Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/KuX3b8hrrm
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

Is “Old Wounds” now canon? Empty Is “Old Wounds” now canon?

August 12th 2019, 6:19 pm
Star Wars Legends Epic Collection Volume 4, published in 2018, collects Star Wars comics from the old classic EU, it has the Legends banner in the first few pages:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hYJzF14ORHw/WwYWIA5cqtI/AAAAAAAAA-k/KEvcJF9cgwMp_fYa_WxfniZmQ0K1zO0CwCHMYCw/s1600/RCO001.jpg

It has a page listing the stories that it has collected, and it even has the Legends banner, the list includes Aaron Mcbride’s Old Wounds comic from 2005 Visionaries:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LpxP2A7cdBg/WwYWJSi4D3I/AAAAAAAAA-8/IPnJKGXxcMouvsj1HUJqXpr62xl40SRSQCHMYCw/s1600/RCO004.jpg

And if you read through the collection, the first 5 comics collected are Vader comics, but the sixth one is Old Wounds. Wouldn’t this now mean that Old Wounds canonicity in the Legends continuity has been validated as of 2018 onwards? I know that Leland Chee said that Old Wounds took place in an alternate continuity back in 2005, but that was 14 years ago, and it’s not uncommon that the Star Wars Expanded Universe gets contradictions/retconns, things are subject to change in the Star Wars universe.
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

Is “Old Wounds” now canon? Empty Re: Is “Old Wounds” now canon?

August 12th 2019, 6:42 pm
Hm, that's interesting. Though, Star Wars Infinities also have the Legends banner on it, so I'm not sure the banner alone is enough. 

Is “Old Wounds” now canon? 514SZgImD6L

Still, it's seemingly being treated the same way all the other Legends comics are. I'll look into it.
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

August 12th 2019, 6:51 pm
So, they released the Star Wars Infinities volume together. The fact they released Old Wounds with the actual Legends comics and not the Infinities comics is interesting. I think it's definitely possible you can say this canonized Old Wounds within the Legends continuity. Perhaps we should ask Martin or Pablo?

August 12th 2019, 7:02 pm
I don't think the Legends banner is enough for the reasons given by Ant and it's pretty much impossible for it to be part of continuity given the existence of TCW.
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

August 12th 2019, 8:28 pm
Yeah someone should ask Matt or Pablo, it’s worth a try, though I’ve seen SW authorities dodge questions on Twitter quite a few times Is “Old Wounds” now canon? 2208776636

Old Wounds is a pre-TCW source, the OCW micro series was in continuity too, but TCW came and replaced it, so if Old Wounds is truly now a part of Legends canon, it would fall in a similar position that the OCW micro series is in.
LOTL

August 12th 2019, 11:11 pm
DarthAnt66 wrote:So, they released the Star Wars Infinities volume together. The fact they released Old Wounds with the actual Legends comics and not the Infinities comics is interesting. I think it's definitely possible you can say this canonized Old Wounds within the Legends continuity. Perhaps we should ask Martin or Pablo?

Have they ever given responses?
CuckedCurry
CuckedCurry
Level Four
Level Four

August 13th 2019, 3:40 am
Lotl gagging for that Kenobi wank
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

August 13th 2019, 1:23 pm
Matt Martin doesn't answer the "Is this canon?" questions anymore, so you're better off asking Pablo or Leland, assuming that they aren't tired of these questions. This is getting even more confusing because the entire Visionaries comic collection now has the Legends banner for some reason...

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/38W2dQWN11NJSi2gt1gJOgqp5QHiTveK55TLm0GrA1xla5qzRcAve3Aj7o5yu70RRyNGJakL36I=s0

Are they just randomly stamping the Legends banner to make money?
darthbane77
darthbane77

August 13th 2019, 4:55 pm
It clashes with TCW too much to be canon, imo. Maul in the comic says he was on Geonosis a day after the battle, and Kamino two days after Kenobi had been. TCW mandates that Maul was on Lotho Minor descending into madness at that time. Since TCW overrules C-Canon content, Old Wounds would still be largely non-canonical.
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

August 13th 2019, 6:52 pm
darthbane77 wrote:It clashes with TCW too much to be canon, imo. Maul in the comic says he was on Geonosis a day after the battle, and Kamino two days after Kenobi had been. TCW mandates that Maul was on Lotho Minor descending into madness at that time. Since TCW overrules C-Canon content, Old Wounds would still be largely non-canonical.

We can reconcile that by saying that Maul is a retard with memory loss.
darthbane77
darthbane77

August 13th 2019, 7:55 pm
DC77 (Reborn) wrote:
darthbane77 wrote:It clashes with TCW too much to be canon, imo. Maul in the comic says he was on Geonosis a day after the battle, and Kamino two days after Kenobi had been. TCW mandates that Maul was on Lotho Minor descending into madness at that time. Since TCW overrules C-Canon content, Old Wounds would still be largely non-canonical.

Lmao.

Solid plan.
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

August 13th 2019, 8:54 pm
Glad you like it.

Is “Old Wounds” now canon? 228124001
darthbane77
darthbane77

August 13th 2019, 9:02 pm
Is “Old Wounds” now canon? 1289255181

August 13th 2019, 9:21 pm

Is “Old Wounds” now canon? 1076326320
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

August 14th 2019, 12:43 am
Is “Old Wounds” now canon? 4037459623
Master Azronger
Master Azronger

August 14th 2019, 2:23 am
DC77 (Reborn) wrote:

Hmm...

He hated his circumstances. Hated the tunnels and all the vermin that ventured into them. Hated being hungry, and being unable to rest without some other creature trying to take a bite out of him. Hated that he knew all those distractions were meaningless. The primary object of his hatred was something far more significant, something he despised with such incredible intensity that he...

Can't remember.

Hated his bad memory too.

How had he arrived at this place? How long had he been living like a wild animal? His yellow eyes darted back and forth, sweeping the tunnel as if he might find a helpful answer in the shadowy nooks, amidst the gnawed bones of small creatures that littered the ground.

Nothing.

He grimaced. He wanted to remember. He wanted to know.

The frustration was like a painful itch that he knew he could never ever scratch. He lowered one hand to his side, and his fingertips brushed against one of his cold metal legs.

Wasn’t always... like this.

He knew that he wasn’t a man anymore, that he hadn’t been one for years. He was just a creature in a filthy tunnel. And then he remembered the object of his hatred.

A man... the man who left me for dead.

The hatred surged through his veins, filling him with the urge to kill anything within reach. He surveyed the skeletons and rolling carcasses on the tunnel’s floor, then used his droid legs to launch several swift and vicious kicks that sent bones crashing against the walls. Finding a large rib cage, he seized it and brought it down hard across the back of one metal leg, then threw aside the splintered bones. He found no satisfaction in this petty destruction. He only hated more.

Why can’t I remember?!

Balling his hands into tight fists, he felt his sharp, dirty fingernails dig into the bases of his leathery palms. He gnashed his teeth and squeezed his eyes shut as he struggled to conjure up a memory, any memory, that would help him recall his own identity.

Star Wars: The Wrath of Darth Maul

It might work.
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

August 14th 2019, 11:52 am
KEK.

But in all seriousness, the Maul depicted in Old Wounds is a different iteration to the Maul depicted in TCW. Their characterisation is different. Maul in Old Wounds has such a hard on for Kenobi that he declared that he's been stalking him since 22 BBY (6 years before finally catching up with him), missing him on Kamino by only 2 days, then missing him on Geonosis by a day, and being on his trail on Mustafar by mere minutes. In fact, the author of Old Wounds (Aaron Mcbride) said that Maul had been looking for Obi-Wan for nearly 20 years, implying that Maul got his new cybernetic legs not too long after his bisection. So for the past 16 years, Maul's been doing nothing but stalking Obi-Wan, while somehow managing to remain undetected by Palpatine and the Jedi, likely because he doesn't care about anything except getting revenge on Obi-Wan, hence why he says ""No. There is no Palpatine. No Empire. No Jedi. There is no Light. No Dark... Just you and I here now!"

Maul's characterisation in TCW was more broad. He was also obsessed with vengeance against Obi-Wan, but he needed Talzin and Opress to bring him back in the big picture. And by the time he finally returned to the galaxy, he publicly declared his return to get Obi-Wan's attention, as opposed to trying to find him in a crowded galaxy that has billions of other people. But Maul also had goals beyond mere vengeance.
The Lost
The Lost
Level Five
Level Five

August 14th 2019, 12:39 pm
I mean, the whole point of "Legends" is that now all of these stories are just "Legends" which vary wildly in terms of their veracity, even if there is "some truth" to them. Only canon is canon. So I don't really see the issue with making the likes of Old Wounds or Resurrection "Legends".
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

August 14th 2019, 2:37 pm
Old Wounds never got any validation to be canon in the old EU that now gets called "Legends". It was Infinities material or N Canon by the old Canon system, but things in the EU were subject to change, I'm just pondering whether Old Wounds' canonicity in the old EU has recieved some change from last year's Star Wars Legends Epic Collection Volume 4.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum