Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
The Slick Obi
The Slick Obi

What's your preferred representation of Force Abilities?  Empty What's your preferred representation of Force Abilities?

November 6th 2020, 8:20 pm
Something that I have often wondered which version of the Force is preferred by the community? Do you prefer Lucas' version of the Force where Force Wielders are Captain America level beings with mind powers? Or the Clone Wars/Force Unleashed/Normal EU Force Wielders with OTT feats? Or Old Republic Force Wielders that perform at similar levels to Lucas Wielders but utilize "spells" & "rituals" to perform OTT feats?

Personally, I prefer the Lucas version due to the fact Droids/Clones/Bounty Hunters being threats to them actually makes sense.

Last edited by The Slick Obi on November 8th 2020, 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

What's your preferred representation of Force Abilities?  Empty Re: What's your preferred representation of Force Abilities?

November 6th 2020, 10:27 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
The latter of the 1st one, it better describes The Force how the characters describe it within the movies. IE: "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of The Force." "It's an energy field created by all living things, it surrounds us, penetrates us and binds the galaxy together."

So already from two seasoned Force Users, we know it's a universal energy field and that planet busting is insignificant next to its power.

Now granted, the planet busting aspect is generally geared to the more upper echelons of Force Users and beyond. But it does set a bar as to how much the writers could expand upon it.

I mean yeah the movies didn't really show this kind of power, but then no Force User was at that level anyway. Within the movies, the only times Non-Force Users ever gave Force Users trouble were in either great numbers, great numbers + surprise attack or the Force User in question wasn't actively going for the kill and when they did, they were swiftly killed.

Now yeah this then leads into the issue of Non-Force Users at times fighting Force Users, but this is more due to writers picking and choosing stuff to ignore or add and even then, I bet the amount of times a single Non-Force User actually fought a Force User is significantly lower than the times that they actually did. Much like Batman fighting far above his paygrade compared to fighting his usual Rogues Gallery, sure he did, but out of all of his other appearances and what he's described as it's not consistent.

The work around to this, which I feel could have been done a lot more compared to the handful of times it has, could have been the use of stims to boost a Non-Force User for brief times or cybernetic augmentation or power armor if they actually had to use a single character. The writers could have made a hell of a lot of more interesting stuff this way. The stuff was all there to use and some interesting characters could have come out from this, or well a lot more than what we really got.

Last edited by Zenwolf on November 8th 2020, 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
The Merchant
The Merchant

What's your preferred representation of Force Abilities?  Empty Re: What's your preferred representation of Force Abilities?

November 7th 2020, 12:16 am
Tales of the Jedi portrayal of Force abilities was my favorite.
Underachiever599
Underachiever599

November 7th 2020, 1:04 am
I prefer Lucas' vision of Force users. The gigantic feats that we saw in Legends were just too much for me. A lot of them break my immersion in the franchise. Seeing Mace Windu single handedly take on countless B2 Super Battle Droids in the Clone Wars animated series feels so out of place next to the arena scene from Attack of the Clones, when several high level council members together, including Mace and Obi-Wan, are clearly outmatched by a mix of B2 and B1 Battle Droids. Galen Marek throwing around TIE Fighters and bringing down a Star Destroyer makes the Millennium Falcon escaping in front of Vader's face on Hoth seem silly by comparison. I'm fine with the idea that tremendous feats can be accomplished through rituals and foci like in Tales of the Jedi, but even then, I feel there's a limit to what should be shown.

I feel like Vader's statement about the ability to destroy a planet being insignificant next to the power of the Force wasn't meant to be taken as literally as writers in the EU took it. It was very clearly a statement along the lines of, "the pen is mightier than the sword." Nobody actually believes you could use a pen to defeat a swordsman in a fight. But the point is that the written word holds much more power than any individual with a sword. Likewise, someone with the Force can have a much more meaningful impact on the galaxy than any single weapon, even a Death Star. And A New Hope is proof of that, when Luke blew up the Death Star by using the Force. Luke's influence in the galaxy was greater than either Death Star. He blew up the first Death Star, saving the Rebellion, and he turned Vader back to the light, leading to the Emperor's destruction and the ultimate collapse of the Empire. But Luke in the movies couldn't blow up planets with the Force. The Force was more powerful than the Death Star by having a stronger influence, not in terms of sheer destructive potential.
Primarch
Primarch

November 7th 2020, 3:13 am
Old republic
Nute_Chethray
Nute_Chethray

November 7th 2020, 8:27 am
TOTJ/KOTOR/SWTOR trailers, loved RC and OCW too
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

November 7th 2020, 12:36 pm
OCW.
CuckedCurry
CuckedCurry
Level Four
Level Four

November 7th 2020, 12:42 pm
Latham2000 wrote:OCW.
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

November 8th 2020, 2:15 am
CuckedCurry wrote:
Latham2000 wrote:OCW.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum