Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Mysteryman06
Mysteryman06

Is the Mandalorian overhyped? Empty Is the Mandalorian overhyped?

December 24th 2020, 3:03 pm
Obviously the majority of the fanbase love this show but is that only due to their standards for Star Wars being so low given what Disney gave us before with the Sequel Trilogy or do you think it's a legitimately good show? Plus did the constant fan service in almost every episode help boost people's opinion of the show?

IMO, while I do enjoy the show, it obviously has some writing problems, especially in the recent season. That could be because they're on a tight budget, therefore they are very limited to what they could showcase in live action for a smaller screen. I hope this improves for future seasons and shows. Also I would really like if they raised the threat level more, it feels like stormtroopers are just there to be canon fodder to our main characters, to the point where it doesn't seem impressive anymore when any of the crew go on a massive stormtrooper killing spree because we know stormtroopers are idiots and will die anyway. This also takes away the tension and stakes required for me to care about the characters in the situation they are in. The components for a great tv show is great build up, that means establishing the threat well. And I feel the Mandalorian hasn't really done this well. Even when setting up their main antagonist (Moff Gideon), at the end he was just there to get beaten by Din Djarin in a relatively short duel and look even more pathetic when Luke Skywalker arrives. This was a very disappointing showing for the main antagonist of the show who they spent 2 seasons building up to be a massive threat to Mando and his crew.
Oh well..

Last edited by Mysteryman06 on December 24th 2020, 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

Is the Mandalorian overhyped? Empty Re: Is the Mandalorian overhyped?

December 24th 2020, 3:14 pm
Most certainly bringing in fan favorites help with ratings, especially if they haven't been seen in awhile on a visual medium(IE: Ahsoka/Boba/Luke, well yeah we got Luke in TLJ/ROS, but combative wise), then also the fan service and easter eggs. But I could see it being a legitimate show without all of that too.

Also yeah, if the opposition isn't somewhat putting pressure or resembling a threat, then it's basically wasted and doesn't mean much.

Last edited by Zenwolf on December 24th 2020, 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

December 24th 2020, 3:15 pm
Yes, it is definitely overhyped due to being the first live action Star Wars series. Besides, it is obvious that the show's been used to tease larger plans for the future of the franchise and due to the granted fan service, it is basically immune to any criticism from the community. Especially after the failure of Sequel Trilogy.
Mysteryman06
Mysteryman06

December 24th 2020, 3:37 pm
HellfireUnit wrote:Yes, it is definitely overhyped due to being the first live action Star Wars series. Besides, it is obvious that the show's been used to tease larger plans for the future of the franchise and due to the granted fan service, it is basically immune to any criticism from the community. Especially after the failure of Sequel Trilogy.

Also Dave Filoni was involved and he is considered to be practically a savior to SW fans
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

December 24th 2020, 3:44 pm
Mysteryman06 wrote:
HellfireUnit wrote:Yes, it is definitely overhyped due to being the first live action Star Wars series. Besides, it is obvious that the show's been used to tease larger plans for the future of the franchise and due to the granted fan service, it is basically immune to any criticism from the community. Especially after the failure of Sequel Trilogy.

Also Dave Filoni was involved and he is considered to be practically a savior to SW fans

yeah, a fucking retarded and normie opinion.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

December 24th 2020, 3:49 pm
HellfireUnit wrote:
Mysteryman06 wrote:

It's not really saying much considering how much of a trainwreck the ST was, he can be the savior because everything else thus far has been blah. Well...visual media wise, I'm sure the novels and comics are doing something decent. The games.....eh...the only ones I heard anything good for is FO and Squadrons..
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

December 24th 2020, 4:06 pm
Fallen Order was quite decent imo. I actually liked it
Mysteryman06
Mysteryman06

December 24th 2020, 4:39 pm
Zenwolf wrote:
HellfireUnit wrote:
Mysteryman06 wrote:

It's not really saying much considering how much of a trainwreck the ST was, he can be the savior because everything else thus far has been blah. Well...visual media wise, I'm sure the novels and comics are doing something decent. The games.....eh...the only ones I heard anything good for is FO and Squadrons..

It's not just that, Filoni is the only one from Lucasfilm who was probably close to George Lucas and he was already involved in a beloved Star Wars property before Disney took over. Fallen Order is great, I haven't played Squadrons but I heard it was an SJW fest
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

December 24th 2020, 4:59 pm
Mysteryman06 wrote:

It's not just that, Filoni is the only one from Lucasfilm who was probably close to George Lucas and he was already involved in a beloved Star Wars property before Disney took over. Fallen Order is great, I haven't played Squadrons but I heard it was an SJW fest

True so that probably has much to do with it, looking back on TCW or remembering it anyway...it's ok, Rebels....the same, they aren't that groundbreaking or anything like people think they are. But really for Squadrons? That's interesting...how so though?
TheNuisanceBird
TheNuisanceBird

December 24th 2020, 9:09 pm
The only thing I've heard from Squadrons is that you can chose pronouns for some reason.

On the topic of Mando I think it's good and it's nice to finally have quality live action Star Wars content. However season 2's constant fan service eventually cheapened each time it happened and honestly I'm not looking forward to the Ahsoka, Rangers, and Boba show all taking place concurrent to this one.

The strength of Mando was it being it's own thing and not having to worry about treading on anything else. I fear it's gonna turn into Rebels. The first season of Rebels while far from perfect at least stood by itself and told individual and isolated stories. However, when the second season started it seemed like Filoni used it as an excuse to bring all of his prior creations in which sabotaged the story from the characters the show was supposed to be about. This is what the second season of Mando did and I really don't want it to continue.

I agree with Hellfire is that among casuals it's praised as god tier when that's far from the truth. Going forward season 3 should return to the focus on smaller stories that don't have to relate to the sequels or other characters but I doubt that will be true.

Imagine how much harder Luke's hallway scene would hit if we hadn't seen all of these other characters before that. Like literally replace Ahsoka with any other Jedi there wouldn't be a difference.
Mysteryman06
Mysteryman06

December 25th 2020, 7:11 pm
What he said ^
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum