Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Seturna
Seturna
Level One
Level One

Qui Gon Jinn and TPM Kenobi vs TPM Maul rematch Empty Qui Gon Jinn and TPM Kenobi vs TPM Maul rematch

September 4th 2020, 9:23 am
Would the duo be able to beat Maul on neutral ground?
LOTL

Qui Gon Jinn and TPM Kenobi vs TPM Maul rematch Empty Re: Qui Gon Jinn and TPM Kenobi vs TPM Maul rematch

September 4th 2020, 9:43 am
All three of them are basically equal, with Maul having the edge over the Jedi. Without any way for Maul to separate them and having access to an open, free environment, they certainly win
HeartoftheForce
HeartoftheForce
Level Two
Level Two

Qui Gon Jinn and TPM Kenobi vs TPM Maul rematch Empty Re: Qui Gon Jinn and TPM Kenobi vs TPM Maul rematch

September 4th 2020, 10:00 am
LOTL wrote:All three of them are basically equal, with Maul having the edge over the Jedi. Without any way for Maul to separate them and having access to an open, free environment, they certainly win
MP
Moderator | Champion of Darkness

September 4th 2020, 12:49 pm
Yeah, sources heavily imply that Maul was going to lose the duel if he was unable to separate the two.
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

September 4th 2020, 1:35 pm
Jinn dies again, that's for sure
MP

September 17th 2020, 8:27 am
HellfireUnit wrote:Jinn dies again, that's for sure

Back that up?
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

September 17th 2020, 1:08 pm
Maul might struggle to kill them combined, but the duo's faring even worse trying to kill him. Sources generally support either a deadlock or Maul's performing better. In the long run, Jinn and Kenobi should deplete their Force reserves before Maul does. He could tire them out then kill them eventually.
MP

September 17th 2020, 1:29 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
@DarthAnt66

DarthAnt66 wrote:Maul might struggle to kill them combined, but the duo's faring even worse trying to kill him. Sources generally support either a deadlock or Maul's performing better. In the long run, Jinn and Kenobi should deplete their Force reserves before Maul does. He could tire them out then kill them eventually.

Don't agree. For one, it takes Maul 40 seconds per the film to get to a point where he's almost killed Qui-Gon on Tatooine. We know from Rule of Two that lightsaber duels rarely ever last a minute, especially with the energy expenditure of Ataru. Both Qui-Gon and Maul were using acrobatics extensively during the duel per the script. Qui-Gon matches Maul blow for blow and puts him on the defensive. Maul even notes that Jinn almost kills him several times, and that Qui-Gon is "too good" and can't slash past his guard. So Maul isn't that much better than Qui-Gon to begin with.

On the idea that the sources general point towards an eventual victory for Maul, I beg to differ.

Qui Gon Jinn and TPM Kenobi vs TPM Maul rematch EkMuGCTqugh1eAlxVeynAlWd8JjJ8GgUPpbALFnBkVPlez7t9tUk0JYTVGvLh-32ZImDB2PEGB4jvKVaTrUimtZuRQ97gG1gths4ujeH1-18bjJwWxqLPGVFbQKPWx7nUAvKQazM

Starships & Vehicles Collection #21 wrote:Darth Maul knew that if he was not successful in dividing the Jedi there, he could draw them further in.

Star Wars: Episode I Adventures wrote:“As well trained and ruthless as he was… together, Qui-Gon and I could beat him… and the Sith Lord knew it. So he found a way to divide us.”

Jedi vs Sith - The Essential Guide to the Force wrote:“He used a double-bladed lightsaber and moved incredibly fast. Just as I sensed that the creature was aware that Qui-Gon and I would beat him, he found a way to divide us.”

Qui Gon Jinn and TPM Kenobi vs TPM Maul rematch CY3sjbjiz7lTgsgkSF29AifNVL-v-ibUH-uPwFwWdr2n-7JAcVsdHSpBoxzOBSVm9HOlnlZqwl1KVTyUi2_ljIyl9VVsDDSJXiQm7uVI

---

Maul "had" to separate the Jedi to beat them. As described in the novel End Game, Maul commits the entire complex to muscle memory: all the catwalks, the timing of the laser gates etc. His plan from the start was to separate Jinn and Kenobi. I see no reason to dismiss Kenobi's senses after the fact, where he claims Maul knew he couldn't win against both Jedi simultaneously. Combine this with Gillard writing the fights as ones between "near-equals", and we can safely assume that Maul was eventually going to lose.

As to how Maul can take two near-equals simultaneously for such an extended period of time, many sources indicate that the double-bladed lightsaber allows the user to better handle multiple opponents. Maul also had the advantage of knowing the entire battlefield in his muscle memory, as well as being more technically skilled than the Jedi (being the most well-trained Sith in history).

I'd be more than happy to shift my position if you've got tangible evidence in favour of Maul.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum