Suspect Insight Forums

Go down
LadyKulvax
LadyKulvax
Level Two
Level Two

Exar Kun: The Ultimate Respect Thread (2020) - Page 4 Empty Re: Exar Kun: The Ultimate Respect Thread (2020)

on Fri May 22, 2020 10:20 pm
That's what google translate says, Decaf and I have contacted actual French-speaking people to clarify:

Exar Kun: The Ultimate Respect Thread (2020) - Page 4 Screen_Shot_2020-05-22_at_9.48.29_PM

Fair enough on the respective part though.
Jaggarath
Jaggarath

Exar Kun: The Ultimate Respect Thread (2020) - Page 4 Empty Re: Exar Kun: The Ultimate Respect Thread (2020)

on Fri May 22, 2020 10:23 pm
No, four sites (Google Translate, Yandex Translate, French Wiktionary, and Translate.com) repeat what I said. I'm more inclined to go with them than some random guy who says "or some shit like that" after looking at it.
LadyKulvax
LadyKulvax
Level Two
Level Two

on Fri May 22, 2020 10:27 pm
Online translation sites are notoriously bad at translating on anything more than a few words, and his only point about 'some shit' is the part referring to amicable, which he clarifies has a poor syntax involved. He's not unclear about anything else.
Jaggarath
Jaggarath

on Fri May 22, 2020 10:29 pm
Yes, and those specific "few words" are what I was looking at, and they effectively mean "to be of the same size; to be equal talent, in fortune, in glory, etc."  

Feel free to consult a French linguist, but otherwise I don't think there's any basis to prioritize random Discorder over proper French websites assessing these things. 

E.g. https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/ne_pas_jouer_dans_la_m%C3%AAme_cour
LadyKulvax
LadyKulvax
Level Two
Level Two

on Fri May 22, 2020 10:33 pm
Until a proper French-speaking person says otherwise, I am keeping it as has been said. But to sate your desire for flarification Decaf has already contacted others to find clarification on the matter.
Decaf_Beverages
Decaf_Beverages

on Sat May 23, 2020 3:56 am
@Jaggarath wrote:Lls jouent dans la meme cour que Vador et Palpatine et sont plutot moins aimables qu’eux.

Lls jouent dans = They play in 
La meme cour = the same court
Que Vador et Palpatine = as Vader and Palpatine
et sont plutot moins aimables qu’eu = and are rather less friendly than them. 

I recommend updating your translation. The translation "they play in the same court" is, apparently, a common French phrase to roughly mean to "to be of the same size; to be equal talent, in fortune, in glory, etc." There's not really a basis to say it's referencing uniquely referencing power when there's obviously many other parallels you can draw between them all. And it's rather unlikely it's about power unless it's insinuating Kun, Droma, Palpatine, and Vader are all of comparable strength (???). Notice it never says "respectively" and, if you were to add that in, that would put Kun with Vader and Droma with Palpatine as it writes Kun and Droma but then Vader and Palpatine.

Cool find, though. Exar Kun: The Ultimate Respect Thread (2020) - Page 4 1289255181

I do have the benefit of living in Canada and having access to many people who's first language is french. This is the translation I am getting from one of them on discord, and two more in real life are confirming it for me. 

Exar Kun: The Ultimate Respect Thread (2020) - Page 4 Screen13

Direct translations between french and english don't really work all that easily, and every french speaker I have talked to have confirmed it is referring to strength given that context. I think we will need a more direct translation from multiple sources. My french is good enough to loosely translate and read these works, but not give insight on how to directly translate the meaning behind them. However I will note that even your website's (https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/ne_pas_jouer_dans_la_m%C3%AAme_cour ) example given gives us two synonyms, one of which is "ne pas boxer dans la meme categorie" which means roughly "boxing in the same weight class" and one which roughly means "playing in the same category"

Furthermore, even in that website's context we get the phrase 

Même dans l'éducation cette hiérarchie est présente : Docteur et Professeur ne jouent pas dans la même cour et la hiérarchie même plus souple doit être respectée. 

Which implies that Doctors and Professors do not play in the same court, and that such a hierarchy should be respected. So clearly even given the most literal interpretation physically possible it can refer to some kind of gap in knowledge or ability

Furthermore if your going to post the bit about "Ne pas être de la même envergure  ; être inégal  en talent, en fortune, en gloire, etc." at least post the part that follows it up "Se dit particulièrement pour montrer la supériorité dans un domaine quelconque ou écraser autrui de son mépris" meaning Especially said to show superiority in any field or to crush others with their contemp

Last edited by Decaf_Beverages on Sat May 23, 2020 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Decaf_Beverages
Decaf_Beverages

on Sat May 23, 2020 4:16 am
@LadyKulvax wrote:Until a proper French-speaking person says otherwise, I am keeping it as has been said. But to sate your desire for flarification Decaf has already contacted others to find clarification on the matter.

Read my above post
LadyKulvax
LadyKulvax
Level Two
Level Two

on Sat May 23, 2020 5:11 am
Very well put Decaf.

Also, thanks to everybody for 4,000 views. I hope the thread has provided you all with new information of a sort. If anyone has any questions please comment them.
KingofBlades
KingofBlades
Level One
Level One

on Sat May 23, 2020 9:39 pm
Exar Kun: The Ultimate Respect Thread (2020) - Page 4 Screen10
This is what the quote says according to someone who reads french.
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level One
Level One

on Sun May 24, 2020 1:30 am
Now we are consulting the French people to clarify quotes Exar Kun: The Ultimate Respect Thread (2020) - Page 4 3344068304
Decaf_Beverages
Decaf_Beverages

on Sun May 24, 2020 5:19 am
@KingofBlades wrote:Exar Kun: The Ultimate Respect Thread (2020) - Page 4 Screen10
This is what the quote says according to someone who reads french.

I'd like to see how that translation is being gotten, like a breakdown. It outright says they are less amicable. That part alone is fairly cut and dry, the part that I personally wasnt able to translate is the "in the same court" part which Ant kindly provided a source for that would indicate the meaning of the term"in the same court" would exclusively refer to some kind of measurement of ability, providing numerous examples
S_W_LeGenD
S_W_LeGenD

on Sun May 24, 2020 12:24 pm
The entire French-related exchange is hilarious. LMAO.

I need to arrange popcorn...
The Dark Apprentice
The Dark Apprentice
Level Two
Level Two

on Tue May 26, 2020 5:15 pm
@Decaf_Beverages wrote:
@Azronger wrote:@KingofBlades Kun's lightsaber is revealed to be a dark side nexus in the KotOR comics.

I think it was probably him that made it a nexus to begin with, it wasn't an artifact, it was something he created of his own ability

I have no stake but here are the scans I was able to find:

Exar Kun: The Ultimate Respect Thread (2020) - Page 4 SzNHu6qFSsCci9SurBJbm9holitQPnP8wX02-gi6woK6I2lpw0SMfYC03_5f5TfTfC1A4XTc7K30=s1600
Exar Kun: The Ultimate Respect Thread (2020) - Page 4 IzkqAgs1TaZ2w01w83ogJyzXQfjpjZXvzMQGEVhbCn-8z_hU0aino3mgMePbtwcMl5y-y0S1TDhl=s1600
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum