Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

Jedi Dooku vs TPM Maul - Page 3 Empty Re: Jedi Dooku vs TPM Maul

April 1st 2020, 1:20 pm
CuckedCurry wrote:
Latham2000 wrote:I've changed my stance on AotC Yoda and AotC Dooku because I've found this quote a few minutes ago,

"Lightsabers ignited, Count Dooku and Yoda began an epic confrontation. Clearly skill with a lightsaber would not decide the outcome of the duel, and the two combatants exhibited near equal strength in the Force. The duel raged on, noble Jedi pitted against evil Sith, until Dooku threatened the life of the fallen Obi Wan and Anakin, forcing Yoda to abandon the battle to save his allies and allowing Dooku the opportunity to escape." -- Duel With Dooku, Episode 2 Attack of the Clones Diorama.

It's more explicit on how Yoda and Dooku's Force strength stacks up to each other than Lucas's statement tbh.

@BoD @CuckedCurry

Even this source is pretty hit-and-miss. What does “near equal strength in the Force” even mean. Is it referring to their Force reserves? Is it referring to their Force duel in the scene itself and not the bigger picture (to which I would respond to it much the same way as I did with the Lucas quote)? 

The wording is also interesting;  “exhibited” means that the quote refers exclusively to the showings of power which were shown in the fight itself, where Dooku attacks and Yoda only responds by deflecting Dooku’s own power back at him. “Near-equal” obviously means one had a slight advantage and that would be Yoda, which is even more evidence that the actual gap between Dooku and Yoda is much larger than what many believe it to be, as if Yoda holds a slight edge without even throwing a single attack of his own, then one can only imagine just how large the gap would be if Daddy put his hand down.

Thinking face emoji

The "near equal strength in the Force" would be referring to their Force knowledge because Dooku says "It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge in the Force, but by our skills with a lightsaber" which Yoda doesn't make the attempt to refute, but virtually proves Dooku right by joining the lightsaber fight. Knowledge is power.

"Exhibited" in this context, refers to them revealing that they had near equal Force strength in their Force duel. Daddy and Yoda discontinued it, because they knew that it'd be futile given how close they are in Force strength, which is supported by Genndy Tartakovsky saying "Dooku is almost as powerful as Yoda himself,"
CuckedCurry
CuckedCurry
Level Four
Level Four

April 1st 2020, 1:25 pm
🇪🇭
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

April 1st 2020, 1:27 pm
Hey don't blame me, I got that Genndy quote from Jake, who is not a quote forger, as far as I am aware.
CuckedCurry
CuckedCurry
Level Four
Level Four

April 1st 2020, 1:34 pm
The Pepe was in response to you Eugene not the Tartakovsky quote
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

April 1st 2020, 2:08 pm
OT - Dooku kicks Maul's ass.
Jake
Jake
Level One
Level One

April 1st 2020, 5:03 pm
Latham2000 wrote:Hey don't blame me, I got that Genndy quote from Jake, who is not a quote forger, as far as I am aware.

It's from the 2003 Clone Wars Director's Commentary, and you can listen to it (here)
O-Siri
O-Siri

April 1st 2020, 6:41 pm
Latham2000 wrote:RotS Mace as a more mentally disciplined, more masterful,

@O-Siri: I don't think he is.
more experienced and more battle hardened Mace than TPM Mace

@O-Siri: Experience is negligible at this stage in his life. He was already plenty hardened come TPM.
thanks an extra 10 years of Force study and also 3 years of clone wars combat experience. The gap between them should be massive tbh.

@O-Siri: Negligible. There comes a point where everyone reaches a plateau. 

We should also factor in age. Mace was 40 by TPM, which is where most Jedi should be at their overall peak physically and mentally, as was the case in RotS Kenobi. By AotC Mace is 50 and by RotS he's 53. I know we all like to imagine Jedi as ageless LotR elves that only get better and more experienced with time but we all know there are plenty of examples of Force users complaining about the handicaps of age around this point in their life. Even Shatterpoint Mace made note of Vastors advantage in youth over his experience. 
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

April 1st 2020, 7:26 pm
@O-Siri

1. He spent 13 more years improving his mastery of Form VII, which requires great mental discipline.
2. He has experience fighting ruthless and unorthodox duelists like SoD Maul, Ventress and Grievous and Sith Dooku which would hone his skills. He also participated in battles during the clone wars.
3. Fair enough but he's not that much older, he's not a Sith like Vader who prematurely ages because of chronic use of the Dark Side, he's a Jedi who at best flirts with the Dark Side, he's in very good shape for his age. Mace also goes through some hard times during the CW era and survived and we know that in SW and real life that if you go through hard  times, survive and learn something from it on you mentally mature. The Force itself is mental and physical.
O-Siri
O-Siri

April 1st 2020, 9:38 pm
@BoD @Latham2000 wrote:
O-Siri wrote:I don't think there's much difference between TPM Mace and RotS Mace tbh. He might have gotten bit tougher mentally I guess, but he's basically just as skilled and just as wise. Development wise I don't see him getting much better sans the dismissal of his Jedi restraint.
Aside from having 13 years of growth on TPM Mace, ROTS Mace also begin developing and mastering Vaapad, and didn't fully master it until sometime after Shatterpoint. He also had massive emotional and power growth from his TPM iteration. Probably not an exaggeration to say ROTS Mace could lolstomp his TPM counterpart.

1. He spent 13 more years improving his mastery of Form VII, which requires great mental discipline.
2. He has experience fighting ruthless and unorthodox duelists like SoD Maul, Ventress and Grievous and Sith Dooku which would hone his skills. He also participated in battles during the clone wars.
3. Fair enough but he's not that much older, he's not a Sith like Vader who prematurely ages because of chronic use of the Dark Side, he's a Jedi who at best flirts with the Dark Side, he's in very good shape for his age. Mace also goes through some hard times during the CW era and survived and we know that in SW and real life that if you go through hard  times, survive and learn something from it on you mentally mature. The Force itself is mental and physical.
Mace had already mastered Vaapad to the point he could teach it to Depa who herself mastered it well before TPM. The only further development he made was him releasing his Jedi restraint something he was reluctant to do even after Shatterpoint. 

Not everyone gets better with age particularly after 40 when you've been a Council member since 28 and master of the order before TPM. Mace likely already completed the most important stages of his development in his adult life.

He fought thoses guys for about five seconds apiece. Hardly something that would raise his skills a full class. He thrashed Viana pre-TPM, a bounty hunter who gave CW Kenobi a good fight. His skills were already a huge leap above everyone else.

I'm not saying he was weaker overall with age to be clear. He's probably roughly the same guy. Just as skilled just as knowledgeable just as tough. The point I wanted to emphasis is that Force users don't just get more experienced and more knowledgeable with age. There's a compromise. Jinn was roughly the same age as RotS  Mace in the JA series lived a clean lifestyle and he was already slowing down. He didn't get better with time.

The Force is mental but mental strength is tied to physicals. The best chess players in the world were at their peak in their early twenties because prolonged intense concentration is very physically demanding.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum