Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

Can Force users use the Force to cure themselves of mental illnesses? Empty Can Force users use the Force to cure themselves of mental illnesses?

August 4th 2019, 9:58 am
Mental illnesses e.g. depession, are as bad as physical illnesses because doctors developed medications called antidepressants to treat them. Can Jedi or Sith use the Force to cure and heal themselves of that stuff? Discuss.

Last edited by YousufLatham on August 4th 2019, 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling mistake needed to be corrected.)
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

Can Force users use the Force to cure themselves of mental illnesses? Empty Re: Can Force users use the Force to cure themselves of mental illnesses?

August 4th 2019, 10:19 am
I don't think so.
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

Can Force users use the Force to cure themselves of mental illnesses? Empty Re: Can Force users use the Force to cure themselves of mental illnesses?

August 4th 2019, 4:25 pm
Cilghal can do something like that if I recall correctly.
Harbinger Kallig
Harbinger Kallig

August 6th 2019, 9:12 am
I don't think so, I think Jedi would attempt to treat it with meditation and the like. While the Sith would most likely shrug it off. Of course this is a generalization as certain individuals could do different things, perhaps a Jedi could try to heal himself with the Force and a Sith could get therapy, even if it is only talking to someone that particular Sith would trust.
CuckedCurry
CuckedCurry
Level Four
Level Four

August 6th 2019, 11:42 am
Vader has severe depression
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

August 6th 2019, 12:19 pm
Vader probably also has dissociative identity disorder.
BigMouthPrick
BigMouthPrick

August 8th 2019, 10:51 pm
Given most of the Sith are by definition sociopaths, I'd reason no.
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

August 28th 2019, 4:10 am
I actually found something, although it’s not exactly the same thing. In the novel Crisis at crystal reef Cilghal heals the black sun agent Anja Gallandro of her addiction, presumably to spice. If I understand correctly, Anja was force sensitive as she studied at Luke’s jedi academy for some time. Although Cilghal is one of, if not the best healer in jedi history, I think such a feat proves it is possible to do that.
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

August 28th 2019, 4:17 am
That's a nice one, however I don't think we can compare that to being able to cure sadism, Borderline, bipolar, depression etc.

Last edited by HellfireUnit on August 28th 2019, 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

August 28th 2019, 4:21 am
HellfireUnit wrote:That's a nice one, however I don't think we can compete that to being able to cure sadism, Borderline, bipolar, depression etc.
Take into account that Addictions are generally accepted as illnesses, and that Cilghal was just a knight at the time. But fair point anyway.
Nute_Chethray
Nute_Chethray

September 8th 2019, 7:35 pm
Bardan Jusik. Bardan Jusik has without training shown the ability to heal people from complete mental disability (to the point it was thought he was dead) back to a fully functional state. Jusik was capable of scientificaly influencing the human mind, as well as trigger certain parts of the body to fix any issues with the mind.
The Ellimist
The Ellimist
Level Five
Level Five

September 8th 2019, 8:14 pm
Force users can use the Force to block pain, segment memories, look into one's emotions, etc., so very possibly. If they can TP others, why not themselves?
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

September 12th 2019, 3:33 pm
That'd require them to be open about it. Vader would never admit he has depression and early dissociate identity disorder because it'd be viewed as weakness. Sheev would never admit that he's a sadistic sociopath because he delights in his bloodlust. The Jedi would most likely encourage meditation and view the individual as being unbalanced if they had depression, anxiety, etc.

Theoretically, yes you could. There are different mind arts in Star Wars that work for almost anything except extreme mental fragmentation (which only an exceptionally proficient or powerful Force user could fix), e.g. the Barsen'Thor could teach someone to multi-task as efficiently as they could single-task but was unable to repair the President of Balmorra's mind when it was shattered by Darth Lachris. Depression and anxiety for example could be controlled through the Force unless perhaps when it is overwhelming depression, e.g. complete despair and hopelessness/chronic, bordering on suicidal depression. Dissociate identity disorder could also be corrected through meditation and drawing upon the Force to heal one's psyche (e.g. what Orgus Din did to the HoT in the SoR side-quest). However, psychopathy or sociopathy would be impossible to heal, only temper.

To cut this answer short: yes, but within reason.
No Hate Speech
No Hate Speech

September 14th 2019, 9:07 pm
people don't need to be "cured" you ableist piece of shit, only "cure" we need is for toxic masculinity
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

September 14th 2019, 9:08 pm
>people don't need to be cured
>we need cure for toxic masculinity

🇪🇭
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

September 14th 2019, 9:11 pm
Guys, stop the toxicity masculinity. We should stand with NoHateSpeech smh.
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

September 14th 2019, 9:13 pm
Also, I believe the thread in question was asking whether it was within the capability of force wielders to cure mental illness, nothing about whether they should or not was stated. So, my dear No Hate Speech, learn to read pls.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

September 14th 2019, 9:42 pm
When you put a serious, in-depth answer to a pretty interesting question then NoHateSpeech comes around with the pain train.
CaptainMarTuuk
CaptainMarTuuk

September 14th 2019, 10:19 pm
Force Heal has been used to cure stuff like the Karatos Plague (which would destroy your brain in like an hour) by Dooku. It would largely depend on the power of the User, as well as their particular skill in healing. Also, if you were trying to cure yourself, then anything that hampers your mental abilities (like insanity) is obviously going to make it impossible for you to cure yourself solely due to inability to concentrate/lacking the mental faculties to do so. Insanity wasn't all that uncommon in Force User, specifically in those who attempted to wield both sides of the Force to their full potential while not being the Chosen One (i.e: Abeloth and countless Sith) so I would expect that someone would have cured it, but I haven't ever heard of such a case.
Nute_Chethray
Nute_Chethray

September 16th 2019, 6:30 pm
Cheth wrote:Bardan Jusik. Bardan Jusik has without training shown the ability to heal people from complete mental disability (to the point it was thought he was dead) back to a fully functional state. Jusik was capable of scientificaly influencing the human mind, as well as trigger certain parts of the body to fix any issues with the mind.
I forgot to address the full topic. If a forceuser can realise and accept they have a mental disability, then yes, they could fix it.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum