Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/KuX3b8hrrm
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Rohirrim
Rohirrim

On (canon) General Grievous Empty On (canon) General Grievous

April 27th 2019, 7:21 pm
Okay, so this might be a somewhat atypical blog, in the sense that it is not my intention to provide comprehensive nor definitive evidence in order to tackle misconceptions. Instead, I'd rather just give my opinion on what it is that makes General Grievous a unique lightsaber duelist -beyond his lack of Force ability- and how it might permeate the fights he's involved in.

General fighting prowess

First, I'd like to point out that despite his apparent inferiority to his Legends counterpart, General Grievous is still a formidable warrior and Jedi hunter. This is best portrayed in the Age of Republic comic series, where he is said to have slaughtered "countless Jedi".

On (canon) General Grievous Grievo10

He is also shown promptly overwhelming a Jedi Master in combat and blitzing a Padawan.

On (canon) General Grievous Grievo11
On (canon) General Grievous Grievo12

Therefore, Grievous' skill should be well beyond the capabilities of most Jedi. It takes an opponent on the level of Council members such as Eeth Koth or Kit Fisto to stand a chance against the General. Given his liking for cybernetic enhancements, it's also likely that Grievous improved his mechanical body to become even more dangerous over the course of the Clone Wars.

On (canon) General Grievous Grievo13

Unorthodox style and physicals

Thanks to his enhanced physicals, General Grievous is an excellent brawler, putting his extra arms to good use against Obi-Wan Kenobi and taking him by surprise a couple of times. He is also able to send his enemies flying with a single kick, but perhaps most significant is the amount of times he is successful in landing said kicks.

On (canon) General Grievous Grievo10
On (canon) General Grievous Grievo11
On (canon) General Grievous Grievo12
On (canon) General Grievous Grievo13
On (canon) General Grievous Grievo14
On (canon) General Grievous Grievo14

I suspect the unusual reach of his mechanical legs makes it easier for him to catch his opponents off-guard, as they aren't used to fighting someone of the General's physical constitution. Because of this, even though usually a superior duelist would land more physical strikes on a less skilled combatant, I theorize that some instances of the General kicking his foes are not reflective of Grievous' relative skill to them. This would explain some of his showings against arguably superior opponents, such as Darth Maul, Asajj Ventress (who goes on to beat him shortly after getting kicked) or Eeth Koth (who floors Grievous and forces the accompanying MagnaGuards to intervene).

Four-armed threat

As depicted above, General Grievous uses up to four lightsabers simultaneously in order to overwhelm his Jedi enemies. But he's also been shown losing one or two of his hands against the likes of Depa Billaba, Kit Fisto or Obi-Wan Kenobi. However, it should be noted that those feats by themselves don't prove their superiority over Grievous. For one, after Depa deprived him of two hands, Grievous went on to slash her in the back and looked like he was about to beat her when Clone Troopers opened fire on him.

On (canon) General Grievous Depa10
On (canon) General Grievous Depa210
On (canon) General Grievous Depa310

I'd wager Grievous tends to get reckless when fighting with four lightsabers, only to take duels more seriously after he is deprived of some of his weapons.

Although Grievous didn't do so well in his fight with Fisto, the nautolan Jedi Master might have taken advantage of both the foggy environment and then the fact that he inflicted the first successful strike. As is explained in Fisto's entry in the Star Wars Character Encyclopedia - Updated and Expanded, Kit's "tentacles are highly sensitive and allow him to detect others' emotions. This ability allows Fisto to take instant advantage of an opponent's uncertainty in combat."

On (canon) General Grievous Grievo15

There's also Grievous being recently repaired and told that he needed "his rest", for what that's worth.

Grievous' fight with Obi-Wan is likely the less circumstantial of the three. It should be noted, however, that despite losing two hands, Grievous seemed fairly confident up until Obi-Wan used the Force to push him into the ceiling. It seems to me that he felt like he could still make a comeback, which is somewhat odd considering the General's infamous cowardice.

Again, I'm aware most of this is highly speculative stuff, I just felt some of these things may be worth considering when looking at Grievous' showings. Anyways, I'm sure you can shed more light on this topic and I'd like to know what you guys think.
Gᴏᴀᴛ
Gᴏᴀᴛ

On (canon) General Grievous Empty Re: On (canon) General Grievous

April 27th 2019, 7:42 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Very nice.
The Fallen Warrior
The Fallen Warrior
Level Four
Level Four

April 27th 2019, 9:14 pm
RGR, good work. Ask @jake to help you sourcing this quote, but there is a quote about Grevious being able to solo the entire cadre of praetorian guards that Kylo and Rey Fought, it's easily his best Saber accolade, those guards were top tier.
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

April 28th 2019, 2:49 am
excellent blog, It certainly promotes canon grievus as a combatant. Although my opinion of him as a character hasn’t changed.
Rohirrim
Rohirrim

April 28th 2019, 4:07 am
In-sidiousvader wrote:RGR, good work. Ask @jake to help you sourcing this quote, but there is a quote about Grevious being able to solo the entire cadre of praetorian guards that Kylo and Rey Fought, it's easily his best Saber accolade, those guards were top tier.
Wow, that's certainly a big deal, I'll definitely ask him about it.
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

April 28th 2019, 8:39 am
Nice.
The Witness
The Witness

May 6th 2019, 7:55 am
Good job! Canon Grievous is still a worthy oponent despite his vast inferiority to Legends Grievous ( as an combatant and character)
dark-sith123
dark-sith123

May 10th 2019, 11:07 am
Interesting analysis.
AncientPower
AncientPower
Suspect Hero | Level Four
Suspect Hero | Level Four

May 11th 2019, 1:17 am
I find Canon Grievous more interesting, tbh.
EmperorCaedus
EmperorCaedus
Level Three
Level Three

December 6th 2019, 1:06 pm
They kind of ruined him in the movies, he could of been an enforcer-like character like Vader, but no. I'm not saying *exactly* like Vader, just not like Dooku again.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

December 6th 2019, 3:15 pm
Can't ruin a character who was intended to be portrayed as a weak coward by portraying him like that.
King Joker
King Joker
Level One
Level One

December 6th 2019, 3:28 pm
Nice blog.

Did a source ever pop up for that Grievous > Praetorian guard quote?
Rohirrim
Rohirrim

December 6th 2019, 3:41 pm
King Joker wrote:Nice blog.

You can check the video on https://www.starwars.com/star-wars-fan-awards/short-video-winners, though I think it is fan-made.
EmperorCaedus
EmperorCaedus
Level Three
Level Three

December 6th 2019, 5:11 pm
BreakofDawn wrote:Can't ruin a character who was intended to be portrayed as a weak coward by portraying him like that.
The problem was he is originally portrayed as a ruthless villain/warrior akin to Vader in the Clone Wars Microseries. Then Grievous never lived up to the hype in Revenge of the Sith.
The Witness
The Witness

December 7th 2019, 6:49 am
Isv wrote:RGR, good work. Ask @jake to help you sourcing this quote, but there is a quote about Grevious being able to solo the entire cadre of praetorian guards that Kylo and Rey Fought, it's easily his best Saber accolade, those guards were top tier.
If that's the case then holy shit does this continue to lower Kylo further as a duelist
The Witness
The Witness

December 7th 2019, 6:51 am
Rohirrim wrote:

You can check the video on https://www.starwars.com/star-wars-fan-awards/short-video-winners, though I think it is fan-made.
Yeh that doesn't prove anything. If it's fanmade than it isn't canon.
Just being real here
Rohirrim
Rohirrim

December 7th 2019, 6:59 am
The Witness wrote:
Rohirrim wrote:

Yeh that doesn't prove anything. If it's fanmade than it isn't canon.
Just being real here

Yup, I wouldn't put any stock into it.
EmperorCaedus
EmperorCaedus
Level Three
Level Three

December 8th 2019, 1:40 am
Quotes from fan-made sources hold no meaning, at all.
cjv929
cjv929

January 5th 2021, 4:30 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
In Canon book Dark Disciple I find this kinda cool,  where it said "Vos took away his lightsaber, but Grievous wasn't completely useless (without his lightsaber), as he spread all four arms wide, then charged. Vos met him halfway. the two clashed in midair. Grievous was the heavier (his cybernetic armor are durable and were made with Durasteel and Duranium), and his momentum carried them back toward the wall. Laughing sadistically, Grievous closed both hands around Vos's throat. He threw Vos hard intending to slam him down into the unyielding stone of the walkaway. Grievous's mistake was in letting Vos out of his grasp, and Vos landed in an easy crouch."
Grievous also fought Ventress fo the second time, "Grievous seized Ventress with his four hands and hurled her down to the level below them. She slammed against the wall beside one of the elegant windows and crumpled to the ledge. She was taking a bad beating, she realized in some distant part of her mind. The earlier blow to her skull should have killed her."

Oh and in The Clone Wars, people were actually wrong about Grievous losing a lot, Grievous actually gain couple of win, defeated Ahsoka in Skytop Station, Nahdar Vebb (only because Filoni wanted to show how the Jedi are losing their way), Obi-Wan in Bound for Rescue/Crystal Crisis and Adi Gallia. Only lost against Obi-Wan in Kamino/Grievous Intrigue and Ventress in Massacre (still a huge miss opportunity to give him, his first intense duel).
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

January 18th 2021, 4:35 pm
On (canon) General Grievous Bro
Primarch
Primarch

January 18th 2021, 4:37 pm
Good post. Canon Grievous is extremely underrated.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum