Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
The Slick Obi
The Slick Obi

Is there anything in Disney Canon explicitly stating the Emperor grew in strength between the PT & OT? Empty Is there anything in Disney Canon explicitly stating the Emperor grew in strength between the PT & OT?

May 8th 2020, 3:43 pm
I ask this question because, on a separate forum, posters were debating who would win between Mace & RotJ Luke using Canon feats only. Some were saying Mace due to the fact that he bested Palps while as Luke was defenseless against him. Others were saying that the comparison does not work because of the fact that: since Vader was still weaker than the Emperor by RotJ (but has been explicitly shown to be stronger than his pre suit self in Disney Canon), that means the Emperor must be stronger in RotJ than in RotS. This thought process made me ask the title question: is there any piece of media that states he grew stronger? If not then couldn't one make the simple argument that pre suit Vader was not as close to Palpatine in Disney CanonĀ  as George Lucas originally intended?
Rohirrim
Rohirrim

Is there anything in Disney Canon explicitly stating the Emperor grew in strength between the PT & OT? Empty Re: Is there anything in Disney Canon explicitly stating the Emperor grew in strength between the PT & OT?

May 8th 2020, 6:21 pm
Off the top of my head, I can't recall anything explicit. However, the RoS novelization states through Leia's POV that her connection to the Force had naturally grown stronger as she got older, so that may be the implied standard for Force sensitives:

"Besides, there was something about growing old that made her connection with the Force even stronger. When the body began to fail, the mind reached out, unencumbered by physical ability."
-The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition.

There's also the fact that the Emperor was developing new abilities (like essence transfer) and expanding on his knowledge of the dark side of the Force. So even though you can tell that he got physically weaker (he walks with a stick in RotJ), I think it's likely that he did become stronger in the Force.

As for pre-suit Vader not being that close to Palpatine, IMO it's self-evident given that Obi-Wan matched his TK.
Galan007
Galan007

Is there anything in Disney Canon explicitly stating the Emperor grew in strength between the PT & OT? Empty Re: Is there anything in Disney Canon explicitly stating the Emperor grew in strength between the PT & OT?

May 8th 2020, 6:51 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
It was also heavily implied that Palpatine was hoarding knowledge over the years in his quest for universal dominance(some of which included the entirety of the Jedi Temple archives/artifacts.) And considering his own potential, that alone would warrant a significant increase in power.

Moreover, an argument could be made that prime Vader may have been on par with RotS Palpatine, given the feats/accolades he's racked up in canon, in addition to the fact that his injuries/armor did not gimp his power or potential at all(in fact, they only made him more powerful than ever)... Yet by the time of ESB, Vader still felt that he would need Luke's help to defeat Palpatine.

Imo:
RotJ Palpatine > prime Vader ~ RotS Palpatine > RotS Anakin

I know a lot of people don't necessarily agree with that scaling/tiering... It's just it's just my two cents.
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

May 9th 2020, 11:12 am
Galan007 wrote:It was also heavily implied that Palpatine was hoarding knowledge over the years in his quest for universal dominance(some of which included the entirety of the Jedi Temple archives/artifacts.) And considering his own potential, that alone would warrant a significant increase in power.

Moreover, an argument could be made that prime Vader may have been on par with RotS Palpatine, given the feats/accolades he's racked up in canon, in addition to the fact that his injuries/armor did not gimp his power or potential at all(in fact, they only made him more powerful than ever)... Yet by the time of ESB, Vader still felt that he would need Luke's help to defeat Palpatine.

Imo:

I know a lot of people don't necessarily agree with that scaling/tiering... It's just it's just my two cents.
that scaling makes more sense especially when you consider all the hype suited vader have on canon so have him parry with rots sidious is kinda ok.
Underachiever599
Underachiever599

May 9th 2020, 2:45 pm
Galan007 wrote:It was also heavily implied that Palpatine was hoarding knowledge over the years in his quest for universal dominance(some of which included the entirety of the Jedi Temple archives/artifacts.) And considering his own potential, that alone would warrant a significant increase in power.

Imo:

I've actually always been behind that scaling, personally. It's just the most logical scaling I can think of.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum