Suspect Insight Forums
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Two
Level Two

Gollum/Smeagol Respect Thread Empty Gollum/Smeagol Respect Thread

on September 11th 2020, 9:55 am
Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)
Gollum/Smeagol is a well known character from JRR Tolkien's Middle Earth, most prominently appearing in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, the former of which he played a small role in Riddles in the Dark with Bilbo Baggins and lost the riddles game and the Ring, the latter he played a much larger role in that was crucial to the survival and victory of The Free Peoples of Middle Earth in the War of the Ring. Despite being off putting and villainous in nature, Gollum, perhaps better referred to as Smeagol, played a pivotal role in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and deserves being called one of the best characters in those aforementioned stories, so without further ado, let's see how potent this wretched creature truly is:
Gollum/Smeagol Respect Thread E37d7df842908be60e7af2ecee746c4e

Accolades

Whilst conversing with his other self (i.e. Smeagol), Gollum muses that with the power of the One Ring, he could become stronger than the Nazgul:

"No, sweet one. See, my precious: if we has it, then we can escape, even from Him, eh? Perhaps we grows very strong, stronger than Wraiths. Lord Sméagol? Gollum the Great? The Gollum! Eat fish every day, three times a day, fresh from the sea. Most Precious Gollum! Must have it. We wants it, we wants it, we wants it!" — The Two Towers: Book 4: Chapter 2: The Passage of the Marshes.

Not only does Gollum muse that he could become "stronger than Wraiths" but he also muses that he could become "Lord Smeagol" ... "Gollum the Great" ... "The Gollum!" and will able to "Eat fish every day, three times a day, fresh from the sea" which suggests that Gollum hasn't reached his full potential and that only the One Ring can unlock that potential.

Strength

Although it felt soft (which is easily attributable to Gollum's skin being tainted by poor hygiene), Gollum's grip over Samwise Gamee, is described as "horribly strong" and he squeezed Sam "like slowly tightening cords" during their first clash:

"Before Sam could get a hold, long legs and arms were wound round him pinning his arms, and a clinging grip, soft but horribly strong, was squeezing him like slowly tightening cords; clammy fingers were feeling for his throat." — The Two Towers: Book 4, Chapter 1: The Taming of Sméagol.

Speed

Samwise Gamgeee finds that an Gollum was "more than bargained before" despite Gollum "suddenly" being caught "off his guard off his fall" by Sam's surprise attack, and Gollum displays enough fast reaction to grab hold of Sam "before Sam could get a hold" of Gollum, indicating that Gollum is faster than Sam because Sam had the element of surprise in that he launched an unexpected attack on an unsuspecting Gollum that caught him off guard:

"Sam was out of his hiding in a flash and crossed the space between him and the cliff-doot in a couple of leaps. Before Gollum could get up, he was on top of him. But he found Gollum more than he bargained before, even taken like that, suddenly, off his guard off his fall. Before Sam could get a hold, long legs and arms were wound round him pinning his arms, and a clinging grip, soft but horribly strong, was squeezing him like slowly tightening cords; clammy fingers were feeling for his throat." — The Two Towers: Book 4, Chapter 1: The Taming of Sméagol.

Durability

Gollum shrugs off getting head butted by Samwise Gamgee:

"Then sharp teeth bit into his shoulder. All he could do was butt his hard round head sideways into the creature's face. Gollum hissed and spat, but he did not let go." — The Two Towers: Book 4, Chapter 1: The Taming of Sméagol.

Will add more when I finally get time to rewatch all the movies and re-read all the books. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Latham2000 on September 12th 2020, 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thrawn
Thrawn

Gollum/Smeagol Respect Thread Empty Re: Gollum/Smeagol Respect Thread

on September 11th 2020, 9:44 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Never thought I'd see a Gollum respect thread. 

Very nice. I would caution against mixing the two mediums though. 

I'd pick the books or movies and stick with one. 

Incidentally initial conception of Gollum was quite different. Read the annotated Hobbit if you get a chance. 

Gollum notably different.
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Two
Level Two

on September 12th 2020, 2:56 pm
@Thrawn wrote:Never thought I'd see a Gollum respect thread. 

Very nice. I would caution against mixing the two mediums though. 

I'd pick the books or movies and stick with one.

Thanks. I was surprised to never see one when I used Google. I was thinking of using feats from Peter Jackson's movies whilst also citing the books, but then decided to stick with the books because the thread would just be too convoluted. This thread was originally meant to be a joke thread because well... Gollum would pretty much be considered fodder in the grand scheme of things. But I changed my mind by deciding to cite whatever feats I can still remember at the top of my head, which are only a few because it's been roughly 6 years since I last read LotR.

@Thrawn wrote:Incidentally initial conception of Gollum was quite different. Read the annotated Hobbit if you get a chance. 

Gollum notably different.

I'm glad you brought this up, because I wasn't always aware about the initial conception of Gollum until I was reading Tolkien's commentary about it in my massive copy of The Lord of the Rings, which composed of Tolkien's commentary of the Hobbit revision to FotR to RotK to the Appendices to timelines, and then I read more about it on lotr.fandom.com and then I also read both versions of Riddles in the Dark on this useful page: http://www.ringgame.net/riddles.html

Gollum's characterization in the original published version of The Hobbit was a lot more friendly and straightforward, whereas his characterization is much more dark and sinister in the revised edition. Turns out that the original version of Riddles in the Dark was, as Tolkien explained, a lie that Bilbo made up, whereas the revised version of Riddles in the Dark was what actually happened. Tolkien retconned the original version Riddles in the Dark as a lie so that he could rewrite the entire chapter to make The Hobbit conform with The Lord of the Rings and his evolving vision for Middle Earth. Very interesting stuff.
ReaperAce
ReaperAce

on September 25th 2020, 9:45 am
Incoming "Gollum one-shots", "Gollum wankers" and "Gollum lowballers" in Versus Series around the forums.

Very nice respect thread overall.
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Two
Level Two

on September 26th 2020, 12:31 pm
@ReaperAce wrote:Incoming "Gollum one-shots", "Gollum wankers" and "Gollum lowballers" in Versus Series around the forums.

Gollum/Smeagol Respect Thread 2266747095

@ReaperAce wrote:Very nice respect thread overall.

Thanks!
TheSwordMaster
TheSwordMaster

on September 29th 2020, 6:42 pm
Most likely fish buster tier if we highballed Gollum
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Two
Level Two

on October 1st 2020, 8:09 am
@TheSwordMaster wrote:Most likely fish buster tier if we highballed Gollum

Gollum/Smeagol Respect Thread 2265358366

Oh come on, you know that we don't have to high ball Gollum for him to be a fish buster. Gollum would be hunting Sharks to extinction if he wasn't busy searching for the ring Gollum/Smeagol Respect Thread 3037424776
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum