Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Thrawn
Thrawn

Ezra Bridger met how many characters? Empty Ezra Bridger met how many characters?

October 7th 2020, 8:30 pm
I saw someone mention this on a reddit thread.

I thought Rebels was mediocre in general, with only about 3 or 4 legitimately great episodes.

Ezra is a character I detest. I found him to be an insufferable little brat. I think he's one of the worst Star Wars characters in the entire franchise actually.

When you look at Ezra's adventures with the Ghost Crew span a year? Maybe two years?

Ezra meets almost every single important character, galactic legend, and influential character in the franchise.

1. Lando
2. Bo Katan - The leader of Mandalore
3. Hondo Onaka
4. Mon Mothma
5. Princess Leia
6. Bail Organa
7. Commander Rex - Former Commander of the 501st.
8. Gregor - A former Republic Commando - Super Rare unit
9. Wedge Antilles
10. Ahsoka
11. Obi Wan
12. R2D2
13. C3PO
14. Bail Organa
15. Darth Maul
16. Grand Admiral Thrawn
17. Darth Vader
18. The Emperor.
19. Yoda

That's insane.

About the only ones he didn't meet were Han, Chewie, Luke, Boba Fett, Tarkin, and Cad Bane.

That's fairly unbelievable and reinforces my opinion that Rebels was mostly mediocre badly written garbage outside of a few bright spots.

I know a lot of fans place a lot of faith in Filoni after Clone Wars, but he had George Lucas guiding him.

Rebels was Filoni without George Lucas. And that's what we got.

Thoughts?
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

Ezra Bridger met how many characters? Empty Re: Ezra Bridger met how many characters?

October 7th 2020, 9:24 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Yeah I kinda agree with this, plus in all honesty it made the Rebellion seem....small. They only focused on one cell and I feel like that's where a majority of it just felt very...well small. I mean they could have at least jumped to different Rebel cells, but they stuck with the one and speaking of...how many fleets did they engage and survive against? Let alone Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Yeah you know I think that's what really grinds my gears. The Empire apparently was so bad, they called in THE Grand Admiral Thrawn.....yeah, yeah I get it fan service. But narratively? Thrawn should have far more important things in the chain of command to be doing than dealing with a single Rebel cell which honesty should be able to be handled by the Sector Moff and the Officers under him.  Oh wait...I forgot, in this show the Empire held the idiot ball for the majority of the series, so all the Officers were basically useless!

Oh Thrawn was needed for the Defender project because apparently Lothal just so happens to have this...rare fuel needed for them that can't be found anywhere else? So let's see...not only does Ezra meet all these characters, but he's also directly involved with destroying one of the most powerful and beloved(by fans) ships of the GE before it even gets off the ground?

Let's just ignore the fact that the Defender wasn't even Thrawn's idea before, they just added him for blatant fan service because he's popular. DO NOT say that wasn't the case, because anyone who's anyone knows that's true.

They tug at nostaliga strings by putting in all these familiar characters to get views...but that's not what makes a story. The galaxy doesn't revolve around these characters...yeah sure these characters are popular, but guess what? At one point and I know this is going to sound shocking...they weren't popular right out the gate.

The big name in all of this OT characters aside, Thrawn...didn't just amass popularity out of nowhere, at one point he was just a good written character and that propelled him to a character of popularity. Like...just wite good characters and they will be liked.

I know for a FACT that the Imperials in Rebels on Lothal were utterly wasted....and for no reason. They had all these characters for a good story, but no...they had to shove in all these OT characters and TCW because...I feel like they just gave up on any new ones.

Last edited by Zenwolf on October 7th 2020, 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thrawn
Thrawn

Ezra Bridger met how many characters? Empty Re: Ezra Bridger met how many characters?

October 7th 2020, 9:39 pm
I also noticed that they made a point of letting Hera fly every vehicle they could.

Introduce the B-Wing? Make sure Hera is the pilot and canonically the first person to ever fly one.

Introduce X-Wings? Make sure Hera is leading the charge. She completely outclasses Wedge. One of the best pilots in the franchise.

I think she pilots an a-wing too.

The Ghost Crew was so bad.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

October 7th 2020, 9:49 pm
Thrawn wrote:I also noticed that they made a point of letting Hera fly every vehicle they could.

Introduce the B-Wing? Make sure Hera is the pilot and canonically the first person to ever fly one.

Introduce X-Wings? Make sure Hera is leading the charge. She completely outclasses Wedge. One of the best pilots in the franchise.

I think she pilots an a-wing too.

The Ghost Crew was so bad.  

Ugh....don't get me started on the fact the X-wings just up and showed out of nowhere. They couldn't at least show the Z-95 Headhunters? How does a Rebel cell suddenly get these state of the art fighters without any explanation?
Underachiever599
Underachiever599

October 8th 2020, 2:40 am
Eh, I have a few quibbles with this. First, the Ghost cell was operating for ~5 years (the show starts with Ezra at 14 years old, and he turns 15 midway through Season 1, on the 15th anniversary of the foundation of the Empire. The show ends immediately before the events of Rogue One, putting Ezra around 19 years old). It's also worth pointing out that in the first year that the Ghost crew was active, the only other major Rebel "cells" active in the galaxy were Saw Gerrera's partisans and the Ryloth rebels. Since the rebels on Ryloth were only focused on their one little backwater planet, they weren't a huge priority for the Empire. And with Gerrera's partisans being such extremists, they weren't heavily connected to the greater Rebellion. This helps explain why the Ghost crew has so many connections to prominent rebels and run ins with major Imperial figures. This is especially true considering one member of the Ghost crew is a surviving Jedi (which is extremely, extremely rare by this point in time thanks to Vader and the Inquisitors).

So, let's go down the list you made.

1. Lando - I agree, he was useless fanservice that was used to keep people invested early on. Also an excuse to bring Billy Dee Williams back into the fold as Lando after all those years, which lead to his appearance in The Rise of Skywalker.

2. Bo Katan - The leader of Mandalore - One of the main characters of the series is a Mandalorian, and there was a major plot detail that needed addressed. Between the events of The Clone Wars and A New Hope, Mandalorians basically disappeared from the Galaxy. It would be weird not to include the leader of the Mandalorians if the show intended to address this major continuity detail.

3. Hondo Onaka - Once again, I agree. He was more useless fanservice, this time a result of Hondo being one of Filoni's babies. It's not uncommon for story writers to like reusing characters that they'd created before in future stories. Even the best authors in the old Star Wars Expanded Universe are no exception to this. Look at how many characters Timothy Zahn introduced, and reused over and over and over in almost every story he wrote, whether the story called for those exact characters to appear or not.

4. Mon Mothma - Makes perfect sense in context. Rebels was all about how the Rebellion went from individual cells to a greater Rebel Alliance. It would be weird for the leader of said Rebel Alliance to never make an appearance, when that's literally the overarching plot of the series.

5. Princess Leia - Once again, makes sense. The series established in the first season that Hera had connections to Bail Organa, and we know from an abundance of sources that Leia had been active in the Rebellion since her early teenage years, under the cover of an Imperial Ambassador. Is it fanservice? Yes, obviously. But with the established connection the Ghost crew had to the Alderaanian rebel cell, it's no surprise that she made an appearance.

6. Bail Organa - Once again, the series is about the formation of the Rebel Alliance. Bail Organa was a major, key figure in the Rebellion, and Alderaan provided many of the ships used in the Rebellion. It would have made no sense not to include Bail Organa in the series.

7. Commander Rex - Former Commander of the 501st. - Fanservice, yes. But as established with Hondo, story writers like reusing the characters they helped create. Also, it does make sense for surviving Clones to join the Rebellion. They fought against the Sith during the Clone Wars, so if they broke free of their brainwashing and realized the Sith were leading the Empire? You can bet they'd probably fight against it. Besides, the Clones brought a valuable level of military strategy to the crew that had so far been sorely lacking. (Also, it helped create a fun bit of continuity, by allowing Rex to replace "Nik Sant" on Endor in RotJ.) I do wish they'd done something between Rex and Vader, though. Drives me nuts that the two never got an interaction on screen.

8. Gregor - A former Republic Commando - Super Rare unit - Yeah, no, that one was just pure fanservice used to pad out the list of surviving Clone Troopers who wouldn't have committed Order 66. Gregor was far away from other Jedi, so it makes sense that he wouldn't have killed any when the order came down. I just don't know how he would have meet up with Rex and Wolffe.

9. Wedge Antilles - Same as Bail, Mon Mothma, and Leia. More specifically, one of the outside stories explicitly mentioned that Wedge had been recruited by Fulcrum (I believe the book mentioned it before Season 2 even began airing). Given Rebels is the series that introduced that code name, it was inevitable that he would be recruited during the course of the show.

10. Ahsoka - Same as Hondo and Rex. She's Filoni's baby. Yes, it's complete fanservice to include her, but Filoni apparently always intended to have her survive Order 66. With one of the main characters being a Jedi, it's not too much of a stretch to have that Jedi meet Ahsoka. Even more relevant, Ahsoka had ties to Bail Organa. Personally, I think it's weird we don't have more stories of her doing stuff for the Rebellion between the events of the Ahsoka novel and Star Wars Rebels.

11. Obi Wan - Absolute fanservice. Purely there to tie up the loose end created by Maul's survival at the end of Season 2, when Maul was originally going to be killed by Vader, apparently. Personally, I wish they'd left Ezra out of it and let Maul and Kenobi's story conclude in the live action Kenobi series rather than putting that conclusion in Rebels.

12. R2D2/13. C3PO - They're the personal droids of Bail Organa at this point in time. The opening of A New Hope clearly established that they take part in missions for the Rebellion. If Bail is going to be involved in the series, it shouldn't be any shock that R2-D2 and C-3PO are in it as well.

14. Bail Organa - You clearly didn't proofread, as you'd already mentioned Bail.

15. Darth Maul - Yeah, fanservice. Again, I wish Maul and Kenobi's story concluded in the live action Kenobi series. I felt Maul's inclusion in the Season 2 finale and the events of Season 3 was entirely unnecessary.

16. Grand Admiral Thrawn - Fanservice, sure, but also totally made sense in context. By this point in time, multiple Rebel cells were sharing resources, and for the first time since the foundation of the Empire, the Rebellion was becoming an actual threat to major Imperial efforts. Conventional Imperial leadership hadn't been able to handle the problem adequately, and Vader and Tarkin had more important things to do than deal with the fledgling Rebellion 24/7. So now that the Rebellion was organizing into a proper military opponent, it was time to bring in a proper tactician to deal with them. Thrawn was the logical choice, both for his role within the Empire and how much he meant to fans.

17. Darth Vader - Two of the main characters were Jedi. Vader explicitly spent 19 years between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope hunting down and killing every Jedi. It's not fanservice to include Vader. If anything, he was criminally underused. I just don't imagine Vader being willing to let Kanan and Ezra run around for two years completely unimpeded after the events of the Season 2 finale. With the entire Inquisitorious dead, with what we know of Vader, he should have taken a more personal and direct interest in killing the Jedi still harrowing Imperial projects.

18. The Emperor - Yeah, fanservice, but fanservice that had been heavily foreshadowed. We knew from the first episode of Season 2 that the Emperor had a personal interest in Lothal. And with the introduction of the World Between Worlds, it's only natural that the most powerful Force user alive would want access to something like that. You can't introduce a plot element that powerful and not throw in an equally powerful baddie to prevent the main characters from abusing it. Palpatine's inclusion was almost a necessity at that point due to escalation.

19. Yoda - Once again, one of the main characters was a Jedi. A survivor of Order 66. We know from Empire Strikes Back that Yoda can reach out across the Galaxy. Ge'd been able to watch Luke for the past 22 years and know basically everything about Luke before he even landed on Dagobah to seek out Yoda. It's not at all a stretch to imagine Yoda being able to communicate with a trained Jedi from Dagobah, especially when the Jedi is in a place powerfully connected to the Force, like the Lothal Temple. Was Yoda entirely necessary? No, he is still technically fanservice, but his inclusion isn't forced or unnatural. It works just fine with the narrative of the series.

So, all told, among your many complaints, only Lando, Hondo, Gregor, Obi-Wan, and Maul really weren't perfectly natural for the story being told. And even then, Lando and Hondo fit in with the themes of scum and villainy that the Rebellion had to work with in order to secure supplies, and Gregor was as good an addition as any to pad out the list of Clone survivors who wouldn't have executed Order 66. The only characters I'd actually have cut entirely from your list are Obi-Wan and Maul.

Now, with all of that said, does the Ghost Crew's run-ins with all these huge, prominent characters make the galaxy feel a little small? Yeah, a bit. But don't forget just how big fate and destiny are in Star Wars, as a result of the Force guiding all things. Luke Skywalker just happened to come into possession of the protocol droid his father built, along with his dad's old astromech, which contained a message from his long lost sister meant for his dad's old best friend. The Millennium Falcon happened to have hyperdrive issues within just a short jaunt of one of Han Solo's oldest acquaintances. Luke crash lands on Dagobah within walking distance of Yoda, despite having no idea where Yoda is on an entire planet. Qui-Gon just randomly stumbles across the Chosen One, who has gone unnoticed by the Jedi Order for 9 years, because the ship he was on was too beat up to keep flying and had to set down on Tatooine. Need I dig for more? The Star Wars galaxy has always been small and full of coincidences and chance meetings.
Underachiever599
Underachiever599

October 8th 2020, 3:06 am
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Just for fun, I want to re contextualize your complaint: Luke Skywalker Met How Many Characters?

When you look at Luke's adventures with the Rebellion span three years? Maybe four years?

Luke meets almost every single important character, galactic legend, and influential character in the franchise.

1. Lando
2. Han Solo
3. Boba Fett - The most notorious bounty hunter in the Galaxy
4. Mon Mothma
5. Princess Leia - his long lost sister, separated at birth!
6. Admiral Ackbar
8. Mara Jade (Star Wars: Choices of One by Timothy Zahn) - his future wife!
9. Wedge Antilles
10. Jabba the Hutt - the most powerful crime lord in the Galaxy
11. Obi Wan
12. R2D2
13. C3PO
14. Admiral Ackbar
15. Chewbacca - One of Yoda's friends from the Clone Wars! What are the odds?
16. General Veers - The only competent Imperial officer in the saga!
17. Darth Vader
18. The Emperor.
19. Yoda

That's insane.

About the only ones he didn't meet were Ezra, Kanan, Hera, Zeb, Sabine, and Cad Bane.

That's fairly unbelievable and reinforces my opinion that Star Wars was mostly mediocre badly written garbage outside of a few bright spots.
Thrawn
Thrawn

October 8th 2020, 7:00 am
Underachiever599 wrote:Just for fun, I want to re contextualize your complaint: Luke Skywalker Met How Many Characters?

When you look at Luke's adventures with the Rebellion span three years? Maybe four years?

Luke meets almost every single important character, galactic legend, and influential character in the franchise.

1. Lando
2. Han Solo
4. Mon Mothma
6. Admiral Ackbar
9. Wedge Antilles
11. Obi Wan
12. R2D2
13. C3PO
14. Admiral Ackbar
17. Darth Vader
18. The Emperor.
19. Yoda

That's insane.

About the only ones he didn't meet were Ezra, Kanan, Hera, Zeb, Sabine, and Cad Bane.

That's fairly unbelievable and reinforces my opinion that Star Wars was mostly mediocre badly written garbage outside of a few bright spots.

This one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen in a long time.

Luke is the main character of the franchise created by the literal creator George Lucas.

Those characters didn't exist before the OT, and their significance to fans and the universe is predicated on their place in the Adventures of Luke Skywalker - as outlined on the opening page of the novelization.

If that's your defense, try again.

It's fine if you like Rebels though.
Underachiever599
Underachiever599

October 8th 2020, 2:33 pm
Thrawn wrote:
Underachiever599 wrote:Just for fun, I want to re contextualize your complaint: Luke Skywalker Met How Many Characters?

1. Lando
2. Han Solo
4. Mon Mothma
6. Admiral Ackbar
9. Wedge Antilles
11. Obi Wan
12. R2D2
13. C3PO
14. Admiral Ackbar
17. Darth Vader
18. The Emperor.
19. Yoda

That's insane.

This one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen in a long time.

Luke is the main character of the franchise created by the literal creator George Lucas.

Those characters didn't exist before the OT, and their significance to fans and the universe is predicated on their place in the Adventures of Luke Skywalker - as outlined on the opening page of the novelization.

If that's your defense, try again.

It's fine if you like Rebels though.

My defense was the post above that one. The post you quoted was just me having a bit of fun. So what if Luke is the main character of the entire franchise? He still met even more
"important characters, galactic legends, and influential characters" than Ezra in his three movie appearances than Ezra met in four seasons of television, in a much shorter span of time. You could make the same complaint for Ahsoka in The Clone Wars. The fact is, the Star Wars universe is small, full of chance meetings between characters who have no business regularly bumping into each other in an entire sprawling galaxy, and yet they somehow keep running into each other. Your complaint is entirely pointless, because it happens across the entire franchise with pretty much every main character. That's just the kind of story Star Wars is. At least most of the characters Ezra met worked within the story that Rebels was telling, as I demonstrated in the post above the one you quoted.
Thrawn
Thrawn

October 8th 2020, 3:05 pm
Underachiever599 wrote:So what if Luke is the main character of the entire franchise?

Because Star Wars is an adventure series and Luke is the main character. The OT Star Wars Saga is the adventures of Luke Skywalker.

You overlook the fact that all of those characters are significant because they are central to the adventures of Luke Skywalker.

It was Luke's destiny to cause the downfall of the Empire.

It's an illogical argument.  

Our main character destined to be the greatest hero in the galaxy met a lot of famous people.

Uh...yeah?

Your complaint is entirely pointless, because it happens across the entire franchise with pretty much every main character.

It's more an observation of mediocre writing than a complaint.

At least most of the characters Ezra met worked within the story that Rebels was telling, as I demonstrated in the post above the one you quoted.

You cited fan service for at least 9 of the characters I mentioned.

I'm not one who thinks all fan service is bad (in fact I usually fall on the side of fan service), but the general opinion I have observed is that Rebels was mediocre at best.

I think you continually citing fan service for most of the character interactions above is indicative of my opinion.

--------

I think  Rebels was weak creatively, and I think the sheer amount of characters Ezra met was dumb.

That's my opinion.

I asked for thoughts and you're okay with the writing on the show. Duly noted.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

------------
[Note]

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. I was curious what other posters thought.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum