Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
SithSauce
SithSauce
Level One
Level One

Darth Vader vs Darth Nihilus (sabers only) Empty Darth Vader vs Darth Nihilus (sabers only)

September 23rd 2019, 1:41 pm
Interested to hear opinions on this
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

Darth Vader vs Darth Nihilus (sabers only) Empty Re: Darth Vader vs Darth Nihilus (sabers only)

September 23rd 2019, 1:48 pm
Horribly mismatched.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

Darth Vader vs Darth Nihilus (sabers only) Empty Re: Darth Vader vs Darth Nihilus (sabers only)

September 23rd 2019, 2:40 pm
Utter mismatch, laughably so.
Blade_of_Dorin
Blade_of_Dorin
Level One
Level One

September 23rd 2019, 2:46 pm
Stop it.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

September 23rd 2019, 2:47 pm
Saw that, @DarthAnt66.
Blade_of_Dorin
Blade_of_Dorin
Level One
Level One

September 23rd 2019, 2:50 pm
What did you see lol?
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

September 23rd 2019, 2:54 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
HellfireUnit wrote:Horribly mismatched.

Darth Vader vs Darth Nihilus (sabers only) 1289255181

"The thing is, in IV, V, and VI, you didn’t really get to see real Jedi in action. To me, that was something that a lot of people would want to see. And of course, the other part is, where are the Jedi at this point? What are they? We’ve never seen one, really, except for Obi-Wan. I wanted to come up with an apprentice for the Emperor who was striking and tough. We hadn’t seen a Sith Lord before, except for Vader, of course." (2019)

“In this rendition, Vader was half-man, half-machine, and Obi-Wan was pretty much an old man, so this fight was a hard one for them. It wasn’t an acrobatic, jump-around, fast fight. It was a hard fight to fight, because they’re both kind of old Jedi.” (2004)

"We have never seen real Jedis at work. We have only seen old men, or crippled half-droid, half-men, and young boys who have learned from them. So, seeing a Jedi fighting in the prime of the Jedi, I wanted it to be a much more energetic and faster version." (1999)
The Adventurous Jedi
The Adventurous Jedi
Level Seven
Level Seven

September 23rd 2019, 3:02 pm
Lmao.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

September 23rd 2019, 3:04 pm
Ant over here not able to tell the difference between an out of universe excuse for poor choreography and an in-universe fight.
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

September 23rd 2019, 3:08 pm
It is what it is, and it's not what it's not.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

September 23rd 2019, 3:10 pm
AKA it is an excuse for poor choreography. It's basically Lucas going "um, well I intended for Vader and Ben to fight like they both needed to take a shit and were fighting over who got to use the toilet first after being diagnosed with rheumatism". It's on the level of JK Rowling's "the Deathly Hallows being Harry, Snape and Voldemort was intentional" BS.
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

September 23rd 2019, 3:54 pm
DarthAnt66 wrote:
HellfireUnit wrote:Horribly mismatched.

Darth Vader vs Darth Nihilus (sabers only) 1289255181

"The thing is, in IV, V, and VI, you didn’t really get to see real Jedi in action. To me, that was something that a lot of people would want to see. And of course, the other part is, where are the Jedi at this point? What are they? We’ve never seen one, really, except for Obi-Wan. I wanted to come up with an apprentice for the Emperor who was striking and tough. We hadn’t seen a Sith Lord before, except for Vader, of course." (2019)

“In this rendition, Vader was half-man, half-machine, and Obi-Wan was pretty much an old man, so this fight was a hard one for them. It wasn’t an acrobatic, jump-around, fast fight. It was a hard fight to fight, because they’re both kind of old Jedi.” (2004)

"We have never seen real Jedis at work. We have only seen old men, or crippled half-droid, half-men, and young boys who have learned from them. So, seeing a Jedi fighting in the prime of the Jedi, I wanted it to be a much more energetic and faster version." (1999)

Interesting. Thank goodness Lucas didn't add a 900 years old space midget running and leaping across the room in the Prequels, aight? Darth Vader vs Darth Nihilus (sabers only) 1019854026
Deronn_Solo
Deronn_Solo

September 23rd 2019, 4:25 pm
Vader stomps.
SithSauce
SithSauce
Level One
Level One

September 23rd 2019, 5:54 pm
As much as I admire Lucas, his explanation is dumb af. Can't he just accept that he didn't have the time or resources to craft well choreographed duels back then, instead of coming up with dumb in universe explanations that just boils down to "Vader and Ben are old men, so they can't fight". And gotta love how he say's we see real jedi in their prime in the PT, considering most of them are presented as fodder except for the main/important ones.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

September 23rd 2019, 6:45 pm
SithSauce wrote:As much as I admire Lucas, his explanation is dumb af. Can't he just accept that he didn't have the time or resources to craft well choreographed duels back then, instead of coming up with dumb in universe explanations that just boils down to "Vader and Ben are old men, so they can't fight". And gotta love how he say's we see real jedi in their prime in the PT, considering most of them are presented as fodder except for the main/important ones.
What people tend to forget is that Lucas was trying to promote the Prequels at this point. Of course he's going to say "you know that Vader vs Luke fight? Now imagine a much better version of it. Come see my films!" The featurettes were released in 2001, a year before AOTC and 4 years before ROTS. It's safe to say that he wanted people to know that the Prequels would be more action-packed and have more engaging lightsaber fights than the OT.
Shioz
Shioz

September 24th 2019, 4:54 am
Deronn_Solo wrote:Vader stomps.
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

September 24th 2019, 9:33 pm
(Just wanted to note that I don't think Vader is beneath generic PT Jedi for those that couldn't tell, lol. I don't think Lucas does either.)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

September 25th 2019, 1:57 pm
Shioz wrote:
Deronn_Solo wrote:Vader stomps.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

September 25th 2019, 1:58 pm
DarthAnt66 wrote:(Just wanted to note that I don't think Vader is beneath generic PT Jedi for those that couldn't tell, lol. I don't think Lucas does either.)
Honestly, with the way the advertising goes he'd say it just to get people to see those films. His quotes always have to be taken with a grain of salt.
dark_globe
dark_globe

September 25th 2019, 4:56 pm
sabers only ?
vader curbs
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

September 25th 2019, 4:58 pm
BreakofDawn wrote:
DarthAnt66 wrote:(Just wanted to note that I don't think Vader is beneath generic PT Jedi for those that couldn't tell, lol. I don't think Lucas does either.)
Honestly, with the way the advertising goes he'd say it just to get people to see those films. His quotes always have to be taken with a grain of salt.

@BreakofDawn: Well, I definitely don't agree with you there. Not only is Lucas' word nigh-absolute under LFL policy and Leland Chee's Holocron database, but his word can literally retcon entire swaths EU material instantly. If, for example, Lucas said Vader never used X Force ability, then three EU books show Vader with X Force ability, those instances are non-canon. Or, if Lucas says Vader is weaker than character X, then fifty sourcebooks say Vader is stronger than X, Lucas' quote takes priority.

To my knowledge, Star Wars is the only universe that puts such word-of-god emphasis to its creator, but it is what it is.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

September 25th 2019, 5:12 pm
DarthAnt66 wrote:
BreakofDawn wrote:

@BreakofDawn: Well, I definitely don't agree with you there. Not only is Lucas' word nigh-absolute under LFL policy and Leland Chee's Holocron database, but his word can literally retcon entire swaths EU material instantly. If, for example, Lucas said Vader never used X Force ability, then three EU books show Vader with X Force ability, those instances are non-canon. Or, if Lucas says Vader is weaker than character X, then fifty sourcebooks say Vader is stronger than X, Lucas' quote takes priority.

To my knowledge, Star Wars is the only universe that puts such word-of-god emphasis to its creator, but it is what it is.
Noted, but again this would therefore put him below Coleman Trebor or even below generic padawans. It’s clearly meant to be a form of advertising to promote the new approach to the films.
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

September 25th 2019, 5:16 pm
Lucas' commentary can be interpreted a variety of ways. I don't think him stressing this is the prime of the Jedi and whatnot means literally every Jedi seen is better than Vader, Ben, and Luke. And this has nothing to do with advertising -- he's said it in the DVD commentaries, and he's said it again in 2019 a few months ago. Pablo Hidalgo and other sources, such as TPM Magazines, have also repeated this extensively. Note it's G-Canon even if it was advertising though.

Last edited by DarthAnt66 on September 25th 2019, 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
SithSauce
SithSauce
Level One
Level One

September 25th 2019, 5:17 pm
DarthAnt66 wrote:
BreakofDawn wrote:

But lets say if there was a scenario where Lucas say's "the Old Republic is trash, and Revan,Malak, Vitiate don't exist in my universe"
What would we do then?
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

September 25th 2019, 5:19 pm
SithSauce wrote:
DarthAnt66 wrote:
BreakofDawn wrote:

But lets say if there was a scenario where Lucas say's "the Old Republic is trash, and Revan,Malak, Vitiate don't exist in my universe"
What would we do then?

Lucas recognizes two parallel universes -- his film/TCW universe and the LFL universe. LFL officials, such as Leland Chee and Pablo Hidalgo, have the authority to dictate what is canon within the LFL universe, but their own rules put Lucas' statements/drafts over any of their own content (ergo, "G-Canon"). So, if Lucas said they don't exist within "my universe," that would be recognized as just referring to "his universe" and not the "LFL universe."

Last edited by DarthAnt66 on September 25th 2019, 5:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum