Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

Tresina Lobi respect thread/Analysis  Empty Tresina Lobi respect thread/Analysis

August 12th 2019, 10:59 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Tresina Lobi respect thread/Analysis  72949a10

Accolades (chronological order) 

1-During her training in the Jedi praxeum, she shows a talent for blending into crowds. Furthermore, she shows her skill by surviving the Yuuzahn Vong war and is therefore chosen by Luke to sit on the Jedi council:

Tresina Lobi respect thread/Analysis  Cd0aef10
-the complete Star Wars encyclopedia 

2-Before recognizing her identity, Alema Rar realizes she must be an adept jedi, especially when it came to her ability to shut down her force presence: 

Whoever it was, the shadow had to be a Jedi- and a fairly adept one, at that. Like Lumiya and Alema herself he-or she- had drawn in on himself until he no longer seemed to have a force presence at all. 
-tempest 

3- Alema Rar, who was quite an arrogant dark jedi, considered Lobi too strong for Lumiya and her  to take out, and that they need all the help they can get (note that Lumiya had just told Jacen to go, so that’s the “help” she was eluding at) 

No.” Alema wanted to yell. Lobi is too dangerous -- we need all the help we can get!
But of course, she did not dare. During the early stages of the Killiks’ conflict with the Galactic Alliance, her nest -- the Dark Nest -- had attempted to inate Jacen’s daughter, and she was quite sure that he’d be happy to let Lobi kill her.

-tempest

4-she later notes that Lobi is a powerful opponent who clearly deserves her rank, showing once again respect towards her skill: 
Lobi had never been a flashy fighter, but she was powerful and effective-and clearly deserving of her rank.
- tempest

5- she ultimately gives her one last praise through force whisper, although it was mainly meant to intimidate her: 

"You are good, Master Lobi -- but not that good." Alema spoke in a Force whisper so soft that it was little more than a thought. "Even you cannot defeat two of us."
-tempest 

Duel with Alema Rar and Lumiya (analysis) 

Jedi master Tresina Lobi has only one major showing of power/skill (that being her confrontation with Lumiya and Alema Rar in the novel tempest ), all the others being simply implied to have happened and not really worthy of attention. However, given its impressiveness and relative obscurity, I feel like it is important to analyze it deeply. All the quotes are from the aforementioned novel. 

Code:
before proceeding with the analysis, let’s give this feat a bit of context. It takes place in 40 ABY. The scene features Jacen Solo, meeting Lumiya on fellowship Plaza (on Coruscant), right after discussing with Ben Skywalker about the current jedi. However, Lobi had been sent to follow Ben and his interactions with Jacen, whose actions were increasingly close to the dark side. There, she discovers Lumiya, who is apparently Jacen’s teacher, but before she can give the information to Luke she is attacked by Alema Rar, who had been present and was spying Jacen and Lumiya as well. 

• first  see how she actually fared in the first half of the fight, against Alema Alone:

Alema sprang from her hiding place, activating her blade as she flew through the air. Lobi was already rolling, her hand flying from her throat as she reached for her own weapon.
Alema stretched her jump into a Force leap and brought her mangled half foot down between Lobi’s shoulder blades… then felt a crushing pain as the Chev continued to roll, smashing the back of an elbow into Alema’s knee and knocking her legs out from beneath her.
Alema landed flat atop a chrysanthus shrub, surprised and hurting. Lobi had never been a flashy fighter, but she was powerful and effective-and clearly deserving of her rank. Alema whipped her lightsaber around to protect herself, half expecting to feel the death slash before it reached middle guard.
But the Chev had been disoriented by the unexpected ault and decided to buy some reaction time by leaping into a high Force flip. Alema arched her back and sprang to her feet-then nearly fell when her aching knee buckled. Instead of leaping into another attack, she extended her hand and used the Force to pluck the headset off Lobi’s head.
The Chev landed an instant later, her eyes wide with rage and disbelief, but she wasted no time acknowledging Alema’s identity. She merely ignited her own lightsaber and raced forward to attack.
Alema barely had time to slash the headset apart before the Chev was on her, driving her back toward the hedge with a combination of high slashes and powerful front thrust kicks. The first kick that landed drove the air from Alema’s lungs. The second doubled her over, making her an easy target-until she used the Force to accelerate herself off Lobi’s foot and deep into the hedge where she had been hiding a moment earlier.
As Alema crashed into the blartrees, she heard Lumiya on the other side, calling down the walkway to Jacen.
source: tempest 

Here is an explanation of what happens. 

• initially, Alema attempts to attack Lobi by taking her off-guard, but her opponent ( clearly possessing superior speed) reacts in time , starting to roll. with merely an elbow strike, Lobi menages to provoke immense pain on Alema. Rar menages to rip Lobi of her headset, not because of superior skill, but because she made a move Lobi was not expecting. the fight continues: now Lobi ( apparently enraged at seeing Alema) is on the offensive and she immediately starts to overwhelm Alema with her strength: in fact she finds herself almost beaten after 2 kicks. Had Lumiys not intervened, she would have already been defeated. 

So, what do we have? Lobi, on equal ground, is capable of overwhelming Rar's defenses with two strikes. this is basically the living embodiment of a stomp.
later, Rar menages to injure Lobi with force lightning, although it should be noted that Lobi was taken off-guard and that Alema had to extensively gather her energies :
A moment later its power began to burn, and she released it in a long crackling bolt that caught her target square between the shoulder blades-and drove her to the ground.
Lumiya emerged from the hedge, her lightwhip burning a bright-colored hole in the fog. She glanced at the blue bolts coming from Alema’s fingertips, then asked again, "Who are you?"
"We’re a friend." Continuing to pour Force lightning into Lobi’s prostrate form, Alema limped forward on her throbbing knee. "One who doesn’t wish Master Sky-walker to learn what you are doing with his nephew." Lumiya followed. "We? I don’t see..."

• in order to save herself, Lobi hurls a decorative burn. her grip on it was so strong that Rar is completely incapable of breaking it, and this without taking into account the fact that Lobi did this while under the effect of Alema's lightning. The impact of the urn sends her flying. 

Lobi suddenly stopped writhing and extended a hand toward a nearby patio. A decorative urn came flying out of the fog.
Alema let the Force lightning sizzle out and tried to redirect the urn, but Lobi’s Force grasp was too secure. The urn caught her full in her crippled shoulder and sent Her flying. She landed in the chrysanthus shrubs several meters away, her body throbbing with pain and her mind numb with shock.
At this point, Lobi starts engaging Lumiya, at it is noted how she drives her back immediately, and works her way inside lumiya's lightwhip, a notable feat considering that Luke himself had difficulty in doing that. 
The hum-and-sizzle of clashing weapons slowly brought her back to her senses, and she sat up to find Tresina Lobi spinning and parrying, slowly forcing Lumiya back, probing and feinting, trying to work her way past the crackling strands of Lumiya’s exotic lightwhip -- and into the striking range of a lightsaber.
Further proving Lobi's overwhelming superiority to Rar, she grabs her in the force and hurls her against Lumiya, using the opportunity to disarm the cyborg and sever her arm:
Lobi sprang into a backflip and sailed over a crackling whip strike. Then, as she was still descending, she extended a hand in Alema’s direction and used the Force to pull her into the path of the flashing strands. Lumiya barely managed to shut down the weapon before it struck, and even then the hot filaments cut through Alema’s robe, burning a rainbow of hot welts into her thigh and ribs.
Alema was still screaming when Lobi landed at Lumiya’s side. The Chev brought her lightsaber down, and Lumiya’s weapon arm -- one of her many cybernetic parts -- fell to the ground trailing sparks and hydraulic fluid.
At this point, the duo starts to gain ground, thanks to a trick on Alema's part, yet the chev jedi master continues to hold her own against the two and stagger Alema with her strength, until Alema confuses her with her "force whispers" and the two ultimately overwhelm the jedi master. 

Lobi reversed her blade instantly, angling for Lumiya’s torso, but Alema was already leaping forward to catch the Chev’s attack on her own lightsaber.
Lobi whipped her lightsaber around low, aiming at Alema’s knees and forcing her to leap back.
Alema pointed at Lumiya’s severed arm, then used the Force to send it spinning toward Lobi’s head. The Chev woman ducked easily, but that gave Lumiya time to call her lightwhip into her remaining hand and strike again. Lobi pivoted away from the attack. Alema sprang at her from behind, striking for the Chev’s thick neck, then cried out in surprise as a huge foot glanced off her ribs . . . and still sent her staggering back.
Lumiya seized the opportunity to launch a flurry of attacks, fanning the strands of her whip to make it more difficult to block, striking right and left to prevent the Chev from pivoting away again, slowly driving Lobi back toward Alema’s droning lightsaber.
Then, finally, Lobi faltered, gathering herself for a Force leap, but hesitating and retreating another step toward Alema instead. It was the moment Alema had been waiting for.
"You are good, Master Lobi -- but not that good." Alema spoke in a Force whisper so soft that it was little more than a thought. "Even you cannot defeat two of us."
Lobi’s head snapped around, her eyes filled with confusion and doubt, and she spun into a whirling charge of crescent kicks and horizontal lightsaber strikes.
Alema held her ground, ducking a Iightsaber strike and letting a kick slip off her shoulder, then Force-slammed the hilt of her Iightsaber into the pit of the Chev’s stomach and spoke again in her Force whisper.
"No good."
Amazingly, Lobi stumbled only one step back... but that step was one too far. Lumiya’s lightwhip caught her across the back of the legs and severed them both at the knees. The Chev roared first in anger, then -- as she dropped onto the stumps and pitched forward onto her hands -- in agony.
It was a terrible sound to hear. Alema stepped forward and spoke once more in her Force whisper.
"There is no need to suffer." She swept her blade across the back of the Chev’s neck, and the head tumbled away. "Your fight is done."
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

Tresina Lobi respect thread/Analysis  Empty Re: Tresina Lobi respect thread/Analysis

August 12th 2019, 11:03 am
I’m having some issues with the formatting atm, so it isn’t 100% complete
The Adventurous Jedi
The Adventurous Jedi
Level Seven
Level Seven

Tresina Lobi respect thread/Analysis  Empty Re: Tresina Lobi respect thread/Analysis

August 12th 2019, 11:26 am
Nice.

Tresina Lobi respect thread/Analysis  1019854026
xolthol
xolthol
Level Five
Level Five

August 12th 2019, 12:36 pm
Really good one. @MasterCilghal I like the fact that the NJO era seems to get more love nowday
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

August 12th 2019, 12:54 pm
xolthol wrote:Really good one. @MasterCilghal I like the fact that the NJO era seems to get more love nowday
Yeah I completely agree. It has been underestimated for too long.
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

August 12th 2019, 3:09 pm
Tresina Lobi respect thread/Analysis  1289255181
The Fallen Warrior
The Fallen Warrior
Level Four
Level Four

August 14th 2019, 3:20 am
Honestly i think Cilghal exists to be the next sas, and lurk then all of a sudden make a post of great quality only to dissapear because he's so badass he actually has a life
Gideon/Tempest
Gideon/Tempest

August 18th 2019, 3:42 pm
Good thread. Ol' Lobi is one of the random and unsung heavyweights of LOTF.
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

August 18th 2019, 3:48 pm
Gideon/Tempest wrote:Good thread. Ol' Lobi is one of the random and unsung heavyweights of LOTF.
Thanks. I guess it is because she doesn’t appear much.
Gideon/Tempest
Gideon/Tempest

August 18th 2019, 3:49 pm
MasterCilghal wrote:
Gideon/Tempest wrote:Good thread. Ol' Lobi is one of the random and unsung heavyweights of LOTF.
Thanks. I guess it is because she doesn’t appear much.

Yes, and she's disproportionately skilled and powerful for her relative anonymity.
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

August 18th 2019, 3:52 pm
@Gideon/Tempest I never understood the purpose of that fight. It’s like Denning wanted to show how powerful the jedi on the council can be. I mean, Alema Rae was Denning’s favorite/most important character to develop, and she made her look like a joke against Lobi, who technically should be a nobody.
Gideon/Tempest
Gideon/Tempest

August 18th 2019, 3:55 pm
MasterCilghal wrote:@Gideon/Tempest I never understood the purpose of that fight. It’s like Denning wanted to show how powerful the jedi on the council can be. I mean, Alema Rae was Denning’s favorite/most important character to develop, and she made her look like a joke against Lobi, who technically should be a nobody.

It's mostly because LOTF and FOTJ are almost entirely shit with a surprising lack of narrative competence from a trio of professional authors.
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

August 18th 2019, 4:06 pm
Gideon/Tempest wrote:
MasterCilghal wrote:@Gideon/Tempest I never understood the purpose of that fight. It’s like Denning wanted to show how powerful the jedi on the council can be. I mean, Alema Rae was Denning’s favorite/most important character to develop, and she made her look like a joke against Lobi, who technically should be a nobody.

It's mostly because LOTF and FOTJ are almost entirely shit with a surprising lack of narrative competence from a trio of professional authors.
I actually disagree. There are some bad parts but, for example, Outcast is my favourite SW book. But that’s up to one’s personal opinion I think.
Gideon/Tempest
Gideon/Tempest

August 18th 2019, 4:10 pm
MasterCilghal wrote:
Gideon/Tempest wrote:

I actually disagree. There are some bad parts but, for example, Outcast is my favourite SW book. But that’s up to one’s personal opinion I think.

Preference is subjective, yep. But Outcast? Yuck.

What SW books have you read?
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

August 18th 2019, 4:21 pm
Many, including some of the most beloved ones such as Plagueis, Yoda DR, the Bane trilogy and so on. I enjoyed Outcast for many reasons, I liked the idea of Luke being exiled, his experience on Dorin, the banter ( which is what I really enjoy about Aaron Allston), the force physicosis, the fact that it featured Cilghal a lot, but most importantly the fact that it was a far more “quiet” story than what we are used to.
Gideon/Tempest
Gideon/Tempest

August 18th 2019, 4:25 pm
MasterCilghal wrote:Many, including some of the most beloved ones such as Plagueis, Yoda DR, the Bane trilogy and so on. I enjoyed Outcast for many reasons, I liked the idea of Luke being exiled, his experience on Dorin, the banter ( which is what I really enjoy about Aaron Allston), the force physicosis, the fact that it featured Cilghal a lot, but most importantly the fact that it was a far more “quiet” story than what we are used to.

Weird, but fair enough.  Tresina Lobi respect thread/Analysis  1289255181
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

August 18th 2019, 4:28 pm
I know, but after all i’m a fan of weird stuff
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

August 19th 2019, 4:18 am
Nice thread Cilghal, good to see RTs for underrated characters.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum