Suspect Insight Forums
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Two
Level Two

Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay Empty Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay

on March 14th 2020, 3:53 pm
Message reputation : 100% (7 votes)
A while ago in another thread, I wrote this essay about Peter Parker AKA Spider-Man is my favourite Marvel comics character, and I'd like to post it here because this forum to spark more discussion on non-Star Wars related comics. This is specifically about Peter Parker, the most prominent Spider-Man because there are many others:

Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay 96a2d3992a9a7d16ae8b59b0d2d2e8c9

One of the things about Stan Lee's The Amazing Spider-Man comics and Brian Michael Benis's Ultimate Spider-Man comics does that makes Peter Parker such a great and compelling character is the inspirational themes and messages in Peter's life. Peter is very human and relatable, he has problems, he has worries, he has to deal with making ends meet i.e. he is the everyman. Stan Lee, Spider-Man's co-creator, has talked about this several times:

Jonathan: Out of all the Marvel characters you've created, which are your favorites?

Stan Lee: Spider-Man and the Silver Surfer.

Jonathan: Why?

Stan Lee: I like Spider-Man because he's become the most famous. He's the one who's most like me -- nothing ever turns out 100 percent OK; he's got a lot of problems, and he does things wrong, and I can relate to that. And I like Silver Surfer because he's the most philosophical, always philosophizing about the human race and the human condition and why people are the way they are, why they don't appreciate this wonderful planet they live on, I . . . he has a nice moral tone to him.

Source ― A Chat With Stan Lee, 'Godfather' of Marvel Comics

Interviewer: What do you think about Spider-Man caught on? Do you really think it was just the "I can really relate to this guy" aspect of it?

Stan Lee: I think there are a lot of reasons, I think perhaps the main reason was the "I can relate to him" cause he was shy, he wasn't that successful with girls, he had to worry about his family. I think most teenagers reading it thought to themselves "Hey that could be me!" so there certainly was that identification, but beyond that I think I must say truthfully I think Steve and I came up with some great stories and some great villains, you know, Dock Ock, Green Goblin, the Sandman- everything worked, and visually the story too (gets interrupted), because the way Steve would have him crawling on walls and swinging on webs, it just- everything came together perfectly!

Interviewer: And it's very- one of the few comic book characters, even back then, was covered from head to toe, like even Captain America (who covers most of his face), Spider-Man's completely engulfed in his costume.

Stan Lee: Oh you know the good thing about that? You could be any kid, you could be black, you could be asian, you could be indian, you could be anything and imagine you were in that costume. So I think that made it relevant to everybody everywhere, and that was accidental, I don't think we planned it that way, but it was very furtuitous.

Stan Lee: Well I think Spider-Man may be perhaps one of the most realistic of all the heroes because when I originally planned him, I wanted him to have problems - the one thing that my publisher felt no hero should have, but I think the average reader can emphasise with them and can say "Gee yeah, that happened to me, sure I know how he feels" - you know he never has enough money, has trouble with girls, he- the way I would write the stories, he'd be as have to have an ingrown toe nail or dandruff and anything else. I tried to make him as human as possible, not just a guy who says: "You won't get away with that you rat" you know, give him a life. I spend as much time on his personal life as I did on the adventures- there's one other thing I just thought of! I think the stories I did starting with the Fantastic 4, Hulk and especially Spider-Man... Especially Spider-Man... Have more thought balloons than in any other script, and I just realised that most writers don't use thought balloons, and the thought ballons is the little bubble over the head showing what they're thinking. Now by using thought balloons, I think it helps the reader to get to know the character, because when you know what somebody is thinking, you understand them. So when I was writing Spider-Man, even if I had him chasing a villain, while he was chasing the villain, I might have a thought balloon over his head saying: "I really shouldn't be doing this because Aunt May is ill at home, and I know she needs her medicine" so I tried to throw another dimension into the adventure, not just "Take that you rat!" and that's the story.

Stan Lee: I was lucky with Peter Parker when I came up with that character because he seems to have struck a chord with so many readers, and I think it's because… He's probably more like a regular person, a normal person, than any other character. And I try to make him that way because I guess, until Peter Parker, no superhero - or no superhero's alter ego - had ever had to worry about making a living, getting along well with girls, being popular... Or have all the problems that- I tried to heap as many problems as I could on poor Peter because I feel most people- even people who seem to be happy have problems and they have worries. One thing I loved from the point of view of writing the stories, it made it easy for me to come up… See, you have to come up with situations that interest a reader, where the reader is going to say: "How the hell is he going to get out of this?"

Now, I was always… I always enjoy doing things where Peter Parker had to become Spider-Man and go over there in order to save the world, or the city, or Mary Jane, or somebody, but at the same time Aunt May needed her medicine or she might die and the only place to get the medicine was in the drug store over there. But Peter had to do either one of those in the next 5 minutes, and there wasn't time to do them both and what would he do?

And I tried to come up with as many situations of that type as possible. Because of the fact that he had… A regular life away from his superhero life that had all sorts of problems I think people could relate to it. Even the idea of not being able to… Well, for example, I had not read any other superheroes who very often felt they wished they could quit being a superhero because it's not a normal life, and he's miserable, and maybe he's not doing the right thing. I made him a guy who is very introspective, he questions: "Why am I doing this?" I gave him a guilt complex; he felt his Uncle had died because he hadn't captured this original burglar who ended up killing his Uncle. So he was riddled with neuroses, and riddled with worries and doubts, and there were quite a few stories I wrote where he wanted- In fact there was one story I know I wrote where he did, he threw his costume in a trash can and he walked away, said "I'm giving it up" and John Romita drew the greatest cover of him walking away into the distance, and the trash can over here with the costume kind of hanging over the side. And you hadn't seen that in Superman or Batman or anyone so… I'm rather proud of that. The fact that Peter - like any normal human being had self-doubts and concerns, and... He was just never sure. Am I doing…? Just like me now, I'm not sure. Am I talking too much? Am I talking too little? Do I look OK in the camera? Should I be sitting…? My wife will say, "You should have sat straight, why were you hunched over this way?" We all have these problems.

Stan Lee sums it all up perfectly in the last example. It is a common, reocurring theme that Peter's powers are not a gift, but a curse because they make his life worse. Being Spider-Man negatively affects Peter's personal life and his psyche, which is a given because he is given some amazing powers at the age of 15, but he uses them for personal gain because of his immature and unwise perception of life, which leads to disastrous consequences. In Amazing Fantasy 15, Peter refuses to use his powers to prevent a thief from escaping the law, out of spite towards the world for because Peter had a chip on his shoulder as a reaction to nearly everyone in his life treating him with mockery and contempt:

Peter Parker: Some day I'll show them! *Sob* Some day they'll be sorry!-- Sorry that they laughed at me!

Source ― Amazing Fantasy 15.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay 6999416-1

When reflecting on his years at Midtown High, Peter went into a lot of detail about how much of a loser he was before getting bitten by that accursed radioactive spider:

Peter Parker: I can look back at high school now and laugh, but it didn't seem so funny then! Things sure have changed. In those days I was "Puny Parker"... The class nerd... The little professor... The guy with the glasses. None of the girls would give me the time of day... And I was the butt of a thousand jokes. Becoming Spider-Man was the only release I had. Hmm... Maybe things haven't changed so much after all.

Source ― The Amazing Spider-Man Issue 240.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay 6999411-1656522486-Pictu

Peter was so hurt from being treated with mockery and contempt that he said that the entire world can hang for all he cares, except for Aunt May and Uncle Ben because they were the only ones who were ever kind to him:

Peter Parker: They're the only ones who've ever been kind to me! I'll see to it that they're always happy, but the rest of the world can hang for all I care!

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay 3

Despite the 15 year old Peter promising that he'll always make sure that Aunt May and Uncle Ben would be happy for being the few people in his life that were actually kind to him, Peter was resentful to the rest of the world because of his social status at school, so he didn't care about the needs and problems of other people, barring himself, Ben and May. Ironically enough, even when Peter promises that he'll make sure that his Aunt and Uncle will always be happy, Peter's lack of concern for other people's problems lead to one of the most defining moments of his life, involving Uncle Ben:

Cop: What's with you, mister?? All you hadda do was trip him, or hold him just for a minute!

Spider-Man
: Sorry, pal! That's your job! I'm through being pushed around -- by anyone! From now on I just look out for number one -- that means -- me!

Cop: I outta run you in--

Spider-Man: Save your breath, buddy! I've got things to do!

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay 7005633-9487038147-HE8qLppRKAXSn8QhcFgm2FIQXffvNt5mGgrT5BFlzq2NRq5-PykQNsNq4fsfq2D7S4VdbM052ojr%3Ds0

We all know what happens after this; the thief that Peter refuses to stop kills Uncle Ben. There is no official name for him, he is commonly referred to as "The Burglar", but it's possible that his second name is Carradine. He broke into Peter's house, demanded money from May and Ben, and kills Ben. Peter's fateful choice nonetheless led to the death of his Uncle. When Peter found out about Ben's death, Peter's reaction to this was vengeance, so he hunts his Uncle's killer out of a need for vengeance and this is what happened when he tracks him down:

“And a lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, with Great Power there must also come -- Great Responsibility! And so a legend is born and a new name is added to the roster of those who make the world of a fantasy the most exciting realm of all!” ― Amazing Fantasy 15 Narration.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay 7001057-0083147586-wJf4G8CQAHDMqgKq0Qf6iJ0vRHt2s-Rz9ccrcAFz01zjh7OxBUsVIw1ZyOg2DcTxZL0W4mGENjYQ%3Ds0 Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay 7001028-7889720812-a185PUJM9UV8EWpoYY9VpRWDwt9LAhBMvANIkbjuwsZ3Nv9GNhTEEpJuZmdkHA-iDTMDa6IBBlUR%3Ds0

Peter Parker: I was selfish. So selfish -- and you paid the price. You did, I did, Aunt May did. I will never forgive myself for that. I will never forget that I could have stopped it. It's all so clear now, Uncle Ben. It's like I've been wearing a blindfold and ear muffs all my life -- and someone just ripped them off me. I can see the world clearly now -- and I see what my place is in it. You were right -- with Power comes Responsibility. Absolutely. For some reason I've been given Great Power. And with Great Power then must come Great Responsibility. I will never let you down again, Uncle Ben.

Source ― Ultimate Spider-Man Issue 5.

Spoiler:

These comic scans will all be somewhat familiar because Sam Raimi's first Spider-Man movie adapts them, albeit in a more brutal fashion. Peter in Amazing Fantasy 15 disarms his Uncle's killer and delivers a punch that renders him unconscious for a moment, meanwhile Peter in Ultimate Spider-Man Issue 5 hurls a tire at his Uncle's killer to stop him from getting away, renders him unconscious for a moment with a punch. Tobey's Peter in contrast to the comic book versions of Peter, slams his Uncle's killer against two glass frames so hard that the glass is shattered, kicks him towards the window, lifts him off his feet and slams him against the window, breaks his wrist and scares the fuck out of him to the point that the he falls out of the window and dies:

But when Peter gets a better look at the face of his Uncle's killer in these depictions, he realises that it's the same guy that he voluntarily allowed to get away from the Police out of bitterness and spite. Not only is this the start of Peter's career as everyone's friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man, but it's also the start of his infamous Parker Luck. Even before the spider bite, Peter has to live with the usual problems people deal in their teenage years. In Peter’s case, he has no luck getting with any of girls at school, he has to put up with being bullied and socially excluded by people for being an introverted bookworm with different interests even though Peter is technically smarter than them, and his Aunt and Uncle had money problems. But now his problems have dialled up to 11 because Peter has to live with the fact that he is basically the reason why his Uncle is dead. If Peter had done the right thing by taking his responsibility for his powers (i.e. using them to stop the burglar from escaping), Ben would still be alive. Not only did this rob Peter of his surrogate father, this also robbed Aunt May of her husband, causing her to become a lonely widow who would then also have to face the struggle to paying rent that Ben paid before his death:

Peter Parker: Uncle Ben is dead! And all because I was too late to save him! My Spider-Man costume, I wish there was no such thing! [...] And now, Uncle Ben is gone, and Aunt May and I are alone! 

Aunt May: 
Please give me a little more time! I'll pay the rent next week, if only you'll wait!

Peter Parker (thoughts): And what's worse, without Uncle Ben, we've no money to pay our bills!

Source ― The Amazing Spider-Man Issue 1.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay KfXqR2gWfCJNCqrwPVzZ1HADt4r4g0iMbX6nf3qXshwvEaVMfB8hatOyNMa6xNHuMwWaYetG1N_S=s0 Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay F4RzpfYnjmVB-_rZKY_kXh8KDCBVrsRQIwgnVMJJbWCD-VtF0nn8sxYplSy3A94unJ7RFXqHAKch=s0 Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay Ji86_JdkZAwjPIkGbCWGmuUnYlmIrZA2Li2o1ZRIwgxtZXFzcjDgKqCjN_i8mk4li4-7eQZLKrEp=s0 Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay UTyiCozblfDK2RW2pHqlTp-WUyoYWrCWuGm9zeyzxE-1hdIYrbRf4ysF9EVqySyGx8pS6wNzEY-H=s0 Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay 9EcOpUe-mYpyLU6rBD4dfP4kdmOQyWMDW9Q1bus-lbO6FsRnK-9TnFO02Zkrw0gZRwYpFlewQ_nx=s0

So Peter has to live with the fact that he's also the reason why his only remaining parental figure suffers from loneliness and a financial crisis, this financial crisis in particular affected both May and Peter because May is taking care of Peter, and Peter put himself under the difficult task on finding money making avenues but struggled due a number of reasons; the showbusiness Peter briefly worked at as Spider-Man would not cash his cheque because they wanted formal identification from him, but Peter couldn't bring himself to disclose his identity under the mask to the cashier because he wanted to keep it a secret for his own safety, he also had no driver's license or social security card in the name of Spider-Man, so he couldn't get any cash out of the cheque (F); Peter also applied for regular jobs that were advertised in the newspaper, got rejected by the employers for being a kid (another F). These problems prevented Peter from making the money that he so desperately needed to make up for May's unpaid rent, and what made this even more frustrating for Peter is that not only did he keep hitting these stumbling blocks, Aunt May found a money making avenue, but she had to resort to selling her own jewellery to partly make up for the unpaid rent, and on top of all that, Peter's public image as Spider-Man was completely tarnished by Daily Bugle editor J Jonah Jameson who publishe newspapers that portrayed Spider-Man as public menace (Peter however, does make money in the next issue and not only the unpaid rent, but also the full year's rent). Stan Lee has confirmed that Peter suffers from self doubt and a guilt complex, this guilt complex is a reoccurring theme in The Amazing Spider-Man comics, Peter feels responsible for things that aren't even is his fault most of the time and it's because Peter has developed a trauma induced guilt complex over causing Ben's death, which is so bad that Peter occasionally retells his origin story when he's talking to himself. It shows up repeatedly whether it's Steve Ditko, John Romita or Todd Mcfarlane drawing Spider-Man.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay KfXqR2gWfCJNCqrwPVzZ1HADt4r4g0iMbX6nf3qXshwvEaVMfB8hatOyNMa6xNHuMwWaYetG1N_S=s0

Source ― The Amazing Spider-Man Issue 50.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay 4ezXngzL4Q4xF82rDuKh8BVjPsvQA-zhEY7LaclGwYI75y9-Yc-vdcAcobNRYSoR-p5cqIvhjyIN=s0 Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay UTkh37ngUXphGf5o83ODbPl_mb8PQLWfqmB5AClTinAh0juwebiC5xMhOwtL2RBFk9fm7oewNaCW=s0

Source ― The Amazing Spider-Man Issue 94.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay B31mBnuBh0thU69EG1hNHcFNXN-SXeywaFUIRRdgjkDHqeJyAMAI20RZyjkfgDtWg8EFeIOisI33=s0 Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay RcSLa2GU5oeGKl-JtuEEBp88UBfkAbLqCSShpB0M8P150DFx2874TFrpLu6PBxIf3zfh7jmuC4I_=s0 Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay NwsERs_e7ZZYzUim1njb_0KFSrCbI0RxoZk1Or7oR4YZ8INEjjEXB26EX2gfMt2TqsSBtBTN4cBH=s0 Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay OYLDicVpx9BEGwUJjDLLw1LZAyqOuXLJZsRnS0UkpB_lDdpXMFKnOMzYxFX2d3RdW4j0B5jqGRsv=s0 Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay FgIc80RVuakRvFpuuSZJ1fsMphR01zyArEr-De571h23pZ-2Fsz9q6MTwwdAMnUvKZhbWkwWnM1D=s0

Source ― The Amazing Spider-Man Issue 200.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay Jv-xf_jFtTV_SHlMTFg8o3NQZCH5Zo_V84p0vWmE-GE8jCcv-rsIPGlgFIIlUK1wrbFa9TkToJHH=s0 Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay 9BFcNlPAcHfCFqV6rxzfTW0CNKpf3srp-uIq0UkfM7bQoRSUQ520NqYS0B_djwO8b90GgWL2rjRQ=s0

Source ― The Amazing Spider-Man Issue 253.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay EhE-e09bAMTkaNUtZ2BYcPnyxfcsIOFYW3DEGvtAlknckdfBCb-hcRrMFp2-M8PV5WNZb-Ajz7CW=s0

Being Spider-Man affects Peter's relationships and reputation. When Spider-Man is needed, Peter disappears and Spider-Man appears, and Peter's friends/acquintances notice that Peter isn't anywhere to be seen when there is trouble, so he's often accused of being a coward when he's actually the one saving their lives. It affects Peter's friendships because he has to sacrifice the luxury of spending time with his friends for the sake of being Spider-Man, and Peter's friends feel like he is being a bad friend by not spending time with them. What makes this even worse is that even though Peter has some amazing powers, he can’t control everything that happens in his life. Being Spider-Man leads to the deaths of even more people, like Captain George Stacy, Gwen Stacy and Need Leeds. Peter looked up to George as a father figure who took up the role of the dead Uncle Ben; Gwen Stacy is Peter's second love (he has referred to Gwen as his first love in some instances, but his first love is technically Betty Brant however you want to look at it); Ned Leeds was Peter's co-worker and the husband of Betty Brant (Peter's first girlfriend). Not only did George, Gwen and Ned die because they are unfortunately around Peter's alter ego (Spider-Man), Peter witnessed them die, which adds even more layers to Peter's guilt complex.

School and work is also affected. Being Peter Parker and Spider-Man results in a double life, a double life that he just can't balance. Peter's life as Spider-Man takes a lot of time away from studying and attending school and it stops him from being able to have a job because he doesn't always have time for his real life commitments. So despite being really intelligent in Science and Maths, his grades just don't prove it. The only job that Peter can get is taking selfies of himself in his Spider-Man costume whilst pretending that he is someone else taking photos of Spider-Man, and then hand them to J Jonah Jameson, but J Jonah Jameson is the same guy who trolls Spider-Man and Peter at the same time on a daily basis by defaming Spider-Man whilst paying Peter a subpar wage and even in that case, Peter isn't always able to get pictures that Jameson wants. At some point during the days that Todd Mcfarlane was penning Spider-Man, Peter was able to get a part time job in teaching at Empire State University, but early in that job, Peter had to take time off because he was tricked into thinking Aunt May died, and during that time, he had a reunion with the Burglar that killed Uncle Ben. There was also this one story arc where Peter quits studying at Empire State university because he had too much going on in his life, this decision caused some friction between Peter and Aunt May because she misinterpreted this decision as Peter recklessly throwing away his dreams without justifiable cause, causing Peter some huge headache. The reason why she misintepretated Peter's decision was because she didn't know he was Spider-Man (some writers tried conveying that she always subsconciously knew, but this has been retconned, but she does find out about Peter's secret much later on), and the reason why Peter doesn't tell her isn't simply the generic "if you know I'm Spider-Man, my enemies will use you to get to me" narrative, it's because Peter thinks she wouldn't be able to cope with the shock of finding out that her nephew, her surrogate son, puts himself in mortal danger every single day, Peter doesn't want to put May through that pain, because she has already been through enough pain of the tragedy of losing her husband, Ben Parker. Peter thinks that if May knows that he is Spider-Man, she will constantly worry about losing him, just like how she lost Ben, he doesn't want her to go through the pain of fearing that she might lose Peter just like she lost Ben.

Source ― The Amazing Spider-Man Issue 253.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay JtEVPxnSrNnoFHAm45zWY-0BDpPFrXBjBN71duo3QvKgEQYA5BSeE5keW9UAtxk-_U42BbBSMTmw=s0 Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay SJyR1Bmj5gbbUZ1Edh1Ve0V8N7Q7U-t62ejlooIImRurigSK0pZMaPGdHyCFJjOP0Gki2opsDK8k=s0

To continue, even though Peter has some amazing powers, he feels forced to keep it a secret from the public not only because many people hate Spider-Man and want him dead, keeping his powers a secret also protects Peter’s dignity and self esteem because Spider-Man has lost and abandoned battles with his enemies because he knows he isn’t invincible, so he retreats because of injuries and/or fatigue that are hampering him in combat, or simply has no choice but to disengage from battle because he has more pressing concerns and problems that he has to turn his attention to. Most people who witness this, sadly misread and misunderstand this, thinking that Spider-Man is running away because he’s a coward. There are multiple occurrences of Peter suffering injuries as a result of violent encounters with his enemies, this doesn't just include Spider-Man's super powered villains, it also includes some of the public, particularly people who are convinced that Spider-Man is a menace. When Peter receives such injuries, he has no choice but to spend lots of time resting or seeking medical attention (which triggers panick attacks for poor Aunt May), eating up even more of Peter’s spare time and further disconnecting him from his friends and family.

Despite what Spider-Man does to make New York a safer place, some, though not everyone, fear Spider-Man and view him as nothing more than a menace, a vigilante who is no better than the enemies he fights. Peter has to live up to Ben's death by doing the best he can do live up to his responsibility as Spider-Man by doing good and fighting injustice, and yet the public and police still hold prejudice against him for various reasons, but they don't even know him and have any idea what he goes through on a daily basis under the mask. Peter has a habit of ranting and exploding in mental breakdowns, as you can see here:

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay Main-qimg-4151d65d8745317b49506f7ef4885471

Source ― The Amazing Spider-Man Issue 17.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay Main-qimg-13881a8551bd187a5db68a86ebf2edf6

Source ― The Amazing Spider-Man Issue 44.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay Main-qimg-dc8675dab576e23aff3d1131a65f8acc

Source ― The Amazing Spider-Man Issue 45.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay Main-qimg-3c62f108a347be31ea89113e5c086c1b

Source ― The Amazing Spider-Man Issue 70.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay Main-qimg-fc05a040b62f62c22aa47a4bdbfd3d91

Source ― The Amazing Spider-Man Issue 71.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay Main-qimg-901b95814de5086744e30ab3f04fbdca

Source ― The Amazing Spider-Man Issue 82.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay Main-qimg-b59b9c433e82eece412e8f01776e40d7

Source ― The Amazing Spider-Man Issue 93.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay Main-qimg-8bcaf162d8aada2201a7a18a523efe55

Source ― The Amazing Spider-Man Issue 94.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay Main-qimg-62a7741e317c090e86000ea485593333

Peter talks to himself... A lot... In nearly every single issue. The out of universe reason for this is that the comic book writers are providing exposition to the readers so that they know what Peter's thoughts and feelings are. There are in-universe reasons too; some people talk to themselves because they think best out loud. When Peter is talking to himself, he is working out the problems he's facing, going over the things he has to do and reviewing what he's just seen and done, to make sure he's made sense of it all. Peter finds that talking to himself enables him to calm down and process what's happening in his life, it's a coping mechanism that helps him deal with all the crazy and dangerous shit that he comes across in his double life as Peter Parker and Spider-Man. Many people cope with their problems this way, Peter is just one of these people, but his Parker Luck has thrusted him in far more extreme situations. Not to mention, even before Peter got bitten by that radioactive spider, he already spent a lot of time in his own head, talking to himself because of his lack of social life, it's something that he likely grew up with, so that habit never left him even after he became Spider-Man. I don't blame him because he starts out as a 15 year old kid who's been forced to accept burdens that few adults would be able to manage, and manages to keep this career going for the sake of atoning for Ben’s death. Peter didn't ask to be Spider-Man, he got these powers by accident, and the one time he uses them for his own personal gain instead of using them for good, it bites him in the ass and he repeatedly has to pay for it with the losses of people who are important to him, Uncle Ben was just just the first, Peter also lost Captain George Stacy, Gwen Stacy and Ned Leeds, which adds more layers to Peter's trauma induced guilt complex. Peter does quit being Spider-Man in the Spider-Man No More story arc due to all these underlying problems as I implicitly talked about earlier, but he resumes his career a few issues later. He also contemplates on ending his career again during the story arc where Flash Thompson was framed as the Hobgoblin, but changes his mind and continues his career. I could go on and on and talk about the monstrosity of the Osborn family and the Symbiotes, I don't know if it's possible to keep track of all of Peter's problems, the comic book writers go out of their way to take a dump on Peter life, right and centre, and what's bizarre is they retcon a lot of shit, making it virtually impossible to keep track of things.

FYI: This is a prototype, I've written a lot of paragraphs but haven't given any comic scans to prove more than half the points that I've made, and I really want to do that, but I don't have the time and energy to do it on a whim, I'll be updating this from time to time, assuming that I get around to skimming through the tons of Spidey issues again. This is my understanding on the earth 616 Amazing Spider-Man comics from the 60s to 90s era for the most part, because these are the Spider-Man comics I liked the most. I've read some of the post 2000s era of the earth 616 comics, but I didn’t really like them as much, One More Day and Reign were garbage. I’ve read a good amount of the Ultimate comics, specifically from issue 1 up to the Ultimate fallout miniseries (the time period of Ultimate Peter’s death), that continuity has similar themes that influenced this characer study, but it tells them differently in some respects. I’ve only read a handful of Miles Morales issues, and I don't like Miles that much.

Last edited by Latham2000 on August 6th 2020, 9:57 pm; edited 54 times in total
The Lost
The Lost
Level Five
Level Five

Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay Empty Re: Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay

on March 14th 2020, 4:08 pm
Awesome read.  Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay 1289255181
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Two
Level Two

Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay Empty Re: Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay

on March 14th 2020, 4:26 pm
ILS wrote:Awesome read.  Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay 1289255181

Thanks. Spider-Man Character Study ― The Ultimate Essay 1289255181
lorenzo.r.2nd
lorenzo.r.2nd
Level Two
Level Two

on March 14th 2020, 5:58 pm
i rewatched the first one out the toby trilogy.. it didnt age well, imo
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Two
Level Two

on March 14th 2020, 6:09 pm
@lorenzo.r.2nd wrote:i rewatched the first one out the toby trilogy.. it didnt age well, imo

Are you just referring to Spider-Man 1, or the entire trilogy?
Heathen
Heathen

on May 26th 2020, 7:07 pm
Really nice, Latham!  i like how you make Peter relatable (I guess his character's charm is that he is relatable, but you do an even better job of it).  
I still like his older comics, and just last night I watched a bit of Ultimate SpiderMan and Venom.
Heathen
Heathen

on May 26th 2020, 7:19 pm
Why don't you like the post-1990 SM as much?  And what is it about Miles you don't like?  Personally, I enjoyed Into the Spider Verse.
Master Azronger
Master Azronger
Moderator | Champion of the Light
Moderator | Champion of the Light

on May 26th 2020, 9:43 pm
Good post

Level Two
Level Two

on May 27th 2020, 12:05 am
@Latham2000 wrote:
@lorenzo.r.2nd wrote:i rewatched the first one out the toby trilogy.. it didnt age well, imo

i just saw this lmao

i watched the first one, since i have the other two a CDs. I was always a fan of the third one cuz it venom lmao
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Two
Level Two

on May 27th 2020, 9:16 am
@Heathen wrote:Really nice, Latham!  i like how you make Peter relatable (I guess his character's charm is that he is relatable, but you do an even better job of it).  
I still like his older comics, and just last night I watched a bit of Ultimate SpiderMan and Venom.

Thanks!

@Heathen wrote:Why don't you like the post-1990 SM as much?  And what is it about Miles you don't like?  Personally, I enjoyed Into the Spider Verse.

The reason why I don't like the post-1990s SM comics as much as I like the 1960s-1990s Spider-Man comics, is simply because I just have a personal preference for the old school Spider-Man comics over the contemporary Spider-Man comics from the 2000s, 2010s and newly 2020s. The Spider-Man comics from the '60s to the '90s have a more classic feeling to them, they're more influenced by Spider-Man's creators, Stan Lee and Steve Ditko with the ongoing themes and messages that are being conveyed, mainly because that's when Lee and Ditko seemed to be most actively involved involved with the character. I've read some random comics from the 2000s and 2010s, they're evidently more contemporary and are also influenced by real world politics, what also doesn't help is that retconns happen left, right and centre during the post 1990s era, and what also doesn't help is garbage stories like Spider-Man: Reign and also Spider-Man: One More Day. I guess another reason why I have a personal preference for the 1960s-1990s era of Spider-Man comics, is because I grew up watching Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy (2002 to 2007) featuring Tobey Maguire, which have a special place in my heart, Sam Raimi's trilogy was heavily influenced by the 1960s and 1970s era, because Raimi grew up reading Spider-Man comics up until the 1970s, when I started reading Amazing Fantasy 15 and it's subsequent Spider-Man stories in The Amazing Spider-Man comic book series that started in 1963, I could easily see how it influenced Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy, so reading Spider-Man comics from the '60s to '90s made me appreciate the Sam Raimi trilogy even more. Even Spider-Man 3, as much flak as it gets, as many problems as it has, is actually ahead of its time because use of dark, mature themes such as addiction, betrayal, revenge and forgiveness, and it does beautiful job at illustrating the dangerous, self destructive nature of revenge in my opinion. Spider-Man 3 is also more influenced from the 1980s-1990s era of Spider-Man comics, because of its inclusion of the Venom Symbiote. Many people handwave the love for the Raimi trilogy as nothing more than mere "nostalgia" but even when removing nostalgia, the Raimi trilogy is still a great take on Spider-Man, because not only does it make a lot of effort into conveying how much of a curse Peter's powers are, that he is surrounded by pain and tragedy, and it's the only live action version of Spider-Man that does the character of Uncle Ben justice in how much of an important figure he is in Peter's life, even Spider-Man 3's retconning of how Ben dies, still doesn't defeat the purpose of why Peter becomes Spider-Man in the first place because Peter is still responsible for his Uncle's death even when taking that retcon into account, the only thing that's actually retconned is the sequence of events leading up to Ben's death, but the sequence of events still starts with one fundamental fact: Peter refuses to stop a criminal called Dennis, from escaping the law because Peter has a chip on his shoulder, which later leads to Dennis startling Flint into unwittingly shooting Ben.

As your question about Miles, I read a few issues of Miles, the character just didn't appeal to me from what I read, and I've not gotten around to reading other stories about Miles due to lack of interest, I have lots of Peter issues and stories to read in the future, but I've been taking a several months long break from reading Spider-Man comics, last year I read 300+ issues in a matter of a few months, and it was pretty exhausting. 

I've not watched the entirety of Into the Spider Verse just yet.

Last edited by Latham2000 on May 29th 2020, 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Two
Level Two

on May 27th 2020, 9:17 am
Azronger wrote:Good post

Thanks.
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Two
Level Two

on May 27th 2020, 9:22 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
@lorenzo.r.2nd wrote:
@Latham2000 wrote:

i just saw this lmao

i watched the first one, since i have the other two a CDs. I was always a fan of the third one cuz it venom lmao

I actually used to dislike Spider-Man 3 for many years, there was a long time I could barely watch it because I found it too dull, depressing and melodramatic, I even used to cringe at Peter crying, but that's because I wasn't mature enough to understand Spider-Man 3, but it grew on me as I got older. I still don't think Venom was done correctly though, that's clearly where the studio interference becomes more apparent.
lorenzo.r.2nd
lorenzo.r.2nd
Level Two
Level Two

on May 27th 2020, 3:08 pm
i watched it as a kid, so to me, it was all about the badassery, u know? like, venom was the shit, if ur like, idk, 10 years old? when did this movie even come out lol
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Two
Level Two

on May 27th 2020, 5:00 pm
@lorenzo.r.2nd wrote:i watched it as a kid, so to me, it was all about the badassery, u know? like, venom was the shit, if ur like, idk, 10 years old? when did this movie even come out lol
It came out in May 2007. I can vividly remember the marketing for the film, it was actually really cool. I was actually offered a chance to watch it in cinemas, but turned it down because Venom freaked me out for some reason, I was only 6. But when I watched it for the first time i.e. 2008, Venom didn’t scare me at all, but I disliked the film for aforementioned reasons for several years, I recall having a change of heart about it as early as back as 2015. Spider-Man 3 has actually grown on a lot of people, there are dozens upon dozens of videos defending and praising it nowadays.

Last edited by Latham2000 on May 27th 2020, 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
lorenzo.r.2nd
lorenzo.r.2nd
Level Two
Level Two

on May 27th 2020, 6:34 pm
@Latham2000 wrote:
@lorenzo.r.2nd wrote:i watched it as a kid, so to me, it was all about the badassery, u know? like, venom was the shit, if ur like, idk, 10 years old? when did this movie even come out lol
It came out in May 2007. I can vividly remember the the marketing for the film, it was actually really cool. I was actually offered a chance to watch it in cinemas, but turned it down because Venom freaked me out for some reason, I was only 6. But when I watched it for the first time i.e. 2008, Venom didn’t scare me at all, but I disliked the film for aforementioned reasons for several years, I recall having a change of heart about it as early as back as 2015. Spider-Man 3 has actually grown on a lot of people, there are dozens upon dozens of videos defending and praising it nowadays.
i mean, its spider man, sandman, venom, eddie, and an actually cool version of the goblin. i liked it from the start.
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Two
Level Two

on May 28th 2020, 9:37 am
@lorenzo.r.2nd wrote:
@Latham2000 wrote:
It came out in May 2007. I can vividly remember the the marketing for the film, it was actually really cool. I was actually offered a chance to watch it in cinemas, but turned it down because Venom freaked me out for some reason, I was only 6. But when I watched it for the first time i.e. 2008, Venom didn’t scare me at all, but I disliked the film for aforementioned reasons for several years, I recall having a change of heart about it as early as back as 2015. Spider-Man 3 has actually grown on a lot of people, there are dozens upon dozens of videos defending and praising it nowadays.
i mean, its spider man, sandman, venom, eddie, and an actually cool version of the goblin. i liked it from the start.

If that's what made you like the film, that's fine, you do you.
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Three
Level Three

on May 29th 2020, 6:43 am
Good post
Nute_Chethray
Nute_Chethray

on May 29th 2020, 6:54 am
Great post
SithSauce
SithSauce
Level One
Level One

on May 29th 2020, 7:56 am
@Latham2000 wrote:
It came out in May 2007. I can vividly remember the marketing for the film, it was actually really cool. I was actually offered a chance to watch it in cinemas, but turned it down because Venom freaked me out for some reason, I was only 6. But when I watched it for the first time i.e. 2008, Venom didn’t scare me at all, but I disliked the film for aforementioned reasons for several years, I recall having a change of heart about it as early as back as 2015. Spider-Man 3 has actually grown on a lot of people, there are dozens upon dozens of videos defending and praising it nowadays.
@Latham2000 In comparison to the TASM duology, Spider Man 3 doesn't seem so bad for many people now. Kind of like the Star Wars Prequels in comparison to the Sequel Trilogy
NotAA3
NotAA3
Level Four
Level Four

on May 29th 2020, 8:03 am
The first TASM film is way better than Spider-Man 3, lol.
Sjuttiosju
Sjuttiosju
Level Seven
Level Seven

on May 29th 2020, 8:15 am
The first TASM film is legitimately solid and the second is not unlike SM 3, a bad film with good elements (Though I'll admit I rank it a lot higher than it deserves due to subjective preference).
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Two
Level Two

on May 29th 2020, 9:31 am
@SithSauce wrote:
@Latham2000 wrote:It came out in May 2007. I can vividly remember the marketing for the film, it was actually really cool. I was actually offered a chance to watch it in cinemas, but turned it down because Venom freaked me out for some reason, I was only 6. But when I watched it for the first time i.e. 2008, Venom didn’t scare me at all, but I disliked the film for aforementioned reasons for several years, I recall having a change of heart about it as early as back as 2015. Spider-Man 3 has actually grown on a lot of people, there are dozens upon dozens of videos defending and praising it nowadays.
@Latham2000 In comparison to the TASM duology, Spider Man 3 doesn't seem so bad for many people now. Kind of like the Star Wars Prequels in comparison to the Sequel Trilogy

Not entirely, to be honest. Spider-Man 3 still got bashed on even when TASM 1 came out in 2012, in fact when TASM first came out, people started jumping on this Raimi hate bandwagon, like how people bashed on the Tim Burton Batman films when the Nolan Batman films came out in the 2000s, huge amounts of people started jumping bashing on the entire Raimi trilogy whilst fellating TASM, for reasons that were actually mostly hypocritical, ngl it was crazy. This gradually began to change when TASM 2 came out in 2014 because it received a lot of backlash and people said that it was worse than Spider-Man 3, it also seemed to be the same year that people had a change of heart about Spider-Man 3, and I would chalk that down to time.

Last edited by Latham2000 on May 29th 2020, 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Two
Level Two

on May 29th 2020, 9:42 am
Set, The God of Chaos wrote:The first TASM film is way better than Spider-Man 3, lol.
ScionOfSkywalker77 wrote:The first TASM film is legitimately solid and the second is not unlike SM 3, a bad film with good elements (Though I'll admit I rank it a lot higher than it deserves due to subjective preference).

In terms of story structure, TASM 1 is definitely a lot better than Spider-Man 3. Spider-Man 3 has this lather rinse repeat formula because it is overstuffed with too many sub plots that can't organically be connected in 1 film, it's quite literally 3 different films that have been squeezed in one film, TASM 1 however has a simple and straightforward narrative and ties it up pretty neatly. TASM 1 and even TASM 2, as overstuffed it is, get a lot of things right even though they get a lot of things wrong about Spider-Man, but one thing that I can give them credit for is that they clearly convey that Peter's powers are a curse that fills his life with tragedy.
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Two
Level Two

on May 29th 2020, 9:43 am
@HellfireUnit wrote:Good post

@Nute_Chethray wrote:Great post

Thanks.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum