Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

Sam Witwer on Lucas and Vader Empty Sam Witwer on Lucas and Vader

April 1st 2020, 7:07 am
(Moderator Note: Moved from the Rules & Announcements section.) 

I found an extra quote affirming that Lucas said that Vader became weaker because of his injuries and cybernetics:

Sam Witwer: Well, going back to Clone Wars, there was, I mean, part of the preparation for Darth Maul was just being a Star Wars fan. I mean, some of the things ... Like, me and my buddies would talk about, "What if Maul lived? What would that character be like, and what are some cool scenes that could happen if he survived?" And to my great shock, when we were doing Clone Wars, some of those scenes were in scripts, some of the scene that I had discussed with friends ten years earlier were, five years earlier ... that was fascinating.

Just a little example of when Darth Maul regains his sanity and reaches through the Force to try to take the lightsaber from Savage [Opress]’s hand, it sort of levitated into his hand, and it doesn't work at first. And then he gets angry and tries harder and then pulled the lightsaber in his hand. That's literally a scene me and friends talked about years ago. Wouldn't it be interesting to tell the story, as you lose your humanity, in the same way that Darth Vader- George Lucas would say that Darth Vader wasn't as good because he got cut up and turned into part machine. So he was never as strong with the Force as he could’ve been. It would be interesting to tell that story with Darth Maul, that if he got cut in half and he was partially robotic, that the Force would fail him sometimes. And for one of the first scenes, Darth Maul could be exactly that. I thought that was just fascinating, it was great.

Source -- Interview: Sam Witwer of 'Star Wars Rebels'

Sam says that George Lucas would talk about how Vader wasn't as good because he got cut to pieces and partly became cybernetic, which also prevented him from becoming as strong as he could've been. It's a cool trivia to include because it implies that Sam heard George talk about this during the creative process of TCW, which they both were involved in.
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

Sam Witwer on Lucas and Vader Empty Re: Sam Witwer on Lucas and Vader

April 6th 2020, 2:19 pm
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

April 6th 2020, 2:24 pm
@SithSauce, you asked wouldn't this also indicate that TPM Maul is > TCW Maul, and my answer to that is that worse case scenario, all this statement would indicate is that TPM Maul is more powerful than S4 Maul, but not S5 Maul and beyond because LFL sources have confirmed that S5 Maul outgrew his TPM self's powers.
The Fallen Warrior
The Fallen Warrior
Level Four
Level Four

April 6th 2020, 2:48 pm
Refers to accessible potential.

He was "never as strong AS HE COULD HAVE BEEN"

The Fallen Warrior
The Fallen Warrior
Level Four
Level Four

April 6th 2020, 2:48 pm
That's said Anakin is likely marginally above Vader
MyGod000
MyGod000

April 6th 2020, 2:49 pm
oh...this is interesting Sam Witwer on Lucas and Vader 2960029119 Sam Witwer on Lucas and Vader 2960029119
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

April 6th 2020, 3:16 pm
> Korriban wrote:Refers to accessible potential.

ISV, a sentence before that, Witwer literally says "

George Lucas would say that Darth Vader wasn't as good because he got cut up and turned into part machine. 
SithSauce
SithSauce
Level One
Level One

April 6th 2020, 3:21 pm
Latham2000 wrote:@SithSauce, you asked wouldn't this also indicate that TPM Maul is > TCW Maul, and my answer to that is that worse case scenario, all this statement would indicate is that TPM Maul is more powerful than S4 Maul, but not S5 Maul and beyond because LFL sources have confirmed that S5 Maul outgrew his TPM self's powers.

Fair enough, besides Shadow Conspiracy do you have any sources that confirm SOD Maul>TPM?
The Fallen Warrior
The Fallen Warrior
Level Four
Level Four

April 6th 2020, 3:38 pm
Latham2000 wrote:
> Korriban wrote:Refers to accessible potential.

ISV, a sentence before that, Witwer literally says "

George Lucas would say that Darth Vader wasn't as good because he got cut up and turned into part machine. 

Yeah that's been repeated before refers to MFV and KFV.

Sorry, I guess I didn't get what you were trying to say.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

April 6th 2020, 4:18 pm
Why is this in the Legends section, when the interview is from Canon?
The Fallen Warrior
The Fallen Warrior
Level Four
Level Four

April 6th 2020, 4:25 pm
Well lucas doesn't apply to canon
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

April 6th 2020, 4:38 pm
> Korriban wrote:Well lucas doesn't apply to canon

Right, but the interview does.

But regardless though, it's not speaking anything new anyway.
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

April 6th 2020, 4:49 pm
Zenwolf wrote:
> Korriban wrote:Well lucas doesn't apply to canon

Right, but the interview does.

But regardless though, it's not speaking anything new anyway.
Sam Witwer on Lucas and Vader 2864379292
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

April 11th 2020, 7:22 am
SithSauce wrote:
Latham2000 wrote:@SithSauce, you asked wouldn't this also indicate that TPM Maul is > TCW Maul, and my answer to that is that worse case scenario, all this statement would indicate is that TPM Maul is more powerful than S4 Maul, but not S5 Maul and beyond because LFL sources have confirmed that S5 Maul outgrew his TPM self's powers.

Fair enough, besides Shadow Conspiracy do you have any sources that confirm SOD Maul>TPM?

Sorry for the late response. StarWars.com does indicate that as of S5, Maul outgrew his TPM powers, by saying that his powers were restored by Talzin, but started growing in S5. The Sam Witwer quote saying that the Force would fail Maul obviously only refers to S4... Because that's literally the only episode where it actually fails him i.e. Maul struggling to pull his lightsaber. Sith Hunters and TCW S4 DVD description says that Maul was restored to former power as of S4, though this doesn't necessarily mean he was able to tap into those powers on a whim, given that he struggled pulling his lightsaber to him.
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

April 11th 2020, 7:24 am
Zenwolf wrote:Why is this in the Legends section, when the interview is from Canon?

Because Witwer is reflecting on what Lucas would say when he was involved in the creative process of TCW, which is before he sold Lucasfilm to Disney. Ergo, it's Legends.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum