Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/KuX3b8hrrm
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

Who is the more aggressive duelist: Darth Vader or Darth Maul? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who is the more aggressive duelist: Darth Vader or Darth Maul?

January 26th 2020, 12:09 pm
against kenobi particularly
MP
Moderator | Champion of Darkness

Who is the more aggressive duelist: Darth Vader or Darth Maul? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who is the more aggressive duelist: Darth Vader or Darth Maul?

January 26th 2020, 12:11 pm
HellfireUnit wrote:I wasn't referring to one's superiority to other, just an implication of how Vader improved his defences since his last encounter with Kenobi on Mustafar. In my opinion Vader managing to create a form based on the limitations and weaknesses he has is a clear display of skill. Just like Windu creating Vaapad or Yoda's usage of Ataru to overcome their weaknesses. And over the years Vader managing to overcome through the barries and self-recrimination has allowed him to grow rapidly in such a short time. If we count Resurrection canon per EU, pre-ANH Vader seems to be an equal to a Maul who is specifically conjured to defeat Vader by the Prophets of the Dark Side. An "unpolished" Vader who goes through an insane growth post-ANH. That can be used as a case. @Meatpants

Yes, Vader surpassed a lot of barriers, and was extremely skilled. Nobody is denying that, I'm merely sticking by my point that Maul is still more skilled than him.

Res. isn't Legends continuity, I don't consider it.

MP

January 26th 2020, 12:12 pm
The lord of hunger wrote:against kenobi particularly

Darth Vader being approximately comparable to Ben as a duelist is proof that he's more skilled than Maul how?
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

January 26th 2020, 12:14 pm
im talking on a canon perspective however this is a legends discussion....
MP

January 26th 2020, 12:19 pm
Concession accepted.
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

January 26th 2020, 12:52 pm
HellfireUnit wrote:
Meatpants wrote:@HellfireUnit 

How does that prove he's better in technical skill than Maul?

I wasn't referring to one's superiority to other, just an implication of how Vader improved his defences since his last encounter with Kenobi on Mustafar. In my opinion Vader managing to create a form based on the limitations and weaknesses he has is a clear display of skill. Just like Windu creating Vaapad or Yoda's usage of Ataru to overcome their weaknesses. And over the years Vader managing to overcome through the barries and self-recrimination has allowed him to grow rapidly in such a short time. If we count Resurrection canon per EU, pre-ANH Vader seems to be an equal to a Maul who is specifically conjured to defeat Vader by the Prophets of the Dark Side. An "unpolished" Vader who goes through an insane growth post-ANH. That can be used as a case. @Meatpants

Meaning what exactly? That version of Maul, for all intents and purposes, was no different than TPM Maul.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

January 26th 2020, 12:53 pm
@Meatpants Why do you say Maul is more skilled, out of curiosity? I think he'd win matchups more likely than not due to agility and speed as well as reach, but not that he's more technically skilled.
MP

January 26th 2020, 1:02 pm
BoD wrote:@Meatpants Why do you say Maul is more skilled, out of curiosity? I think he'd win matchups more likely than not due to agility and speed as well as reach, but not that he's more technically skilled.

I've already listed my case above. Maul is the most highly trained Sith in galactic history, additionally trained in Jar'Kai and saberstaff fighting, practices religiously every day etc. He's essentially Kas'im on steroids. Not seeing what Vader has on him in pure technical skill.
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

January 26th 2020, 1:27 pm
AlakanSpacewalker wrote:Oh, I thought he used Juyo smh. Where did you get him using those other forms from?
Here:
"Databank: A master of various disciplines, including Juyo, Jar'Kai, and Teras Kasi, Darth Maul chose to use a red double-bladed lightsaber for combat."  Star Wars Insider Issue #109.
"Fighting skills: Master of Juyo, Jar'Kai and Teras Kasi." Star Wars: The Clone Wars Magazine Issue #13.
"It strikes me as unnecessary, but I won't deny his mastery of the Jar'Kai technique." Darth Plagueis Novel.
"Maul was already moving. Dropping his end of the crate, he leapt forward, activating his lightsaber midair, and executed a weightless Ataru-style spin, ducking the volley of blasterfire and swinging the blade in an arc at the Trandoshan's neck." Maul: Lockdown.
"Maul's entire existence had consisted of training, of exercise and instruction. Early in his life, before his voice had deepened, Maul had learned the intricate movements and forms of the teras kasi fighting style, the patterns of movements based on the hunting characteristics of various beasts throughout the galaxy: Charging Wampa, Rancor Rising, Dancing Dragon-snake, and many more. He had practiced gymnastics in environments ranging from zero-g to gravity fields twice that of Coruscant's. He had mastered the intricate and dangerous use of the double bladed lightsaber.''  Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter.
"In a lightsaber duel, confidence is always a good thing. But when confidence turns to arrogance, the duelist can easily throw away what seems to be a certain victory. Sith Lord Darth Maul was so sure of his skills that he believed he could defeat two Jedi at once. When Maul battled Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi at the same time on Naboo, at first he seemed right. Thanks to his mastery of martial arts and his deadly saberstaff, Darth Maul was a fearsome opponent for the Jedi." — Star Wars Jedi Battles (2013).

Last edited by Latham2000 on February 29th 2020, 7:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Wandering Jedi
Wandering Jedi

January 26th 2020, 4:46 pm
Darth Maul is aggressive, while Vader is chill.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum