Suspect Insight Forums

Go down
Praxis
Praxis

Who will win the Democratic nomination? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will win the Democratic nomination?

on August 26th 2019, 10:31 pm
Monmouth (polling institute with the most accurate prediction of the 2016 Dem primary) just released their new polling stats.

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_US_082619/

Who will win the Democratic nomination? - Page 2 VU6WfDP

Down from 32% to 19%. Rip Biden.
LSDMB
LSDMB

Who will win the Democratic nomination? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will win the Democratic nomination?

on August 26th 2019, 10:57 pm
Not sure if I should be rooting for a crazy so that they'd have more of a chance of losing the general, or a moderate out of fear of a crazy winning the general.
The Ellimist
The Ellimist

on August 28th 2019, 11:21 am
FWIW, Elizabeth Warren seems to be the most skilled and knowledgable policymaker in a conventional sense, with Andrew Yang having expertise advantages and insight in specific areas. Bernie Sanders doesn't seem to be as academic as Warren, but can credibly say that he's been talking about these things for a long time and others seem to be emulating him (whether this is a good or bad thing would depend on whether you agree with the Warren/Sanders-esque platform). Joe Biden seems to have the most "conventional" Obama-era platform (of the major contenders), which had historically been the safest pick from an electoral standpoint, but IDK if that's true anymore.
LSDMB
LSDMB

on August 28th 2019, 11:32 am
I have to say though, Yang's UBI thing seems kinda dumb. Just giving people $1000 a month. If me and my roommates got that, we could literally not work and still have a roughly similar amount of money to live off of that we do now. And we aren't struggling. Seems like a very easy system to abuse because I know how I could abuse the absolute fuck out of it if it were a thing.

I am very happy that Kamala is getting slapped upside the head, there's almost nothing I like about her. Given some of her criminal justice record, I can't really trust her on one of the few areas that almost every democrat has an edge over the Trump admin for me, I don't trust her with things like prison reform or weed. She also seems to be doing that harder left economic pandering, and the identity politics pandering. To top it off she has the charisma black hole feeling of Hillary Clinton, just feels kinda plastic and manufactured. I may not agree with some of the other candidates but they seem more sincere about their concerns where Kamala feels more like a career opportunist in this regard.

With other democrat candidates, you could say some of them are at least somewhat honest and sincere (like Bernie despite my disagreement of him), you could say others are more moderate, you could say others don't pull the identity politics bullshit as much (like Bernie), you could say I could honestly trust them with weed legalization and criminal justice reform. With someone like Beto he seems to at least have some economic policy that maintains a friendly environment for business (at least when he was running for senator in Texas he wasn't a fan of raising corporate tax rates, haven't kept up too much with him since then, its possible he's shifted to pander to the national base rather than try and be electable in Texas but idk), with someone like Buttigeig he's one of the few who actually supports free trade which has been one of my main policy criticisms of the Trump admin. With Kamala though there is almost nothing about her that appeals to me on any level.
King Joker
King Joker

on August 28th 2019, 6:26 pm
@Praxis: Seems to be an outlier; most polls released after Monmouth have Biden still in the early 30s. The sample is quite small, as well. 

Quinnipiac University released a new poll this morning showing Biden with a healthy lead:

1. Biden - 32%
2. Warren - 19%
3. Sanders - 15%
4. Harris - 7%
5. Buttigieg - 5%
6. Yang - 3%

-----

The Democrats are also trouncing Trump in G.E. matchups: 

1. Biden (54%) vs. Trump (38%)
2. Sanders (53%) vs. Trump (39%)
3. Warren (52%) vs. Trump (40%)
4. Harris (51%) vs. Trump (40%)
5. Buttigieg (49%) vs. Trump (40%)
Praxis
Praxis

on August 28th 2019, 9:16 pm
@King Joker Yeah I was being a bit hyperbolic but I think its important to note the downwards trend of Biden is supported by something that is highly credible even if it is a relative outlier. He's still probably going to win unless something extraordinary happens.
Blade_of_Dorin
Blade_of_Dorin
Level One
Level One

on August 28th 2019, 10:51 pm
TrUmP iS rAcIsT
King Joker
King Joker

on August 28th 2019, 11:07 pm
Has somebody in this thread... touched a nerve of yours, @Blade_of_DorinWho will win the Democratic nomination? - Page 2 3344068304
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Two
Level Two

on August 28th 2019, 11:37 pm
Trump is a racist and that's a fact, lol.
Blade_of_Dorin
Blade_of_Dorin
Level One
Level One

on August 29th 2019, 6:22 pm
@HellfireUnit wrote:Trump is a racist and that's a fact, lol.
Care to share these facts?
Blade_of_Dorin
Blade_of_Dorin
Level One
Level One

on September 6th 2019, 7:48 pm
@Blade_of_Dorin wrote:
The Ellimist
The Ellimist

on September 7th 2019, 8:46 am
Warren's dismissing of nuclear power makes me lose respect for her, tbh.
King Joker
King Joker

on September 7th 2019, 4:48 pm
Agreed, tbh. Her answer was really disappointing.
LSDMB
LSDMB

on September 7th 2019, 5:37 pm
If someone told the democrats or Trump to do specific things in this election cycle and they listened and followed through on it they would probably beat the other side.

It's kinda comical and kinda upsetting how everyone in this election cycle (Trump and the 2020 dems) is their own worst enemy, constantly stepping on their own feet. A race to the bottom like in 2016.
Blade_of_Dorin
Blade_of_Dorin
Level One
Level One

on September 13th 2019, 5:44 am
Hurricane_of_Dorian wrote:
@Blade_of_Dorin wrote:
ILS
ILS
VIP Member
VIP Member

on September 13th 2019, 7:20 pm
The human race if the place is carpet bombed
LSDMB
LSDMB

on September 13th 2019, 10:14 pm
@ILS wrote:The human race if the place is carpet bombed
LMFAO, best response to this thread I could've imagined.
King Joker
King Joker

on September 25th 2019, 3:29 pm
I believe this  is the first national poll without Biden either tied for first or first. Warren with 27, Biden with 25, Bernie with 16. 

Then we have Warren overtaking  the field in Iowa and catching up  in New Hampshire (with some of the recent polls having her lead). 

Warren may finally dethrone Biden as the front runner in the coming weeks.
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Two
Level Two

on September 25th 2019, 3:40 pm
It appears Sanders is on a downhill. Either way, it is time for that old fella to stop.
King Joker
King Joker

on September 25th 2019, 3:56 pm
You know the Sanders camp is flailing when the only counterargument against Warren they can cough up is “She was a Republican in the 1990s!!11!!” lmfao
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Two
Level Two

on September 25th 2019, 4:00 pm
By the way thanks for the sources provided above. Who do you think will win the general elections?
King Joker
King Joker

on September 25th 2019, 4:09 pm
No problem. And I think Republicans will lose the White House, fail to take the House, and keep the Senate. Trump is simply too unpopular and I can’t imagine the Democratic nominee facing the same level of vitriol that Hillary faced.
LSDMB
LSDMB

on September 25th 2019, 7:10 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
@King Joker wrote:I believe this  is the first national poll without Biden either tied for first or first. Warren with 27, Biden with 25, Bernie with 16. 

Then we have Warren overtaking  the field in Iowa and catching up  in New Hampshire (with some of the recent polls having her lead). 

Warren may finally dethrone Biden as the front runner in the coming weeks.
Damn that sucks. I'm actually rooting for Biden at this point tbh, as the most moderate among the big three.

He definitely seems the most moderate economically, if the most recent debate is anything to go by.

They all suck when they start talking about confiscating guns, but at least Biden was like, "What the fuck are you talking about?" when Kamala expressed her desire to use executive orders to push through her gun agenda if congress wouldn't obey her.

They also all suck on abortion from my perspective, but at least Biden, unlike Warren, seemed somewhat reluctant to hop on board with overturning the Hyde amendment (I mean shit, if abortion is supposed to be a "choice", then at least don't make me fucking pay for it). Biden seemed to hop on board for electoral reasons, whereas Warren seems fervently behind it. Then don't even get me started on Bernie, who wants to overturn the Mexico city agreement so America can send taxpayer money to fund abortions in other countries.

Also on Climate Change, Biden IIRC supported more research into nuclear power, while Bernie and Warren were like "NO NO NUCLEAR! GET RID OF NUCLEAR!"

Then of course there's Kavanaugh. After the New York Time's recent absurd Kavanaugh allegation with zero evidence (where apparently he had his dick out, and some dude grabbed his cock and dragged it over and shoved it into a woman's hand? Dafuq?!), Biden was the only one of the democrat frontrunners to not start autistically screeching about impeaching Kavanaugh. Then when the NYT story being fake news was gradually more and more revealed (first that the alleged "victim" of Kavanaugh's penis being shoved into her hand denies any memory of the supposed incident, then that that detail was originally in the article but got edited out, and then that though they had referred to the accuser as just some guy with a nonprofit they failed to mention he was a lawyer for the Clintons), to my knowledge neither Bernie or Warren walked back their ridiculous desire for Kavanaugh's impeachment after the story fell apart.

Biden is the only frontrunning candidate that I can actually take seriously as some kinda vague moderate at this point, and so I'm honestly rooting for him over Warren and Bernie at this point.
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

on September 25th 2019, 10:17 pm
I also kind of like Biden, so I would much rather see Trump trash Sanders or Warren in the general election.
IG
IG
Level Two
Level Two

on September 25th 2019, 10:26 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Frankly, I just don't want Warren or Sanders to win. Never been a Trump fan despite my Republican bias
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum