Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

Ultimate Lightsaber Form Empty Ultimate Lightsaber Form

August 18th 2019, 3:19 pm
Among all known saber techniques, which one is the superior one? What advantages and disadvantages does it have and how well it performans against other forms?

1 - Shii-Cho
2 - Makashi
3 - Soresu
4 - Ataru
5 - Niman
6 - Shien/Djem So
7 - Juyo (excluding Vaapad)
The Lost
The Lost
Level Five
Level Five

Ultimate Lightsaber Form Empty Re: Ultimate Lightsaber Form

August 18th 2019, 3:21 pm
On average the answer is Juyo. It has the highest barrier to entry due to how demanding it is physically and technically, and it requires high-level of mastery of other forms just as a prerequisite. In fact there's a quote stating that you need to master all of the forms in order to master Juyo.

It has no glaring disadvantages and some edges against some of the other forms, and the lack of defence is mostly circumvented through sheer aggression.
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

August 18th 2019, 3:28 pm
My answer may be cliche but I think Soresu is the best form.
Praxis
Praxis
Moderator | Champion of the Light
Moderator | Champion of the Light

August 18th 2019, 3:30 pm
Soresu imo

Level Seven
Level Seven

August 18th 2019, 3:35 pm
Soresu tbh.
The Lost
The Lost
Level Five
Level Five

August 18th 2019, 3:37 pm
The lightsaber instructor from that in-universe book (I believe it's Jedi Path but could be Jedi vs Sith) thinks Juyo can shred the defence of a Soresu master.
LOTL

August 18th 2019, 3:45 pm
There are other statements claiming that Soresu requires the "deepest connection to the force" to master

Both represent the opposite sides of the spectrum. It mainly is based on which way of fighting you think is better, offense or defense, or which is more capably implemented by the force combatant
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

August 18th 2019, 3:49 pm
Djem-so/Shien is the most balanced one imo
CuckedCurry
CuckedCurry
Level Four
Level Four

August 18th 2019, 3:56 pm
Djem So
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

August 18th 2019, 3:56 pm
In the end it all depends on the user. I think Soresu is the best form because it doesn't have any weaknesses, even though it isn't really suitable for offense. As Mace said:

"I created Vaapad to answer my weakness: it channels my own darkness into a weapon of the light. Master Yoda's Ataru is also an answer to weakness: the limitations of reach and mobility imposed by his stature and his age. But for you? What weakness does Soresu answer?"

Or

"Defense will not slay my enemy."
"You lack the physical strength required for the powerful attacking strikes of Djem So or the other aggressive forms. You must rely on quickness, cunning and, most of all, patience to best your enemies

I think it performs well against anything. Shii-Cho is basic and does worse against single opponents. Makashi can be overwhelmed by great strength, Djem So lacks mobility and Juyo lacks defense and may affect the mental state of the user. Soresu only relies on patience and defense which is why it performs well against anything. I may be wrong though and willing to change my vote.
DarthSkywalker0
DarthSkywalker0

August 18th 2019, 4:22 pm
Djem so has always made the most sense to me, but I have no clue what sources say.
Master Azronger
Master Azronger

August 18th 2019, 4:33 pm
Moved to the appropriate forum

Level Six
Level Six

August 18th 2019, 4:57 pm
My bad, sorry.
CuckedCurry
CuckedCurry
Level Four
Level Four

August 18th 2019, 5:11 pm
Shii-Cho is like the ultimate fall back form
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

August 18th 2019, 5:22 pm
Yeah, Shii-Cho is pretty trash honestly.
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

August 18th 2019, 5:27 pm
DarthSkywalker0 wrote:Djem so has always made the most sense to me, but I have no clue what sources say.

Djem So has to be my favorite along with Makashi but the technique being relied on physical strength and limiting users mobility is quite a disadvantage IMO. If someone gets weaker, Djem So is rendered useless. Soresu is fine under any circumstances.
The Fallen Warrior
The Fallen Warrior
Level Four
Level Four

August 18th 2019, 7:00 pm
form one is the only reason Fisto didn't beat sidious  Ultimate Lightsaber Form 3344068304
O-Siri
O-Siri

August 18th 2019, 7:02 pm
In practice, I think all the forms are similar enough on a fundamental level. You always need good defense and offense for example. Even sources that emphasize the uniqueness of each form stresses this point:

Path of Destruction wrote:Bane had begun by learning the basic techniques common to all seven traditional lightsaber forms. His first weeks had been spent in endless repetitions of defensive postures, overhand strikes, parries, and counter-strikes. By observing the natural tendencies of his students as they learned the basics, Lord Kas'im determined which form would best match their style.

To accomplish this, Kas'im made his students practice sequences, carefully choreographed series of multiple strikes and parries drawn from their chosen style. The sequences were designed by the Blademaster himself so that each maneuver flowed smoothly into the next, maximizing attack efficiency while minimizing defensive exposure.

Once you reach a master level I don't think there is any real reason why you should be at an inherent advantage or disadvantage against another master fighter just because of forms.
PeraltaEagle45
PeraltaEagle45

August 18th 2019, 9:40 pm
Djem So has the fewest weaknesses, Juyo is probably the best overall.
MP
Moderator | Champion of Darkness
Moderator | Champion of Darkness

August 18th 2019, 9:51 pm
Juyo, since by definition you should have mastered at least some other forms that you can fall back on. Anyway, nobody ever uses a form perfectly, their style is always tinged into it based on experience. It's just that the higher level technical masters have more sophisticated styles, whereas lower level combatants still haven't compensated for theoretical weaknesses on a technical level.
IG
IG
Level Four
Level Four

August 23rd 2019, 8:39 am
Just use KOTOR 2’s explanation. Shii Cho has no real weaknesses, and can be used against multiple opponents. All others have at least one glaring weakness. Makashi sucks with blasters, Soresu works against blasters, but not a single melee opponent.
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

August 23rd 2019, 9:34 am
IdrisianGraecus wrote:Just use KOTOR 2’s explanation. Shii Cho has no real weaknesses, and can be used against multiple opponents. All others have at least one glaring weakness. Makashi sucks with blasters, Soresu works against blasters, but not a single melee opponent.

Honestly Shii-Cho is the worst saber technique with most weaknesses. It is not suitable for melee combat and Makashi users stomp Shii-Cho practicers. It is focused on blaster deflecting and against multiple opponents only. That is why they teach it to younglings.
Harbinger Kallig
Harbinger Kallig

August 23rd 2019, 9:46 am
I love Niman myself.
IG
IG
Level Four
Level Four

August 23rd 2019, 10:25 am
I meant, that Shii Cho has no glaring weaknesses, and is not the best technique, but is more balanced than the others. I personally prefer Niman, as it blends Force attacks and lightsaber combat well. Makashi is ill advised against opponents with blasters, and if fighting a single opponent, soresu isn’t the best. Ataru, Juyo, Djem So, & Shien are all too aggressive, but when used correctly are extremely powerful.
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

August 23rd 2019, 1:38 pm
Harbinger Kallig wrote:I love Niman myself.

Honestly Niman is the most underrated form.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum