Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
King Joker
King Joker
Level One
Level One

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Empty Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

December 20th 2019, 11:50 pm
I don't think there's an official discussion thread for this movie, so let this act as one. What did you think of the movie, and more broadly, how do you think it wrapped up the sequel trilogy and the rest of the Skywalker saga? Use the spoiler tag for those who haven't seen it!
MP
Moderator | Champion of Darkness
Moderator | Champion of Darkness

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Empty Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

December 21st 2019, 12:10 am
Spoiler free: overall disappointment; solid movie. Probably best of sequels, still a disaster in the larger scheme of things. Still, not too bad after the hatchet job that was The Last Jedi.
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

December 21st 2019, 2:53 am
It is a f*cking disaster and all of its copies should be burned. Worst Disney Star Wars production so far. Makes Last Jedi look like a masterpiece. J.J. should throw himself off of a cliff.
CuckedCurry
CuckedCurry
Level Four
Level Four

December 21st 2019, 4:10 am
SPOILERS

Too fast-paced, too many plot conveniences, far too much unfunny marvel-like humour, and the worst thing is that I didn’t even feel sadness at any of the character deaths (bar Leia) because the movie just couldn’t hit the tone. Not to mention that 3PO getting his memory back after 30 mins of having it wiped was a huge cop-out. 

However, Daisy, Adam, Ian, Oscar and John absolutely nailed their performances. This was the first movie in the sequel trilogy that actually gave Rey character, and her flirtation with the dark side was incredibly enjoyable. I also thoroughly enjoyed the choreography in this movie, and the Rey v Kylo duel on the Death Star wreckage is up there with some of my favourites. Wankatine’s fleet destroying scene was 10/10 as well.

Overall, I’d give it 6/10
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

December 21st 2019, 8:34 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Gonna see it in about 1.5 hours, will give my thoughts then.
EmperorCaedus
EmperorCaedus
Level Three
Level Three

December 21st 2019, 10:26 am
Excellent movie on its own, but did not treat the Chosen One of their whole saga with respect. Lowers it to a 7/10.
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

December 21st 2019, 1:43 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Just got back, absolutely loved it. I'll rank next to the rest of the saga once I see it again later today with my Dad.
Underachiever599
Underachiever599

December 21st 2019, 2:27 pm
It's sitting at a 7.5/10 for me. What it did well, it did really, really well, in my opinion. But so many minor things that I simply didn't enjoy, or actively disliked, dropped it down a bit in my opinion. It's still hands-down my favorite movie from the ST, though.
Master Azronger
Master Azronger

December 21st 2019, 8:10 pm
I think I'll commit seppuku
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

December 21st 2019, 9:05 pm
How'd you rate it Az and rank the Sequel movies?
darthbane77
darthbane77

December 21st 2019, 10:20 pm
Underachiever599 wrote:It's sitting at a 7.5/10 for me. What it did well, it did really, really well, in my opinion. But so many minor things that I simply didn't enjoy, or actively disliked, dropped it down a bit in my opinion. It's still hands-down my favorite movie from the ST, though.

Pretty much this.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

December 22nd 2019, 9:18 am
Will give my thoughts later. Gonna see it in about an hour.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

December 22nd 2019, 1:48 pm
7/10. Will give a detailed review soon.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

December 22nd 2019, 2:25 pm
Pros

1. Brilliant acting from John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver and Ian Mcdiarmid. 
2. Leia's lightsaber became canon.
3. Cool space battles.
4. Good throwback using the voices of different Jedi.
5. Great music.
6. R2 was actually used, as was C3PO.
7. They developed C3PO as a character.

Cons

1. Pacing. Mfw, it was bad. One minute we're with Rey as she runs back to a ship after the shuttle explosion, then bang! We're someone far away in an asteroid field, then bang! We're back with the First Order. It was pretty disorientating.
2. So many plot holes, for example how were Mace, Luminara, Aayla, Ahsoka, etc. able to talk to Rey? They never trained to become Force ghosts. 
3. Sidious' death was stupi-d (for G0d's sake, get rid of this ridiculous censoring system, mods). Dude can manipulate countless star systems into a war that wiped out the Republic, the Jedi, the Separatists and other threats to his power but can't remember how to turn off his own lightning?
4. Still some major questions: How is Sidious alive? What did he mean by "I am all of the Sith"? Did he mean he's literally housing all of the Sith, or that he's the last Sith? If the former, and if Rey is "all of the Jedi", why are the Jedi > the Sith despite the whole concept of balance? Isn't the balance now disrupted, with one Jedi (at the moment) and no Sith? How did Sidious clone Snoke? Who is Snoke? Why did Ben's body become one with the Force?
5. Luke's lightsaber wasn't in it. The ending would have been a lot more fitting if it had been Luke and Leia's lightsabers that finished the job.
6. It's not Luke's f*cking lightsaber. It's Anakin's. 
7. Anakin did f*ck all except sprout off 2 lines of dialogue in Rey's head and amp her.
8. How. Did. Sheev. Survive? 

Overall rating: 7/10
King Joker
King Joker
Level One
Level One

December 23rd 2019, 8:57 am
Terrible plot with terrible pacing that solidified the sequel trilogy as something that should’ve been aborted before coming to term. 

Acting, visuals, and action were great, though.

5/10.
Master Azronger
Master Azronger

December 24th 2019, 2:27 pm
HellfireUnit wrote:How'd you rate it Az and rank the Sequel movies?

They're all 1/10 and have been getting consecutively worse with each entry.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

December 24th 2019, 2:34 pm
Ok, that’s ridiculous. It was okay, maybe even bad depending on your perspective, but there’s no way it was that bad.
EmperorCaedus
EmperorCaedus
Level Three
Level Three

December 24th 2019, 5:06 pm
The Sequels are pointless in the saga as a whole, but are ok by themselves.
Bart
Bart

December 24th 2019, 8:41 pm
The plot is just a complete aberration. Nearly everything looks like there's no coherent, complete plot at all, more like various individual themes created for the purpose of grand finale without anything to really tie it up. It kind of had to be a disaster from a storytelling perspective, though, it was meant to be. There was no coming back from TFA and TLJ. It's nearly impossible for me to list all the nonsense that fills the story. Honestly, TLJ was a movie that tied up and ended everything, even if in a horrible manner, and it was really clear in ROS. Nearly everything jumped out of nowhere. And honestly, while I could write a better story for ROS... I doubt it would really be a story that could be translated well to a movie. TLJ ended in a manner where Abrams was basically cornered. There was no getting out of it, and it is painfully visible that whole storytelling went to the cesspool. The entire plot of the movie existed for the purpose of having various "cool scenes" and a forced closure, where TLJ ended basically in one already. It's an utter disaster.

I can't deny it's a great visual spectacle, though. The fights, all the action scenes, have way better pacing than in TFA and TLJ, and the action scenes are really just fun to watch if you forget about the plot and just focus on nice stuff happening on the screen. The movie is like those fan videos with lightsaber duels of absolutely no concept and story, where you have people just doing cool lightsaber duel. Yeah, it's exactly like these videos if done professionally. You like to watch fan videos with lightsaber duels and blaster shootouts in costumes? Go ahead and try this movie. It's exactly like all those YouTube videos done by professional studio with millions of dollars of budget.

As far as plot, story, characters go, the only good thing is this movie puts Rose aside. Seriously, that's the only good thing in that department.

The acting is tremendous again, with the exception of Daisy Ridley who again did a 5/10 job. Honestly, Boyega played his part well, it's just character that sucks. Everything on the visual side is either good, awesome, or nearly perfect. John Williams, as always, composed a beautiful music, and the OST in itself is way better than the movie. Movie ruins John's music. Except the fights, when there's no dialogue, those scenes do not waste the perfect music.

The plot is garbage, everything is pointless. The conclusion kriff on the Original Trilogy and makes everything regarding the story of Luke&Leia&Han worthless and pointless.

3/10.
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Level Two
Level Two

December 24th 2019, 9:01 pm
1/10, genuinely. Anyone saying the movie cannot be THAT bad don”t have perspective on what bad and good are, or just have a completely different criteria entirely.
Master Azronger
Master Azronger

December 24th 2019, 9:23 pm
BreakofDawn wrote:Ok, that’s ridiculous. It was okay, maybe even bad depending on your perspective, but there’s no way it was that bad.

No it was kriff
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

December 24th 2019, 10:10 pm
solid movie bad execution 5.5/10
The Ellimist
The Ellimist
Level Five
Level Five

December 24th 2019, 10:13 pm
Spoilers

tl;dr: as a generic movie it's not unusually bad, and it has entertainment value partially because of how unintentionally funny some of the scenes are, but as an installation in the Star Wars Saga it causes severe, crippling damage to the franchise's legacy.

This isn't a comprehensive list, but just off the top of my head - 

The good:

• Acting was good
  • Production quality was good
  • Music was good (albeit not on the level of the original six films)
  • C3PO was funny
  • Rey TK'ing the shuttle was cool
  • Rey -> Kylo lightsaber hand-off was cool
  • Palpatine was intimidating, and his lightning scene was awesome
  • I liked the Reylo kiss
  • Ben Solo was cool, honestly cooler than Kylo
  • The stakes were high
  • It wasn't as "boring" as TLJ
  • Some of the scenes were touching
  • Dark side vision Rey was cool
  • I think Rey's general characterization was the best (of her) of the trilogy

The bad:

• The Knights of Ren were unbearably cringe (but I guess it was unintentionally funny)
  • Leia's scenes are so obviously pasted together
  • The attempted explanation for the Holdo maneuver was 4th wall breaking and poorly done
  • Charging on top of a star destroyer on horse back? Seriously?
  • The "space" battle was uninspired
  • The stormtroopers are comically inept again, not sure if that's lampshading or what
  • Palpatine's plan makes little sense
  • The opening crawl is poorly done
  • The lightsaber duels were unremarkable, except for maybe Kylo and Rey vs. Knights of Ren / Palpatine's guards
  • The fetch quest to find Exogol seemed pointless and cliche
  • "And I...am all the Jedi!" was cringe
  • Hux's story ended as a gaffe, finishing what TLJ started
  • Poe's love interest story was unimaginably poorly paced, with her going from hating him and wanting to turn him into the First Order to supporting and sacrificing for him in like 15 minutes with zero development 
  • There were lots of emotional fake-outs, e.g. Chewie's "death"
  • I don't mind Rey being a Palpatine, but they didn't really capitalize on it in any meaningful way beyond using it as an excuse for her to be tempted to the dark side
  • The movie in general felt really rushed, especially the first half which was essentially exposition
  • Tbh the way Finn and Poe mistreated C3PO was kinda messed up - I know that's a common thing, but still
  • Force healing was a shameless plot device brought in suddenly out of nowhere

The ugly:

• The Chosen One prophecy is now essentially meaningless, and Anakin Skywalker is just some sort of moderately important support character
  • The original six films are severely diminished in their importance
  • Rey's "all of the Jedi" spirit amp was a shameless plot device that made everything else pointless since there's no reason given as to why all the Jedi spirits couldn't just amp anyone at any time, like Yoda in RotS or Luke in RotJ
  • Ben had almost no relevance to the final battle except to apparently convince Rey not to do the initial killing (which itself is confusing), but that was handled poorly and it didn't make sense why Rey was doing something bad in the first place. Then he gets oneshotted by Palpatine and at the end he does heal Rey, but his presence helped Palpatine revive completely anyway so what did he accomplish?
  • Luke's sacrifice on Crait apparently didn't actually inspire anyone like TLJ claimed, but Lando and Chewie in less than a day just come back with this entire fleet of random civilians
  • The movie doesn't feel tied together with either the sequel trilogy or the other two trilogies - it's like a pasted together fan fiction, which is basically what it is.
DarthAdi
DarthAdi

December 24th 2019, 10:36 pm
This movie had big problems, but it was enjoyable.
The bad
-No explanation for how and why is Palpatine back
-The pacing was all over the place
-Maybe a little too much exposition
-Some things were lore breaking
-KOR were semi-useless
-The dialogue was cringy/lame at times
-No Anakin force ghost ( at least we got a voice )
-The choosen one prophesy was cheapened (but i supose this was the case in legends too)
-The last battle was a bit underwhelming for me.

The good
-Palpatine was fun to watch
-The acting was generally good
-Cool efects
-Cool action scenes
-The visuals are superb
-Kylo and Rey had good chemestry
-The soundtrack is once again beautiful. John Williams is a genius.
- Kylo vs Rey lightsaber fight was nice.
Overall it's a 6.5/10 for me.
DarthSkywalker0
DarthSkywalker0

December 24th 2019, 11:09 pm
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ wrote:1/10, genuinely. Anyone saying the movie cannot be THAT bad don”t have perspective on what bad and good are, or just have a completely different criteria entirely.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum