Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Jedi_Jesus
Jedi_Jesus

Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber? Empty Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber?

May 2nd 2020, 11:15 am
We see A projection of Lukes power in TLJ casually dodge all of kylos slashes and blitz attempts. Is there any actual evidence hes just not ridiculously powerful and can just outpace his opponents?
Seturna
Seturna
Level One
Level One

Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber? Empty Re: Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber?

May 2nd 2020, 11:25 am
Message reputation : 100% (4 votes)
No.
DarthAdi
DarthAdi

Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber? Empty Re: Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber?

May 2nd 2020, 12:00 pm
Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)
Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber? 7262699-kyloskills
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

May 2nd 2020, 12:42 pm
^ On top of this, he's fought and defeated Jedi in combat pre-prime:

Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber? Rco00612 Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber? Rco01214 Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber? Rco01312 Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber? Rco01111 Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber? Rco01215

And he's defeated Praetorian Guards:

Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber? WeeklyFatherlyIrishwolfhound-max-1mb Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber? MasculineFluidDikkops-max-1mb

He's no prodigy, but he's pretty good. Probably mid to high Jedi knight tier in skill so far, but that can change the more we see of him. 
Rohirrim
Rohirrim

May 2nd 2020, 1:20 pm
How good one is with a lightsaber highly correlates to Force power. It is no coincidence that all the top duelists (Yoda, Sidious, Mace, Vader...) are also the most powerful Force users. That's not to say that greater power always means greater swordsmanship (after all, characters do have different natural strengths and weaknesses), but if you rank most known characters by their power and by their proficiency with a lightsaber, the two lists would be very similar. Moreover, think of how Kanan went from getting clowned by the Grand Inquisitor to soundly defeat him just by letting go of his fears; you'll realize the extent to which Force power/attunement can impact a lightsaber fight, regardless of pure technical skills. 

Considering that Kylo Ren received extensive training, and that he is stated to be formidably skilled with a lightsaber "much like" Anakin and Luke (as per the quote @DarthAdi presented), I find it unlikely that there is a large disproportion between his shown power and his dueling ability. Until such disproportion is sufficiently substantiated, I'd personally put him up there with the likes of ROTS Anakin and ROTJ Luke in a combative sense.
Nute_Chethray
Nute_Chethray

May 2nd 2020, 5:48 pm
StarWars.com wrote wrote:"Kylo Ren has a lifetime of training and practice, is one of the most powerful combatants in the history of Star Wars, and is the leader of the Knights of Ren."
TheNuisanceBird
TheNuisanceBird

May 3rd 2020, 3:59 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
He's been said to be competent but we hear more about it than we see. Realistically in universe he should at the very least be average Knight level. 

However going by choreography onscreen he nor Rey aren't even better than the girl I sparred with the other day who got two-shotted Drallig style. Their choreography's really bad. Going by the films the most impressive display visually speaking is during ROS where he suddenly gains a choreography boost and trashes the Knights of Ren although it depends how you scale them. 

Of course as the first on screen emo character he starts self harming halfway through his first on screen lightsaber fight. 

Overall I'm more impressed with his Force showings than anything else. Even his feat of him smashing the wall in the elevator during TLJ is more impressive as a super human feat of strength.
King Joker
King Joker
Level One
Level One

May 3rd 2020, 5:03 pm
Message reputation : 100% (5 votes)
TheNuisanceBird wrote:He's been said to be competent but we hear more about it than we see. Realistically in universe he should at the very least be average Knight level. 

However going by choreography onscreen he nor Rey aren't even better than the girl I sparred with the other day who got two-shotted Drallig style. Their choreography's really bad. Going by the films the most impressive display visually speaking is during ROS where he suddenly gains a choreography boost and trashes the Knights of Ren although it depends how you scale them. 

Of course as the first on screen emo character he starts self harming halfway through his first on screen lightsaber fight. 

Overall I'm more impressed with his Force showings than anything else. Even his feat of him smashing the wall in the elevator during TLJ is more impressive as a super human feat of strength.
Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber? 39c49910
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

May 3rd 2020, 9:43 pm
TheNuisanceBird wrote:He's been said to be competent but we hear more about it than we see. Realistically in universe he should at the very least be average Knight level. 

It's pretty much this yeah..

Ok he defeated the Knights of Ren. ....So what? What have they done exactly in combat other than get trashed by Luke and having a quote of them potentially being Inquisitors(even then, they too vary so what does that quote even matter?).

Ok he defeated Praetorian Guards. Again....so? What have they done other than fight Kylo and Rey? 

Oh he defeated 3 Jedi who he trained with under Luke? Ignoring the fact, that it's blatantly shown that all 3 of them differed vastly and not all of them were combat oriented other than 1. ....What could they do?

Ok he fought these opponents....but they are basically a wall, they themselves are stopped they have only fought Kylo.

Let's put it another way here.

Character A fights against 10 guys, these guys are noted before the fight starts, that they are deadly fighters. Character A whoops them all.

Character B fights against 10 guys, also noted before the fight starts that they are deadly fighters. However, before the fight starts, it shows the 10 guys wrecking multiple other well trained fighters, utilizing grappling, pressure points, throws and generally showcasing their skill. Character B takes them all down in a great fight.

Now look at these two and tell me, which is better in a comparison. Character B, because his opponents didn't stop and all they have going for them is an accolade.

Accolades help sure, but they aren't the end all be all.
TheNuisanceBird
TheNuisanceBird

May 4th 2020, 10:47 am
King Joker wrote:

Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber? 39c49910

What?
TheNuisanceBird
TheNuisanceBird

May 4th 2020, 10:48 am
Zenwolf wrote:Ok he defeated the Knights of Ren. ....So what? What have they done exactly in combat other than get trashed by Luke and having a quote of them potentially being Inquisitors(even then, they too vary so what does that quote even matter?).

Was that referring to them being Inquisitor level or being former members?
Galan007
Galan007

May 4th 2020, 10:59 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
TheNuisanceBird wrote:
Zenwolf wrote:Ok he defeated the Knights of Ren. ....So what? What have they done exactly in combat other than get trashed by Luke and having a quote of them potentially being Inquisitors(even then, they too vary so what does that quote even matter?).

Was that referring to them being Inquisitor level or being former members?
Is there any proof that Kylo ren has actual skill with a lightsaber? DWAXZUT
Nute_Chethray
Nute_Chethray

May 4th 2020, 11:23 am
@Zenwolf at the start of "The Rise Of Kylo Ren" we see the knights defeating a large force of CorSec, and two of them did beat Chewbacca. But yeah I'm disapointed at lack of feats nonetheless
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

May 4th 2020, 12:45 pm
Nute_Chethray wrote:@Zenwolf at the start of "The Rise Of Kylo Ren" we see the knights defeating a large force of CorSec, and two of them did beat Chewbacca. But yeah I'm disapointed at lack of feats nonetheless

Did they really beat Chewbacca or is that just an assumption? Just as well they could have surprised him and taken him down in a method that wasn't direct combat.

Also it was Sector Security, not CorSec.
Nute_Chethray
Nute_Chethray

May 4th 2020, 12:53 pm
Zenwolf wrote:
Nute_Chethray wrote:@Zenwolf at the start of "The Rise Of Kylo Ren" we see the knights defeating a large force of CorSec, and two of them did beat Chewbacca. But yeah I'm disapointed at lack of feats nonetheless

Did they really beat Chewbacca or is that just an assumption? Just as well they could have surprised him and taken him down in a method that wasn't direct combat.

Also it was Sector Security, not CorSec.
Assumption, but seems to be the intent. Sneaking up on a wookiee like chewbacca still would be a solid performance.

Fair, but doesn't make much of a difference
TheNuisanceBird
TheNuisanceBird

May 4th 2020, 6:06 pm
Or since there were a bunch of them Chewbacca could've been surrounded and surrendered.
xmysticgohanx
xmysticgohanx

May 6th 2020, 7:08 pm
I have Ren and Rey in the same level as Dooku, slightly superior to him
TheNuisanceBird
TheNuisanceBird

May 15th 2020, 10:09 am
In terms of sabers or overall? 

I have a hard time seeing Rey > Dooku in sabers.
xmysticgohanx
xmysticgohanx

May 19th 2020, 8:53 pm
Overall
TheNuisanceBird
TheNuisanceBird

May 20th 2020, 7:02 pm
I mean given the stupid sequel scaling I guess you could argue that they're overall more powerful but in terms of sabers I don't see how either of them Rey especially are even close to Dooku.

Even if you put canon Dooku in their shows he'd take apart the throne room guards and the Knights of Ren.
Gianfi
Gianfi

May 25th 2020, 10:21 am
Not much tbh if we go by feats
The Adventurous Jedi
The Adventurous Jedi
Level Seven
Level Seven

May 25th 2020, 10:52 am
Let me reverse the question: is there any proof he doesn't?

Because this:

We see A projection of Lukes power in TLJ casually dodge all of kylos slashes and blitz attempts.

...isn't proof. We have no clue how the projection functions, and even if we generously assume it fights like how Luke normally would, that's a feat for Luke - not an anti-feat for Kylo.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, there isn't a lot we can do to compare Kylo (in technical skill) to characters from other eras, but I don't think the default assumption should be that he's not skilled relative to them (unless evidence for such a claim is provided).
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum