Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/KuX3b8hrrm
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

Remastered Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader Empty Remastered Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader

May 8th 2019, 9:48 am
Released today. Many years in the making. Absolutely love it. 

MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

Remastered Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader Empty Re: Remastered Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader

May 8th 2019, 9:55 am
absolutely stunning.
AncientPower
AncientPower
Suspect Hero | Level Four
Suspect Hero | Level Four

Remastered Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader Empty Re: Remastered Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader

May 8th 2019, 10:07 am
Don't get me wrong, choreography and effects, all of that is great. But Ben vs. Vader was never about a flashy fight. It's about showing how weak the strength of evil is when a Jedi Master can transcend the mortal realm.
MP
Moderator | Champion of Darkness

May 8th 2019, 10:16 am
Choreography honestly looks so amateur. It's over the top as well, I mean punching each other? Excessive use of force attacks? Absolutely hate it.
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

May 8th 2019, 10:17 am
There are definitely some bad elements, but overall i think it’s really enjoyable
MP

May 8th 2019, 10:22 am
Not for me. The dueling doesn't seem very genuine on a lot of levels with regards to the star wars universe. It plays out like a bunch of teenagers who've only seen the movies creating a demonstration for their juggler society.
LSDMB
LSDMB

May 8th 2019, 10:27 am
Meatpants wrote:Not for me. The dueling doesn't seem very genuine on a lot of levels with regards to the star wars universe. It plays out like a bunch of teenagers who've only seen the movies creating a demonstration for their juggler society.
Remastered Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader LSyAJf

May 8th 2019, 10:37 am
It's alright. The actual fight is better though.

DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

May 8th 2019, 10:43 am
Meatpants wrote:Choreography honestly looks so amateur. It's over the top as well, I mean punching each other? Excessive use of force attacks? Absolutely hate it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Episode_III_%E2%80%93_Revenge_of_the_Sith
MP

May 8th 2019, 11:09 am

Last edited by Meatpants on May 8th 2019, 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
MP

May 8th 2019, 11:09 am
Meatpants wrote:
DarthAnt66 wrote:
Meatpants wrote:Choreography honestly looks so amateur. It's over the top as well, I mean punching each other? Excessive use of force attacks? Absolutely hate it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Episode_III_%E2%80%93_Revenge_of_the_Sith

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_(film)

Checkmate
MP

May 8th 2019, 11:11 am
Lol fucking phone.

anyway, we're talking about ANH, not RotS.
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

May 8th 2019, 11:16 am
Video is dope.
Haggis
Haggis

May 8th 2019, 11:36 am
I mean, it was decently made and it is clear that the creator put a lot of time into it. While the fight itself was fine, my problem is that it doesn't really fit with these characters. As people said, thematically speaking, Kenobi and Vader are meant to be shadows of their more youthful and healthy selfs. The cheoreography doesn't really fit that. Moreover, Vader seems way too spritely for what his typical fighting style encompasses. It doesn't bother me as much with Kenobi since we have examples of older people managing great feats of agility e.g. Dooku, and him being like that suits him, but not so much with Vader.
PeraltaEagle45
PeraltaEagle45

May 8th 2019, 11:57 am
I honestly really liked it. It had echoes of the Mustafar fight, but less flashy, more brutal. They cut out Kenobi's best line though.
The Fallen Warrior
The Fallen Warrior
Level Four
Level Four

May 8th 2019, 12:34 pm
TheGlory wrote:I mean, it was decently made and it is clear that the creator put a lot of time into it. While the fight itself was fine, my problem is that it doesn't really fit with these characters. As people said, thematically speaking, Kenobi and Vader are meant to be shadows of their more youthful and healthy selfs. The cheoreography doesn't really fit that. Moreover, Vader seems way too spritely for what his typical fighting style encompasses. It doesn't bother me as much with Kenobi since we have examples of older people managing great feats of agility e.g. Dooku, and him being like that suits him, but not so much with Vader.

That style is exactly how they describe Vader in the books. Strong slow but dexterous and able to make up for his suits limitation
Haggis
Haggis

May 8th 2019, 1:15 pm
In-sidiousvader wrote:
TheGlory wrote:I mean, it was decently made and it is clear that the creator put a lot of time into it. While the fight itself was fine, my problem is that it doesn't really fit with these characters. As people said, thematically speaking, Kenobi and Vader are meant to be shadows of their more youthful and healthy selfs. The cheoreography doesn't really fit that. Moreover, Vader seems way too spritely for what his typical fighting style encompasses. It doesn't bother me as much with Kenobi since we have examples of older people managing great feats of agility e.g. Dooku, and him being like that suits him, but not so much with Vader.

That style is exactly how they describe Vader in the books. Strong slow but dexterous and able to make up for his suits limitation

LMAO, not its not. He's only slow and dexterous toward the start of the duel, he then suddenly becomes more energetic and fast after the first 15 seconds and doing things like twirls. That isn't like Vader's style at all.
O-Siri
O-Siri

May 8th 2019, 8:36 pm
I liked it. I understand that the actual fight is probably closer to real sword fighting but IMO it lacked suspense and a true sense of danger, unlike say the duels of ESB or TPM.
Master Azronger
Master Azronger

May 9th 2019, 4:29 am
It was excellent, in my opinion, both in terms of choreography and emotional weight. I prefer it to the original.
MP

May 9th 2019, 4:37 am
Actually can't believe this
The Witness
The Witness

May 9th 2019, 7:46 am
Absolutely fantastic
Nova
Nova

May 9th 2019, 7:52 am
The punching was extreme, and it was portrayed in a more one-sided fashion that I was comfortable with. Otherwise, it was pretty good. Points for keeping Old Ben's spin (and making sense of it) in there.
The Fallen Warrior
The Fallen Warrior
Level Four
Level Four

May 9th 2019, 12:16 pm
Nova wrote:The punching was extreme, and it was portrayed in a more one-sided fashion that I was comfortable with. Otherwise, it was pretty good. Points for keeping Old Ben's spin (and making sense of it) in there.

I could not disagree more. The Punching was very sparse two strikes I counted, and that is what Vader does, he hits you with a metal fist hard in your kidneys and it normally claims him victory. Disagree there, Ben did some things I personally am not sure he could do to Vader, the fight was definitely even imo, Ben tags Vader on the shoulder, and Vader sweeps and tags Ben at the end as well. In fact Ben landed a Force Push on Vader, which I am unsure as to if he could even do. I personally think the Vader portrayal was spot on, he isn't so superior to Ben at this point, Ben held up very well and I like that, it shows his growth from ANH to ESB to ROTJ which is an integral part of his character.
SithSauce
SithSauce
Level One
Level One

May 9th 2019, 12:57 pm

Lucas only came up with this "Shadows of their youth" excuse just because the OT duels weren't as advanced as the PT duels due to lack of technology back then. If he made the OT with all the technology he had for the Prequels, the fight between Old Ben and Vader would have certainly been more akin to this "remastered" version.

I think this fighting style does suit Vader. Not sure what the issue is? It's not like he is doing back flips like Darth Maul, he is hammering his oponent with his saber, which is what Vader's style is all about. I think the punching part was a bit pointless and exaggerated, but that's my only complaint with the video.
SithSauce
SithSauce
Level One
Level One

May 9th 2019, 1:06 pm
@Nova There is still no way to make sense of this though, unfortunately lol.

LSDMB wrote:
Meatpants wrote:Not for me. The dueling doesn't seem very genuine on a lot of levels with regards to the star wars universe. It plays out like a bunch of teenagers who've only seen the movies creating a demonstration for their juggler society.
Remastered Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader LSyAJf
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum