Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
FreedonNadd
FreedonNadd

George Lucas confirms that Palpatine wanted to possess Luke Skywalker's body during Return of The Jedi  Empty George Lucas confirms that Palpatine wanted to possess Luke Skywalker's body during Return of The Jedi

April 25th 2019, 1:40 pm
George Lucas confirms that Palpatine wanted to possess Luke Skywalker's body during Return of The Jedi  Fb_img10
A theory I also had ever since I have read the Dark Empire Trilogy.
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

George Lucas confirms that Palpatine wanted to possess Luke Skywalker's body during Return of The Jedi  Empty Re: George Lucas confirms that Palpatine wanted to possess Luke Skywalker's body during Return of The Jedi

April 25th 2019, 1:49 pm
Very cool, but where does he say George confirms that?

In The Making of ROTJ, George says that Palpatine says that because he can stop Luke's swing with telekinesis.
LSDMB
LSDMB

George Lucas confirms that Palpatine wanted to possess Luke Skywalker's body during Return of The Jedi  Empty Re: George Lucas confirms that Palpatine wanted to possess Luke Skywalker's body during Return of The Jedi

April 25th 2019, 1:55 pm
I don't see how that proves he wanted to possess Luke's body.
dark-sith123
dark-sith123

April 25th 2019, 7:14 pm
...How does this prove Palpatine wanted to possess Luke's body? It was stated that Palpatine had arranged for rebirth after the inevitable decay of his body. That can mean practically anything- that he'll live on as some sort of ghost, that he has created a batch of clone hosts he will inhabit (much like what was done in Dark Empire) or something else. Sure, Palpatine wanting to possess Luke's body is a possibility, but we have not recieved conclusive confirmation.
trayvon
trayvon

April 26th 2019, 12:21 am
Tom Veitch lmao, does he just sit around on FB all day answering Star Wars questions?
FreedonNadd
FreedonNadd

April 26th 2019, 3:26 am
DarthAnt66 wrote:Very cool, but where does he say George confirms that?

In The Making of ROTJ, George says that Palpatine says that because he can stop Luke's swing with telekinesis.

Because we have the whole: "Strike me down." speech. Palpatine would not say that if he had no hidden cards in his sleeve. 
Plus, we know he already switched bodies during the movie-timeline. He even wanted to possess Leia's unborn son, but Brand messed  with his plans.
FreedonNadd
FreedonNadd

April 26th 2019, 3:28 am
dark-sith123 wrote:...How does this prove Palpatine wanted to possess Luke's body? It was stated that Palpatine had arranged for rebirth after the inevitable decay of his body. That can mean practically anything- that he'll live on as some sort of ghost, that he has created a batch of clone hosts he will inhabit (much like what was done in Dark Empire) or something else. Sure, Palpatine wanting to possess Luke's body is a possibility, but we have not recieved conclusive confirmation.

Tell me how many times you saw a Sith Lord encourage lightsiders to kill him/her? 
He already knew Transference. So this is the context Tom Veitch was talking about. Otherwise he would not mention Palpatine's speech.
FreedonNadd
FreedonNadd

April 26th 2019, 3:30 am
LSDMB wrote:I don't see how that proves he wanted to possess Luke's body.

Because Palpatine can possess people if his current body is destroyed. That is why he encouraged Luke/Anakin to kill him
FreedonNadd
FreedonNadd

April 26th 2019, 3:31 am
Jake wrote:Tom Veitch lmao, does he just sit around on FB all day answering Star Wars questions?

He is a nice guy to hang with.
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

April 26th 2019, 10:37 am
Hellsjudge wrote:

Because we have the whole: "Strike me down." speech. Palpatine would not say that if he had no hidden cards in his sleeve. 

His hidden card was that he was powerful enough to block Luke's blow, per Lucas in Making of ROTJ.
Sasukedc
Sasukedc

April 26th 2019, 4:33 pm
I've always chalked it up to him having absolute confidence that Vader would defend him.
FreedonNadd
FreedonNadd

July 11th 2020, 6:49 am
DarthAnt66 wrote:
Hellsjudge wrote:

His hidden card was that he was powerful enough to block Luke's blow, per Lucas in Making of ROTJ.
 By "he" you mean Palpatine or Vader? Because Palpatine did nothing but stay in his throne chair.
The Merchant
The Merchant

July 11th 2020, 1:12 pm
Tom Veitch had the inspiration of bringing back Palpatine in dark Empire because of the idea that even if Luke killed Palpatine that Palpatine already had his clone bodies at the ready. Actually I think that might have been said in the DE endnotes not sure thoihh.
SnowxElf
SnowxElf

July 12th 2020, 6:00 pm
"it was George Lucas' idea to bring back the emperor"

This doesn't seem right because George Lucas actually complained about Sheev coming back in DE. He didn't like it because he thought it messed up the prophecy.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

July 12th 2020, 6:09 pm
SnowxElf wrote:
"it was George Lucas' idea to bring back the emperor"

This doesn't seem right because George Lucas actually complained about Sheev coming back in DE. He didn't like it because he thought it messed up the prophecy.

Eh? Far as I'm aware, GL was fine with Palps being brought back, even gave Tom the go ahead.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

July 12th 2020, 6:21 pm
@SnowxElf @Zenwolf George vetoed Vader coming back in any way. He gave them the go-ahead for Palps:

How did you come up with the idea of bringing back the Emperor?

TOM: Our original proposal was to bring back Darth Vader's costume and mask, with somebody else inside it. We felt the Empire would want to maintain the fearsome image of Vader and wouldn't much care who was wearing the armor and breathing mask. George vetoed that idea (although he did allow us to have Vader appear in dreams and memories). He said, no, you can't bring back the Vader costume...but if you can figure out how to bring back the Emperor, that's o.k.

The obvious way to bring back the Emperor was with cloning, which George immediately approved.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

July 12th 2020, 6:57 pm
BoD wrote:@SnowxElf @Zenwolf George vetoed Vader coming back in any way. He gave them the go-ahead for Palps:

How did you come up with the idea of bringing back the Emperor?
TOM: Our original proposal was to bring back Darth Vader's costume and mask, with somebody else inside it. We felt the Empire would want to maintain the fearsome image of Vader and wouldn't much care who was wearing the armor and breathing mask. George vetoed that idea (although he did allow us to have Vader appear in dreams and memories). He said, no, you can't bring back the Vader costume...but if you can figure out how to bring back the Emperor, that's o.k.
The obvious way to bring back the Emperor was with cloning, which George immediately approved.

Didn't GL also like the story Tom wrote?

But yeah, at the time, it didn't screw with any kind of prophecy cause the PT hadn't been put down yet, which is what many seem to overlook when people are angry that Palps came back in RoS and say "well Palps did so in DE! So why is it wrong here?!"

Like...they don't understand, Tom couldn't see the future.  George Lucas confirms that Palpatine wanted to possess Luke Skywalker's body during Return of The Jedi  1220391476
SnowxElf
SnowxElf

July 13th 2020, 12:44 am
Interesting I never knew he actually liked it. I never thought DE was bad tbh.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

July 13th 2020, 1:22 pm
SnowxElf wrote:Interesting I never knew he actually liked it. I never thought DE was bad tbh.
I didn’t mind it. A bit the artwork probably could have been better. I think it gets a lot of flack due to the overwhelming abundance of super weapons IE: World Devastators and Galaxy Gun ontop of Sidious returning. Though the latter I’m sure it’s only because of the PT and prophecy, but again at the time in the 90s such a thing wasn’t written. All Anakin did was save his son from an evil emperor.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum