Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/KuX3b8hrrm
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
SithSauce
SithSauce
Level One
Level One

Regarding General Grievous and Darth Vader Empty Regarding General Grievous and Darth Vader

November 7th 2019, 9:02 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
O-Siri brought up an excellent point about how people here are ignoring Vader's legends feats in favor of G-Canon, however we have another character similar to Vader in which there are two different interpretations of the same character.
It's clear that George Lucas's intent for Grievous was to be nothing more than a cowardly theatrical Villain who retreats when cornered by the good guys. And Filoni continues that same trend in TCW, obviously following Lucas's vision. In Legends, he is a completely different animal. We've seen him solo multiple jedi at once on Hypori, and even contend with the likes of Mace Windu. Most here would ignore G-Canon Grievious, as it doesn't fit with the (obviously superior) legends incarnation. However, the opposite effect is on Vader. People here ignore his legends Vader as it doesn't fit with G-Canon. If that's the case, how is it fair to harp on Vader for his showings/statements in G-Canon, but when it comes to Grievous, "lets hype him because of how sick he is in legends, and ignore shitty asthma Grievous from G-Canon"?
Rant over.
lorenzo.r.2nd
lorenzo.r.2nd
Level Three
Level Three

Regarding General Grievous and Darth Vader Empty Re: Regarding General Grievous and Darth Vader

November 7th 2019, 9:53 pm
lol i suppose i agree? i view him as both tbh. take ROTS. he is cocky, gets a good fight in against obi wan, BUT AFTER HE 'LOSES', he runs away. kinda like, inbetween cars here.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

Regarding General Grievous and Darth Vader Empty Re: Regarding General Grievous and Darth Vader

November 7th 2019, 10:03 pm
How is Grevious a coward in G-Canon? We barely saw him, when he fought Obi-Wan, he did the smart thing and retreated because he had just lost 2 of his hands and then Force Pushed which caused him to lose his other 2 lightsabers, along with Commander Cody and the 212th Attack Battalion coming in. Prior to getting pushed, he still seemed wanting to fight Obi-Wan even still before the Clones came in.
The Fallen Warrior
The Fallen Warrior
Level Four
Level Four

November 8th 2019, 12:40 am
LMFAO.

you are clearly new here, Vader is a saggy old man who be gettin like some serious mechanical shitz

greviouz is like so goo d that he can contenderize with Obiwan and Mace windu LMAO what a scrub, quit star wars debating noob
CuckedCurry
CuckedCurry
Level Four
Level Four

November 8th 2019, 3:05 am
George’s vision for Grievous changed around 2004-2005. In the 2003 OCW commentary track, Gennedy Tartakovsky & co state that George’s vision was clearly different to what they had previously been told, which was that Grievous was a highly capable Jedi killer. George was indecisive with what Grievous was supposed to be, going back and forth for a while until he decided that Grievous was gonna be a coward and not very skilled, which is why we were all disappointed in the ROTS movie that Grievous was useless.

And this is why I don’t understand why some people on this site combine old EU Grievous and George’s Grievous together. I don’t even get why people put the Old Eu and TCW together, as George shifted in his vision for Star Wars, with TCW being in-line with what he had in mind. Use one or the other imo
O-Siri
O-Siri

November 8th 2019, 3:21 am
TBH I don't blame Lucas for going with the direction he took with Grievous in the movie. Grievous is only a minor villain in the grand scheme of things. The grandiose portrayal, true to his EU roots, works in novel format because it's an extension of the EU as well as an adaptation, but a setpiece like that would have been too much of a show stopper in the movie IMO.
SithSauce
SithSauce
Level One
Level One

November 8th 2019, 5:37 am
Zenwolf wrote:How is Grevious a coward in G-Canon? We barely saw him, when he fought Obi-Wan, he did the smart thing and retreated because he had just lost 2 of his hands and then Force Pushed which caused him to lose his other 2 lightsabers, along with Commander Cody and the 212th Attack Battalion coming in. Prior to getting pushed, he still seemed wanting to fight Obi-Wan even still before the Clones came in.
Lucas explicitly stated that he saw Grievous as " a moustache twirling old style villain who runs away when cornered by the heroes". I'm paraphrasing, but I'll try and find the quote.
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

November 8th 2019, 7:19 am
Yeah but in RotS novel and script, which are both G Canon, Grievous hard pressed Obi-Wan Kenobi, so I wouldn't say that George Lucas's Grievous is incompetent.
SithSauce
SithSauce
Level One
Level One

November 8th 2019, 7:30 am
Latham2000 wrote:Yeah but in RotS novel and script, which are both G Canon, Grievous hard pressed Obi-Wan Kenobi, so I wouldn't say that George Lucas's Grievous is incompetent.
The ROTS novel is filled with tones of legends stuff. Sure it is based of GL's script, but that doesn't mean Stover didn't have his own input.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

November 8th 2019, 10:24 am
SithSauce wrote:
Zenwolf wrote:How is Grevious a coward in G-Canon? We barely saw him, when he fought Obi-Wan, he did the smart thing and retreated because he had just lost 2 of his hands and then Force Pushed which caused him to lose his other 2 lightsabers, along with Commander Cody and the 212th Attack Battalion coming in. Prior to getting pushed, he still seemed wanting to fight Obi-Wan even still before the Clones came in.
Lucas explicitly stated that he saw Grievous as " a moustache twirling old style villain who runs away when cornered by the heroes". I'm paraphrasing, but I'll try and find the quote.

I'm pretty sure Grevious losing all 4 lightsabers, losing 2 of his hands and then Clones coming in would justify him as being cornered by the Heroes and then running away...that's smart, not being a coward.

I'm sure anyone with half a brain who doesn't have anyway to defend themselves while being handicapped, would have ran.
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

November 8th 2019, 11:04 am
SithSauce wrote:
Latham2000 wrote:Yeah but in RotS novel and script, which are both G Canon, Grievous hard pressed Obi-Wan Kenobi, so I wouldn't say that George Lucas's Grievous is incompetent.
The ROTS novel is filled with tones of legends stuff. Sure it is based of GL's script, but that doesn't mean Stover didn't have his own input.

Lucas approved of all of Stover's words in the final draft of the RotS Novel.
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

November 8th 2019, 11:06 am
Zenwolf wrote:
SithSauce wrote:

I'm pretty sure Grevious losing all 4 lightsabers, losing 2 of his hands and then Clones coming in would justify him as being cornered by the Heroes and then running away...that's smart, not being a coward.

I'm sure anyone with half a brain who doesn't have anyway to defend themselves while being handicapped, would have ran.

Yup. Grievous wasn't being a coward, he was using his common sense. He would've died if he tried to fight an armed Obi-Wan while being unarmed, just like how an injured person with no weapons would lose against a swordsman.
SithSauce
SithSauce
Level One
Level One

November 10th 2019, 9:30 am
Latham2000 wrote:
Zenwolf wrote:
SithSauce wrote:

Yup. Grievous wasn't being a coward, he was using his common sense. He would've died if he tried to fight an armed Obi-Wan while being unarmed, just like how an injured person with no weapons would lose against a swordsman.
But George Lucas said himself he is a coward, Windu says he is as well.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

November 10th 2019, 9:53 am
Just saying, in canon he tore through half a dozen Mandalorians with his bare hands when he was forced to fight. Being a coward isn't necessarily a bad thing. More often than not, retreating when the odds are against you is the best course of action.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum