Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
LOTL

Ben Kenobi & Luke Skywalker vs Darth Revan & Darth Malak - Page 2 Empty Re: Ben Kenobi & Luke Skywalker vs Darth Revan & Darth Malak

August 19th 2019, 3:09 am
There are 2 quotes actually
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

Ben Kenobi & Luke Skywalker vs Darth Revan & Darth Malak - Page 2 Empty Re: Ben Kenobi & Luke Skywalker vs Darth Revan & Darth Malak

August 19th 2019, 3:18 am
Can you post the other one?
The Adventurous Jedi
The Adventurous Jedi
Level Seven
Level Seven

August 19th 2019, 9:17 am
Sam wrote:
NotAA3 wrote:Why isn't the Spanish quote valid? Regardless of Force power Kenobi has proven he is more than able to contend with the Vader:

-He is clearly faster. Vader believes if he looks away for a single instant Kenobi will strike him down and has to give him his full undivided attention. In total contrast, Kenobi looks away at Luke mid-fight and is quick enough to respond to Vader's strike without getting killed.
Like I said the quote exists primarily to explain why Vader couldn't just use his force powers to defeat Kenobi in ANH. Even though we have many instances in Star Wars where force users could have used the force on their opponents, but never did so. For example,  Anakin is much more powerful than Dooku, yet we never saw him use any force powers to defeat him. Anakin and Obi Wan are obviously >>>> Magnaguards, yet we never saw them use force powers to kill them. The quote is just outdated as hell.

I can imagine there are several logical explanations you can find that don't involve rendering the quote null and just dismissing a source out of bias because you don't like it.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

August 19th 2019, 10:41 pm
LOTL wrote:
BreakofDawn wrote:Luke as the weak link? Huh? He's a fair bit more powerful than Ben at this point and also a fair bit more skilled along with having better physicals. If anything, Ben is the weak link.

OT: If they keep it to sabers, team 1. If the Force comes into play, both of team 1 can push team 2 but Ben will go down, and Luke can't beat them both.

Luke clearly says that he was inferior to or similar to Ben and Yoda in his ROTJ incarnation
That says one of either of two things. One, Luke is extraordinarily humble. Two, Luke is not Vader’s equal considering ANH Vader was beating Ben and only continued to grow after this. 

Plus, there’s also the fact that Luke never really saw Ben in combat outside of the fight with Vader in ANH.
AncientPower
AncientPower
Suspect Hero | Level Four
Suspect Hero | Level Four

August 19th 2019, 10:50 pm
Can I get the quotes that are relevant to the Ben-Vader-Luke power dynamics?
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

August 20th 2019, 12:08 am
Just read through the novel and I'm not seeing how Ben > Vader. 

"You sense only a part of the Force, Darth," Kenobi murmured with the assurance of one to whom death is merely another sensation, like sleeping or making love or touching a candle. "As always, you perceive its reality as little as a utensil perceives the taste of food." Executing a move of incredible swiftness for one so old, Kenobi lunged at the massive shape. Vader blocked the stab with equal speed, riposting with a counterslash that Kenobi barely parried. Another parry and Kenobi countered again, using this opportunity to move around the towering Dark Lord. They continued to trade blows, with the old man now backing toward the hangar. Once, his saber and Vader's locked, the interaction of the two energy fields producing a violent sparking and flashing. A low buzzing sound rose from the straining power units as each saber sought to override the other.
Kenobi heard the approaching commotion and spared a glance back into the hangar. The squad of troopers bearing down on him was enough to show that he was trapped. Vader took immediate advantage of the momentary distraction to bring his saber over and down. Kenobi somehow managed to deflect the sweeping blow, at once parrying and turning a complete circle. "You still have your skill, but your power fades. Prepare to meet the Force, Obi-Wan."

Kenobi gauged the shrinking distance between the oncoming troops and himself, then turned a pitying gaze on Vader. "This is a fight you cannot win, Darth. Your power has matured since I taught you, but I too have grown much since our parting. If my blade finds its mark, you will cease to exist. But if you cut me down, I will only become more powerful. Heed my words." "Your philosophies no longer confuse me, old man," Vader growled contemptuously. "I am the master now." Once again he lunged forward, feinting, and then slashing in a deadly downward arc with the saber. It struck home, cutting the old man cleanly in half. There was a brief flash as Kenobi's cloak fluttered to the deck in two neat sections.

Vader being superior is backed up by the script and The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader,  not to mention Vader is still described as moving quite clumsily and roughly even by this point. Really going to need those Ben > Vader quotes, preferably with the context. The novel and script both depict Obi-Wan as being on the defensive against a Vader a considerable time before his prime, and in both Ben is either being overpowered or driven back/struggling to defend himself.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

August 20th 2019, 12:20 am
NotAA3 wrote:-He is clearly faster. Vader believes if he looks away for a single instant Kenobi will strike him down and has to give him his full undivided attention. In total contrast, Kenobi looks away at Luke mid-fight and is quick enough to respond to Vader's strike without getting killed.

Sorry to jump in, but the "Kenobi being faster than Vader" argument is incorrect. There's a similar case of this in the novel itself, where Vader is depicted as moving faster:

Executing a move of incredible swiftness for one so old, Kenobi lunged at the massive shape. Vader blocked the stab with equal speed, riposting with a counterslash that Kenobi barely parried. Another parry and Kenobi countered again, using this opportunity to move around the towering Dark Lord.

Ben lashes out with surprising speed, Vader matches it, then nearly kills him with a single slash so fast that Ben barely parries it. Ben is forced to go on the defensive nearly the entire fight. 

The "Kenobi being able to strike him down" quote is also taken out of context. IIRC, it's made near the beginning of the fight when Vader hasn't been able to properly assess Ben's power level/skill properly, and it's also highly likely that it's a result of his psychological fear/hatred of Kenobi. He remembers Ben doing the same thing to a more powerful iteration of him and doesn't want to risk the possibility of it happening again. That neither means that Ben can or can't do it, but using Vader's single quote for that as a reference fails to take into account other factors that may contribute to this.
The Adventurous Jedi
The Adventurous Jedi
Level Seven
Level Seven

August 20th 2019, 9:27 am
@BreakofDawn I'll respond later today.
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

August 20th 2019, 2:49 pm
Luke is definitely>>Ben. He equalled a more powerful version of Vader than the one that more or less matched Ben.

OT-Could see an argument either way.
The Adventurous Jedi
The Adventurous Jedi
Level Seven
Level Seven

August 20th 2019, 3:15 pm
@BreakofDawn

Sorry to jump in, but the "Kenobi being faster than Vader" argument is incorrect. There's a similar case of this in the novel itself, where Vader is depicted as moving faster:

Ben lashes out with surprising speed, Vader matches it, then nearly kills him with a single slash so fast that Ben barely parries it. Ben is forced to go on the defensive nearly the entire fight.

Nonsense. The beginning of the fight has them both ramping up the intensity of their attacks gradually. Kenobi barely blocking one blow doesn't mean Vader is faster as he blocks Vader's subsequent blows without nearly the same difficulty. As for Vader thinking he's going to win and forcing Kenobi on the defensive, Kenobi later surprises Vader with a series of quick and expert strikes which causes Vader to rethink his assessment. During fights, the fighters will have moments where they are winning and moments where they are not, so simply looking at singular segments of the fight isn't a reliable metric for judging the strength of characters.

The "Kenobi being able to strike him down" quote is also taken out of context. IIRC, it's made near the beginning of the fight when Vader hasn't been able to properly assess Ben's power level/skill properly, and it's also highly likely that it's a result of his psychological fear/hatred of Kenobi. He remembers Ben doing the same thing to a more powerful iteration of him and doesn't want to risk the possibility of it happening again. That neither means that Ben can or can't do it, but using Vader's single quote for that as a reference fails to take into account other factors that may contribute to this.

The statement is made after the series of quick and expert strikes I mentioned, so no it is made after Vader has experienced Kenobi's strength first hand.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

August 21st 2019, 5:32 pm
@NotAA3 Will get back to you later, had a procedure so kind of hard to focus.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum