Suspect Insight Forums

Go down
DC77 (Reborn)
DC77 (Reborn)
Level Five
Level Five

Politics Empty Politics

on Sun 21 Apr - 12:50
For anybody who wants to discuss anything political.
Haggis
Haggis

Politics Empty Re: Politics

on Mon 22 Apr - 17:40
Surprised this thread hasn't kicked off considering I know quite a few people on here have strong political convictions. Politics 3948126588
Sas
Sas

on Mon 22 Apr - 21:28
You shouldn't be. Starting a thread simply entitled "politics" for anyone who wants to talk about politics is like starting a thread entitled "Star Wars" for anyone who wants to talk about Star Wars. It's too general to really provoke discussion.
Trayvon
Trayvon

on Mon 22 Apr - 21:29
A basic, centrist egalitarian here, can't we all just get along?
Sas
Sas

on Mon 22 Apr - 21:42
That sounds awfully boring.
Haggis
Haggis

on Tue 23 Apr - 12:35
Rolls up in rainbow coloured Police car Gotta a license for that speech, chief?!
DC77 (Reborn)
DC77 (Reborn)
Level Five
Level Five

on Tue 23 Apr - 13:03
SithSauce
SithSauce

on Mon 29 Apr - 13:04
@Jake RealistRacism/Fairtrade is that u?
LSDMB
LSDMB

on Mon 29 Apr - 20:22
Okay so like where does everyone land politically?

I'll start off, I'm a very classical liberal, libertarian-esque person, I believe the role of government is the protection of the life liberty and property of its citizens and the maintenance of public property, I'm a huge fan of John Locke. I recognize that government fundamentally is a form of controlled violence and theft, and that basically everything it does is tied into those things, and am thus reluctant to extend the role of government beyond the limits of reasons by which I could personally find violence justifiable.

I believe freedom of speech is of paramount importance, I believe largely in the free market with a very limited level of government involvement (such as the enforcement of contracts, and some regulations to protect people from externalities, though those tend to fly out of control), am very much against redistributive policy and the idea that we can just tax the shit out of the rich to pay for whatever we want. War on drugs... massive failure.

Fundamentally I am also an individualist, interested in holding people to the standards of their own character and merit, I do not give a shit what race or sex you are, I hate identity politics whether it's the alt-right talking about some white purity white nationalist shit, or the "progressive" left talking about intersectionality and how we need to treat people differently on the basis of their identity to fight bigotry.

I'm a huge fan of how the system of american government was set up with its varying checks and balances and separation of powers, with elected legislative and executive branches to be responsive to the needs of the people, and an appointed judicial branch free to act on principle rather than by pandering to an electorate or corporate lobbyists. My only serious grievance is that I wish the Bill of Rights had been a bit more beefed up with more protections for the liberty and property of citizens from the encroachments of the state, and more checks against the ever increasing size of the state.

I think the mainstream media is deeply flawed, and though I am a huge proponent of press freedom, I find it annoying how the media uses the guise of freedom of the press not only to shield themselves from government encroachment (which I think is deeply important and justified), but to shield themselves from criticism that does not carry behind it the weight or threat of law. They are an institution that exists to hold power to account, but they are also a power in and of themselves, and they deserve to be criticized and held to account in the same manner that the people they criticize do.

I also think our prison systems are inhumane, if you are going to take from a person their liberty and confine them under purview you better damn well be responsible for their safety while they're in your custody.

But yeah, rant over with, that's basically a brief overview of my political views.
Trayvon
Trayvon

on Mon 29 Apr - 22:16
@SithSauce wrote:@Jake RealistRacism/Fairtrade is that u?

Who dis
Valkorion
Valkorion

on Tue 30 Apr - 10:45
science = good
happiness = good
ideologues = bad
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

on Tue 30 Apr - 11:27

Rogan made "Adam Ruins Everything" look like a total tool.
LSDMB
LSDMB

on Tue 30 Apr - 15:41
Oh yeah I saw that, Rogan smacked him upside the head with FACTS and LOGIC
Meatpants
Meatpants

on Tue 30 Apr - 16:10
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

on Tue 30 Apr - 17:01
Politics Neo-li10
Meatpants
Meatpants

on Tue 30 Apr - 17:13
@DarthAnt66

We're pretty similar. Interesting.
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

on Tue 30 Apr - 17:14
Politics Trump_10
King Joker
King Joker

on Wed 1 May - 22:12
Politics Downlo10

Politics Img_9710

Politics Img_9711

Politics Img_9712

Politics Img_9713
Haggis
Haggis

on Thu 2 May - 15:28
Hope you like bread lines, Comrade!
Isv
Isv
Level One
Level One

on Thu 2 May - 15:44
I prefer a nice empire. Whoever runs it doesn't matter. As long as I am the iron fist I get a leather armormesh suit and a breathing apparatus im all good.
DarthSkywalker0
DarthSkywalker0
VIP Member
VIP Member

on Fri 3 May - 23:04

Debate me.
Isv
Isv
Level One
Level One

on Sat 4 May - 0:31
Joker is a cool dude, like I said though I am more dictatorship Monarchy enforcement type government oh well, to each their own... UNLESS THE EMPEROR DISAGREES
SithSauce
SithSauce

on Sat 4 May - 4:35
But what about the droid attack on the wookies?
Trayvon
Trayvon

on Sat 4 May - 22:58
Politics Screen11
LSDMB
LSDMB

on Sun 5 May - 2:32
Part of my own grievance is that I believe the excesses of human behavior have their serious consequences.

My conviction as to what society should be is one such that government owes the individual their liberty, and the individual owes society their responsibility, something of a harmony of both the individual and society properly honoring each other. This would manifest in the form of a minuscule government that properly respects the boundaries of people's right to their own life, liberty and property, and at the same time an ethically grounded culture, a social fabric if you will, that values civic virtue and the idea that meaning in life is to be found through responsibility.

My issue with a lot of modern politics is that it seems that we're heading increasingly towards a libertine, almost hedonistic, do whatever the fuck you want culture, no one has any reason to ethically expect anything supportive from you of your own volition, let's just fucking party, type situation, and that the government is being increasingly relied on to circumscribe the excesses of such behavior. And the more the government encroaches across people's boundaries to do so, the less inclined they are to voluntarily do so, and it's some kind of weird shit. In such a situation, society doesn't grant the individual their liberty, and the individual doesn't grant society their responsibility.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum