Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
RhoyneDelta
RhoyneDelta

Different creators styles of writing feats/fights Empty Different creators styles of writing feats/fights

July 28th 2020, 7:15 am
Basically what are some of your favorite or least favorite aspects of the way the force and fights are depicted by different authors or just anything you think is interesting. Marrying at times drastically different portrayals (like say the PT and the Force Unleashed) is imo one of the more interesting aspects of Star Wars VS debates.

For example imo Luceno tends to downplay the force a little too much for my liking, such as when he has Mace say it would take five Yodas to lift a train or when Plagueis has troubles with maladian assassins. (of course only due to being caught off-guard, but still) Kevin J. Anderson on the other hand goes a bit too crazy with feats of environmental manipulation, which even relative scrubs are capable off on  a large scale, while physical enhancement is sometimes downplayed (Ulic vs Sylvar, teenage Tenel Ka breaking a clanmothers knee without force enhancement, Luke having difficulties with wampas and bats in Darksaber).

Generally I feel like Drew Karpeyshy and John Ostrander have some of my favorite ways off depicting fights with a nice balance of feats, styles and scaling. I tend to dislike Dave Fillioni or Troy Denning, because it feels to me like they have a lot of characters really close together and as long as there is some circumstance they can justify anyone contending with anyone. Filloni in particular is probably incentivised by the format of a tv series to drag fights out and introduce more and more characters who can contend with each other.
Master Azronger
Master Azronger

Different creators styles of writing feats/fights Empty Re: Different creators styles of writing feats/fights

July 28th 2020, 10:07 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Non-Force-sensitives contending with Force-users never made sense to me. Both Jedi and Sith have top-tier martial training, and the Force is supposed to endow you with super-sentient reflexes, precognition, speed and strength - not to mention outright telekinesis that can't be resisted by anyone who isn't Force-sensitive themselves. Logically, even the average Jedi - a random, nameless Jedi Knight - should be more dangerous and capable in combat than virtually anyone who can't access the Force. Even the likes of HK-47 and General Grievous in some portrayals had very specific unconventional tactics tailored towards combating Jedi - simply outfighting them head-on wasn't a plausible option.

That is how the Force and its users should be portrayed like, in my opinion, even in the hands of the undistinguished rank-and-file Jedi and Sith. And as a logical extension of that, when we get to the top 1% of Force-users that we usually discuss on these boards, depictions like in OCW and TFU should be the norm as opposed to being treated as "exaggerated." Lucas's own idea that the Jedi aren't invincible or superheroes shows a lack of understanding of the implications of his own magic system, which sadly has permeated most of the writer-base over the decades.
The Adventurous Jedi
The Adventurous Jedi
Level Seven
Level Seven

Different creators styles of writing feats/fights Empty Re: Different creators styles of writing feats/fights

July 28th 2020, 10:09 am
Master Azronger wrote:Non-Force-sensitives contending with Force-users never made sense to me. Both Jedi and Sith have top-tier martial training, and the Force is supposed to endow you with super-sentient reflexes, precognition, speed and strength - not to mention outright telekinesis that can't be resisted by anyone who isn't Force-sensitive themselves. Logically, even the average Jedi - a random, nameless Jedi Knight - should be more dangerous and capable in combat than virtually anyone who can't access the Force. Even the likes of HK-47 and General Grievous in some portrayals had very specific unconventional tactics tailored towards combating Jedi - simply outfighting them head-on wasn't a plausible option.

That is how the Force and its users should be portrayed like, in my opinion, even in the hands of the undistinguished rank-and-file Jedi and Sith. And as a logical extension of that, when we get to the top 1% of Force-users that we usually discuss on these boards, depictions like in OCW and TFU should be the norm as opposed to being treated as "exaggerated." Lucas's own idea that the Jedi aren't invincible or superheroes shows a lack of understanding of the implications of his own magic system, which sadly has permeated most of the writer-base over the decades.

Different creators styles of writing feats/fights 1289255181
RhoyneDelta
RhoyneDelta

July 28th 2020, 10:23 am
Master Azronger wrote:Non-Force-sensitives contending with Force-users never made sense to me. Both Jedi and Sith have top-tier martial training, and the Force is supposed to endow you with super-sentient reflexes, precognition, speed and strength - not to mention outright telekinesis that can't be resisted by anyone who isn't Force-sensitive themselves. Logically, even the average Jedi - a random, nameless Jedi Knight - should be more dangerous and capable in combat than virtually anyone who can't access the Force. Even the likes of HK-47 and General Grievous in some portrayals had very specific unconventional tactics tailored towards combating Jedi - simply outfighting them head-on wasn't a plausible option.

Totally agree, I think mandalorians in general are also kind of a cancerous meme in that regard. It's depressing how low people who have only seen the films hold SW characters. George Lucas in general is not good with dealing with powers and people tend to take his at the top of his head guesstimations like 80% Vaader too seriously. It's baffeling how he came up with "the sith grew in power over a millenia" and the best feats we see from Palpatine are multi-senate pod level. While I think ROT scaling is often exaggerated, PoD Bane looks like a god compared to a lot of prequel-era media.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

July 28th 2020, 10:45 am
RhoyneDelta wrote:

Totally agree, I think mandalorians in general are also kind of a cancerous meme in that regard. It's depressing how low people who have only seen the films hold SW characters. George Lucas in general is not good with dealing with powers and people tend to take his at the top of his head guesstimations like 80% Vaader too seriously. It's baffeling how he came up with "the sith grew in power over a millenia" and the best feats we see from Palpatine are multi-senate pod level. While I think ROT scaling is often exaggerated, PoD Bane looks like a god compared to a lot of prequel-era media.

I mean being fair, Non-Force Users didn't have any real chance against a Force User when looking at the OT and PT. The only outlier in all of this is Trebor, but even that is suspect.

Actually you know what, this might be better for a separate thread/blog, I'm honestly sick and tired of seeing this misinformation.

Still I guess that did somewhat bleed into the EU, though you could just see those as outliers at best. DC and Marvel characters have their fair share of outliers, so why should SW be any different? Anyway off to go make that thread.
Nute_Chethray
Nute_Chethray

July 28th 2020, 2:23 pm
On one side I really like how TotJ, TT and JA presents feats, with forceusers fighting through the mind as much as through lightsaber combat. Though in TotJ's case I'd wish fights were longer than one/two panels (with exception of Kun vs Vodo)

On the other I really love Republic Commando's way of handling power, both acknowledging the power advantage forceusers have and showing their mortality very well. Also my favorite medium through which nonforceusers are portrayed, especially the seperatists
O-Siri
O-Siri

July 30th 2020, 10:08 pm
I like rules The Bane trilogy established, particularly in regards to Force barriers. In every other medium it’s never clear to what extent of force user can harm another force user with the force. Whether or not it’s a matter of being more powerful or just skillful timing. 

Not a fan of OCW exaggeration. It’s completely out of tone with the rest of the multimedia project which is much more grounded by comparison. I prefer my Jedi to be treated more like special forces commandos not superhero’s.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum