sure where this is coming from or why, the characters either fighting him are

1. Renowned/Accomplished duelists

2. Their first appearance is TFU and thus there isn't anything negative to point to them that they wouldn't be able to fight Galen.
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

January 16th 2021, 7:34 pm
Darth Vader isn't a complicated or a deep character
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

January 16th 2021, 7:52 pm
Thrawn is more interesting than Sidious as a character
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

January 16th 2021, 8:49 pm
HellfireUnit wrote:Darth Vader isn't a complicated or a deep character

I mean it's not THAT hard to understand Vader.

Also been seeing this float about lately, but if you wanna call TFU an "exaggerated medium" and dismiss feats because....reasons.

Then you may as well also dismiss basically a good chunk of the EU as well.

In short, it's dumb to call TFU 'exaggerated' because one can just point to other EU sources and do the same thing, where in some cases it's even WORSE.

Yeah, because Valkorian's whole shtick was COMPLETELY fine and not at all CRAZY AND RIDICULOUS.

Abeloth is COMPLETELY fine and not at all CRAZY AND RIDICULOUS.

So on and so forth...suuure, only TFU is "exaggerated and ridiculous.." ....Come on now.
The Merchant
The Merchant

January 20th 2021, 3:02 pm
Dark empire Luke>DE Palpatine bar Force storm (Empires End Palpatine is noted to have grown stronger which makes sense imo)

By the time of the Swarm War, what Luke did to root himself against Unuthul that made him "immovable to even a black hole" Luke would be able to do that to any version of Palpatines force storm, tank said storm, then just cut down Palps and wall of Light his spirit with ease.
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

January 20th 2021, 3:20 pm
battlefront elite squadron>Battlefront 1
wankdestroyer
wankdestroyer

January 20th 2021, 6:32 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
1. LOTF is overhated.

2. TOR characters are underrated and overrated at the same time.

3. PT>OT as far as overall content from shows, movies, books, etc.

4. EA Battlefront 2>OG Battlefront 2.

5. CW 2003 is only seen as better than TCW because it doesn't have PIS.

6. Maul was better pre-TPM.

7. The Ancient Sith are actually interesting.

8. Too much value is put into accolades/quotes.

9. The Chosen One prophecy is stupid.

10. Suited Vader is a better overall combatant than pre-suit Vader, but neither of them are beating ROTS Sheev or Yoda for even a 1/10.

Last edited by iamthatguy on January 20th 2021, 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

January 20th 2021, 6:50 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
iamthatguy wrote:

3. PT>OT as far as overall content from shows, movies, books, etc.

6. Maul was better pre-TPM.

10. Suited Vader is a better overall combatant than pre-suit Vader, but neither of them are beating ROTS Sheev or Yoda for even a 1/10.

3. Eh..I'm kinda 50/50 on this one honestly, I wouldn't be able to put one over the other.

6. This I'll agree.

10. This....I can agree to an extent in that Anakin does have the capacity to draw on more power, since his mental state isn't compromised. But under a normal circumstance, I can agree that Vader has an edge as a combatant, a bit I feel a few minor ones.
wankdestroyer
wankdestroyer

January 20th 2021, 7:10 pm
As for unpopular character rankings:

1. ROTS Yoda is > ROTS Sidious.

2. Reborn Krayt is in-between ROTJ Sidious and DE Sidious.

3. Grievous is a much better pure duelist than Dooku.

4. Valkorion is slightly under ROTS Sidious.

5. GM Luke is vastly more powerful than DE Sidious.

6. TCW Maul is a tier 9, and is > everybody during the prequels except Yoda, Sidious, and office Windu.

7. Pre-Suit Vader is about even with Plagueis.

8. Darth Caedus is above ROTS Sidious and closer to ROTJ Sidious than he is ROTS Sidious.

9. Starkiller is Savage/Ventress level.

10. TPM Maul could beat ROTS Dooku in a pure duel.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum