Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

How large is the gap between Darish Vol and Luke Skywalker?  Empty How large is the gap between Darish Vol and Luke Skywalker?

January 28th 2020, 9:40 am
Darish Vol is bound to Luke Skywalker  by the famous “much of Luke’s power” quote. But how large do you think that gap is? Or else, do you think there is a way to quantify it?
lorenzo.r.2nd
lorenzo.r.2nd
Level Three
Level Three

How large is the gap between Darish Vol and Luke Skywalker?  Empty Re: How large is the gap between Darish Vol and Luke Skywalker?

January 28th 2020, 10:26 am
much of luke's power could be more than 50%, as far as i can tell. thats my imo
Shioz
Shioz

How large is the gap between Darish Vol and Luke Skywalker?  Empty Re: How large is the gap between Darish Vol and Luke Skywalker?

January 29th 2020, 4:06 am
Any attempts to calculate the percentage gap and compare with the quote about Vader/Sidious are stupid. Abeloth only says that Vol is close to the power of Skywalker (the reason Vol was able to give her a fight), and the context implies only that.
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

January 29th 2020, 5:10 am
Shioz wrote:Any attempts to calculate the percentage gap and compare with the quote about Vader/Sidious are stupid.
That was not the intent of this thread. I completely agree that using a numerical scale on some as “mysterious” as the force isn’t exactly the best idea. However, I think we can compare the two in other ways (Vol is stated to be potentially capable of one-shotting Workan, for example) and use other, more well known gaps in SW ( e.g. Yoda and Dooku), which would be akin to their probable standing  in comparison to one another. 

Shioz wrote:Abeloth only says that Vol is close to the power of Skywalker (the reason Vol was able to give her a fight), and the context implies only that.

That seems to be the most logical interpretation, however we know for a fact that Abeloth is significantly more powerful than Luke, and that Vol’s ability to compete came with experience/an unorthodox ability as well, so I’m not sure Vol is even remotely a threat under normal circumstances, their TP fight notwithstanding. What Abeloth might be saying here is that Vol is a lot closer to Luke than anybody she has ever faced (most of her previous opponents, barring Luke, weren’t really powerhouses) but that doesn’t mean that he was actually very close.
Shioz
Shioz

January 29th 2020, 8:59 am
I mean, something like "more than 50%" does not apply to this situation. In addition, in other topics, I have seen similar thoughts and attempts to compare the gap between Luke and Vol with the gap between Sidious and Vader using a dubious interpretation of this quote. I agree that your proposed comparison methods are possible.

I think it is fair to take into account the unorthodox abilities of the characters when assessing their overall level of combat abilities. Abelot says “Vol had much of the power of Skywalker,” rather than comparing his power with Luke and all the characters she had fought before, so I am of the opinion that her words speak of Vol being close to Luke in the Force. It's not that hard to believe, given Vol's reputation and the fact that he could have easily killed Workan, which you mentioned.
lorenzo.r.2nd
lorenzo.r.2nd
Level Three
Level Three

January 29th 2020, 10:05 am
Shioz wrote:I mean, something like "more than 50%" does not apply to this situation. In addition, in other topics, I have seen similar thoughts and attempts to compare the gap between Luke and Vol with the gap between Sidious and Vader using a dubious interpretation of this quote. I agree that your proposed comparison methods are possible.

I think it is fair to take into account the unorthodox abilities of the characters when assessing their overall level of combat abilities. Abelot says “Vol had much of the power of Skywalker,” rather than comparing his power with Luke and all the characters she had fought before, so I am of the opinion that her words speak of Vol being close to Luke in the Force. It's not that hard to believe, given Vol's reputation and the fact that he could have easily killed Workan, which you mentioned.
u know what half of something is?
Corvinus
Corvinus

January 29th 2020, 5:50 pm
Indefinable but large enough that it's not "Vol was near the equal of Skywalker".
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

January 30th 2020, 4:55 am
Shioz wrote:I mean, something like "more than 50%" does not apply to this situation. In addition, in other topics, I have seen similar thoughts and attempts to compare the gap between Luke and Vol with the gap between Sidious and Vader using a dubious interpretation of this quote. I agree that your proposed comparison methods are possible.

How large is the gap between Darish Vol and Luke Skywalker?  1289255181

Shioz wrote:think it is fair to take into account the unorthodox abilities of the characters when assessing their overall level of combat abilities. Abelot says “Vol had much of the power of Skywalker,” rather than comparing his power with Luke and all the characters she had fought before, so I am of the opinion that her words speak of Vol being close to Luke in the Force. It's not that hard to believe, given Vol's reputation and the fact that he could have easily killed Workan, which you mentioned.

Well, Abeloth doesn't directly mention all the other opponents she faced beforehand, but that doesn't mean this idea cannot be pursued. As i already mentioned, Abeloth is aware of just how much more powerful than most people Luke is. I think this comparison comes down to the fact that Abeloth, in this case, met some resistance by an opponent whose power was closer to Luke than most, but not necessarely close, as it would make sense for even small gaps to be fairly noticeable at that level of power. But ultimately, That's how i see it. 
Gaunter O'Dimm
Gaunter O'Dimm

February 5th 2020, 10:33 am
Since less powerful memebers of the Tribe (Gaalan and Workan) were able to contend (however briefly) with Luke, it's reasonable to assume that Vol is actually pretty close to Luke.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum