Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Seturna
Seturna
Level One
Level One

Did vader hold back against luke on the deathstar? Empty Did vader hold back against luke on the deathstar?

December 25th 2019, 8:45 am
I’ll want to your opinions.
The Adventurous Jedi
The Adventurous Jedi
Level Seven
Level Seven

Did vader hold back against luke on the deathstar? Empty Re: Did vader hold back against luke on the deathstar?

December 25th 2019, 9:40 am
Message reputation : 50% (2 votes)
No. The comic clarifies Vader brought "his full strength and power against the younger man" which is supported by both the adult novel and TRAFODV - with the latter clarifying Vader was incredibly fatigued from trying to breach Luke's defences, despite giving it his all.

I think the real question here should be: Was Luke holding back? Until the final exchange of the duel - according to Lucas - Luke wasn't "really fighting" which is corroborated by other sources which state Luke "held back" and "only struck back in self-defense," so the answer to the aforementioned question is clearly, yes.

A holding back Luke matched an all-out Vader blow for blow, any excuses for Vader are attempts at grasping for straws.
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

Did vader hold back against luke on the deathstar? Empty Re: Did vader hold back against luke on the deathstar?

December 25th 2019, 9:52 am
The Apprentice wrote:No. The comic clarifies Vader brought "his full strength and power against the younger man" which is supported by both the adult novel and TRAFODV - with the latter clarifying Vader was incredibly fatigued from trying to breach Luke's defences, despite giving it his all.

I think the real question here should be: Was Luke holding back? Until the final exchange of the duel - according to Lucas - Luke wasn't "really fighting" which is corroborated by other sources which state Luke "held back" and "only struck back in self-defense," so the answer to the aforementioned question is clearly, yes.

A holding back Luke matched an all-out Vader blow for blow, any excuses for Vader are attempts at grasping for straws.

Did vader hold back against luke on the deathstar? 1289255181
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

December 25th 2019, 10:09 am
Varies depending on the account. Some say he brought his full strength against Luke. Others say he was conflicted as he fought Luke (supported by TR&FoDV showing Vader didn't know what he was trying to do by beating Luke and supported by Luke's dialogue and Vader's responses), others say he was definitely holding back, and there's a few Lucas quotes indicating or confirming that he had no intention of killing Luke, only pushing him to fight back and give in to the Dark Side. 

It depends on the account. Luke was definitely not holding back.
O-Siri
O-Siri

December 25th 2019, 10:21 am
A classic case of youth vs experience. In some sources, Vader was stated to be conflicted and I think you can glean that from the film too, but at the same time, I don't know how anyone can argue Luke wasn't conflicted either. The only time Luke was clearly under pressure was the moment he "lowered his defenses!" and that was after he held the advantage but stopped short because again he was clearly conflicted himself. 

I think the holistic intent is that they were supposed to be well matched at this point in any case. Not exactly splitting hairs.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum