Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

Are Reylo fandom endorsing and promoting toxic relationships? Empty Are Reylo fandom endorsing and promoting toxic relationships?

April 17th 2020, 5:19 pm
Reylo fandom have been scrutinised and criticised for a few reasons, one of these criticisms is they are endorsing and promoting toxic relationships by shipping Reylo. How reasonable and valid is this criticism?
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

Are Reylo fandom endorsing and promoting toxic relationships? Empty Re: Are Reylo fandom endorsing and promoting toxic relationships?

April 17th 2020, 5:30 pm
I mean, I don't really get this relationship. Yeah they had a few moments, but I never took it as anything romantic, never got that vibe at all. But then again, many people will ship characters for just looking at eachother funny. I guess it's toxic in the fact that for a large portion, Kylo was....ya know, trying to either kill Rey or turn her to the darkside, it's only after he came back to the light that it could have been something....but then he died.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

Are Reylo fandom endorsing and promoting toxic relationships? Empty Re: Are Reylo fandom endorsing and promoting toxic relationships?

April 17th 2020, 5:54 pm
Yes. Their whole logic is that Ren didn’t enjoy torturing Rey (fun fact: he didn’t even care what happened to her) and that he didn’t enjoy trying to kill her, therefore their relationship isn’t toxic. Meanwhile, Anakin is pure evil for trying to kill Padmé, Mace and Yoda are evil for judging Anakin, and Luke is evil for trying to kill Ben.
Galan007
Galan007

April 17th 2020, 6:16 pm
Zenwolf wrote:I mean, I don't really get this relationship. Yeah they had a few moments, but I never took it as anything romantic, never got that vibe at all. But then again, many people will ship characters for just looking at eachother funny. I guess it's toxic in the fact that for a large portion, Kylo was....ya know, trying to either kill Rey or turn her to the darkside, it's only after he came back to the light that it could have been something....but then he died.
Agree.

Even the novelization states that Rey kissed Ben out of "gratitude", and not passion/love or whatever. Maybe it would have evolved into something more, but... He died before it ever did, so... /shrug
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

April 17th 2020, 7:15 pm
Galan007 wrote:
Zenwolf wrote:I mean, I don't really get this relationship. Yeah they had a few moments, but I never took it as anything romantic, never got that vibe at all. But then again, many people will ship characters for just looking at eachother funny. I guess it's toxic in the fact that for a large portion, Kylo was....ya know, trying to either kill Rey or turn her to the darkside, it's only after he came back to the light that it could have been something....but then he died.
Agree.

Even the novelization states that Rey kissed Ben out of "gratitude", and not passion/love or whatever. Maybe it would have evolved into something more, but... He died before it ever did, so... /shrug

Speaking of his death, there goes reaching his prime. I can't imagine he capped out already by the time of his death.

A shame that, while Disney has kinda soured me out of new material as far as reading goes and the like. I wouldn't have minded seeing what Ben could have become, out of all the new characters, I do like him. This really only because of the comics, not so much movie wise.

....Of course I guess that isn't saying much, a lot of the new characters that I have seen in my short time with the new I either just don't like or I'm indifferent. So I guess it's more of a 'soft' like, if that makes sense.
Galan007
Galan007

April 17th 2020, 8:13 pm
Zenwolf wrote:Speaking of his death, there goes reaching his prime. I can't imagine he capped out already by the time of his death.

A shame that, while Disney has kinda soured me out of new material as far as reading goes and the like. I wouldn't have minded seeing what Ben could have become, out of all the new characters, I do like him. This really only because of the comics, not so much movie wise.

....Of course I guess that isn't saying much, a lot of the new characters that I have seen in my short time with the new I either just don't like or I'm indifferent. So I guess it's more of a 'soft' like, if that makes sense.
Ben is definitely the best character of the ST, imo.

Even though we'll never get to see what he could have been capable of at full potential(though I'd imagine his potential was still in the Anakin/Luke realm), I would still like to see the years he spent training with Luke fleshed out more... Will probably never happen, but it could really help expand his character/story(and canon Luke's, for that matter.)
The Fallen Warrior
The Fallen Warrior
Level Four
Level Four

April 17th 2020, 9:31 pm
Never read the novel but in my opinion whether intentional or not Kylo clearly had some sexual tension with Rey, though I don't think it was reciprocated.

Though I wouldn't say it was something that could be shipped, I mean seventh sister and Ezra have stupidly obvious and perverted sexual tension in "always two there are" but I'm pretty sure most people can accept that the relationship there would be morally wrong.

So I don't know the question. Are you asking whether they had some type of chemistry? Yeah I got that from the movie, are you asking if it's okay? No that would be at best Stockholm syndrome
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

April 18th 2020, 10:08 am
> Korriban wrote:Never read the novel but in my opinion whether intentional or not Kylo clearly had some sexual tension with Rey, though I don't think it was reciprocated.

Though I wouldn't say it was something that could be shipped, I mean seventh sister and Ezra have stupidly obvious and perverted sexual tension in "always two there are" but I'm pretty sure most people can accept that the relationship there would be morally wrong.

So I don't know the question. Are you asking whether they had some type of chemistry? Yeah I got that from the movie, are you asking if it's okay? No that would be at best Stockholm syndrome

No, the question is not about what kind of chemistry they had; the question is about is the critism that Reylo fandom endorsing and promoting toxic relationships by shippig Kylo and Rey a valid and reasonable criticism or not.
TheNuisanceBird
TheNuisanceBird

April 20th 2020, 4:57 pm
Reylo fans are the worst. I don't get what they see in Rey and Kylo that's romantic.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum