Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

★ Fireside Chat #1 - Darth Malgus vs Savage Opress Empty ★ Fireside Chat #1 - Darth Malgus vs Savage Opress

March 8th 2020, 7:20 pm
FIRESIDE CHAT #1:

DARTH MALGUS VS SAVAGE OPRESS

- Darth Malgus as of The Old Republic - Onslaught
- Savage Opress as of The Clone Wars - Season 5 - The Lawless

This series aims to promote good faith and thorough versus discussion. Do not just state your opinion—justify it. Any and all thoughtful commentary toward Malgus, Opress, or how they match up is encouraged. Moderators may reward leading contributing members with up to fifty stars points.
HeartoftheForce
HeartoftheForce
Level Two
Level Two

★ Fireside Chat #1 - Darth Malgus vs Savage Opress Empty Re: ★ Fireside Chat #1 - Darth Malgus vs Savage Opress

March 8th 2020, 7:31 pm
Being inferior to Tau is pretty damming. It depends if Malgus can figure out a way to finesse around Opress. If he goes head to head he's done.
lorenzo.r.2nd
lorenzo.r.2nd
Level Three
Level Three

★ Fireside Chat #1 - Darth Malgus vs Savage Opress Empty Re: ★ Fireside Chat #1 - Darth Malgus vs Savage Opress

March 8th 2020, 7:32 pm
this seems so formal, so im kinda hesitant to say something or take a side, but ill try to go with a pros and con's list.

For malgus (pros):

I think he is the better duelist (his onslaught self is "far" above his earlier iterations, who already impressed me with skill).

I think he is smarter and more experienced

I think he has the better techniques

I think he is more skilled with the force

I think he has the better stamina and pain tolerance

For Savage (pros):

He seems to be stronger (physically)

His moments of rage impress a good deal (talking about raw power here)

He may be the better h2h fighter here (in case it leads to it)

Malgus's skill edge might not matter considering the fact of how skilled his opponents have been up until his death

He seems to be more durable

I personally believe that his double bladed saber is the better weapon.

For Malgus (cons):

He is weaker

He is not as durable

He has the (arguably) inferior weapon

He doesnt have a power advantage in my opinion

If he were to lose his saber, he could lost pretty badly

If he decides to go full tank mode and not dodge or anything like that, i will instantly lean towards Savage

For Savage (cons):

He is not as bright 

He cannot his arsenal to its fullest

He has a huge lack of force powers

He likely doenst have the agility to deal with Malgus fully

He is less skilled with the force.

Im leaning towards Malgus for now
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

March 8th 2020, 7:35 pm
I don't think there's any definitive link (Though as I've stated repeatedly, unlike users such as Az I don't see the necessity for one, nor do I think the standard that there's a requirement for a link should be applied) but a comparison of the scaling afforded to the two gives a rather simple result. Malgus scales further off feats that are seemingly of a greater magnitude than the one's Opress scales off. As in most cases, I'm willing to be convinced that Savage is capable of a victory, I just honestly don't see how at present.

Last edited by ScionOfSkywalker77 on March 16th 2020, 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
EmperorCaedus
EmperorCaedus
Level Three
Level Three

March 8th 2020, 7:40 pm
I find Malgus' fight with the Outlander in Onslaught to be more impressive then anything Savage has done
The Fallen Warrior
The Fallen Warrior
Level Four
Level Four

March 8th 2020, 7:41 pm
Savage's ability to master Juyo in a few weeks, and contention with Anakin and Obi-wan is impressive enough. Add in the fact that Savage can blow Dooku across the room with his power blows and you have an incredibly formidable character, the thing with Malgus is (as we see in deceived) we know he is smart, but we also know he tries to go head to head with his foes and that just won't work, strength to strength is Savage's game. Overall Savage sweeps just like he did to master Halsey
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

March 8th 2020, 7:43 pm
@Isv:

Add in the fact that Savage can blow Dooku across the room with his power blows

No, he can't. The only time he accomplished this was while amped. He's consistently failed to replicate it against weaker opponents.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

March 8th 2020, 7:44 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I wrote out an entire essay for this and just deleted it by catching backspace.  ★ Fireside Chat #1 - Darth Malgus vs Savage Opress 1648373583

To sum up what I said: Malgus is comparably strong, probably faster, more durable, quite a bit more skilled, and both stronger and more masterful in his usage of the Force. He should take it in a decent fight.
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

March 8th 2020, 7:47 pm
Savage's ability to master Juyo in a few weeks,
Source for it being a few weeks and that he mastered it?

and contention with Anakin and Obi-wan is impressive enough.

He was rage amped the second time and in a fairly narrow corridor, intent on driving them back.

Add in the fact that Savage can blow Dooku across the room with his power blows

While incredibly amped and while Dooku wasn't ready for it.

and you have an incredibly formidable character, the thing with Malgus is (as we see in deceived) we know he is smart, but we also know he tries to go head to head with his foes and that just won't work, strength to strength is Savage's game.

Deceived Malgus could shatter Lord Adraas' ribs with his kicks, send Ven Zallow flying with a kick, send Aryn Leneer flying with a punch, drive Leneer to her knees, and hold off the four protagonists at once in a combination of strength, speed, skill and power. The power gap between Deceived and FE and then Onslaught is huge. How is this Savage's game?

Overall Savage sweeps just like he did to master Halsey

You've yet to properly substantiate this.
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

March 8th 2020, 7:48 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
HeartoftheForce wrote:Being inferior to Tau is pretty damming. It depends if Malgus can figure out a way to finesse around Opress. If he goes head to head he's done.

@HeartoftheForce: Malgus had just pasted a combat-ready Tau to the ground right before he pulled down the structure. The exertion to break through what was likely Tau's active Force barrier plausibly explains the time difference between Tau and Malgus bringing down the structure, and also shows Malgus is far more powerful than Tau. Tau even tells the Outlander, "We (her and her apprentice) were lucky to survive at all. That wouldn't have happened if you hadn't been there. Thanks."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBbHzuRXTPY&t=12m24s
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

March 8th 2020, 7:49 pm
HeartoftheForce wrote:Being inferior to Tau is pretty damming. It depends if Malgus can figure out a way to finesse around Opress. If he goes head to head he's done.
See Ant's post. Tau admitted she and Arn wouldn't have had a chance at surviving if the Outlander weren't there, suggesting that they weren't too much of a help during the fight. Not to mention that Tau isn't weak herself.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

March 8th 2020, 8:13 pm
I don't see how Savage has any advantages here. So inclined to go with Malgus on just having everything better in his corner.
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

March 8th 2020, 11:02 pm
considering malgus faced the outlander and managed to hold his own well he have the superior abilites 

on savage the only real thing that impress me is the fact he killed adi gallia besides that not too much else
AncientPower
AncientPower
Suspect Hero | Level Four
Suspect Hero | Level Four

March 8th 2020, 11:11 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Malgus is better in every way.
Geistalt
Geistalt

March 9th 2020, 1:31 am
How is Malgus inferior to Tau?
Geistalt
Geistalt

March 9th 2020, 1:32 am
The canon fight is Outlander HoT + Tau vs. Malgus
Underachiever599
Underachiever599

March 9th 2020, 1:57 am
Malgus has almost every conceivable edge aside from weapon choice, and pure physical strength/durability. Also, have we ever seen Savage successfully block Force lightning? I don't recall him doing so against Sidious, and it was a major vulnerability against Dooku. Should Malgus start employing Force abilities instead of focusing on a pure head-to-head duel, I don't see any avenue for success on Oppress' part.
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

March 9th 2020, 2:47 am
I’m not the most knowledgeable when it comes to Malgus, though when it comes to technical skill he might be slightly superior based on several quotes, and the fact that he gave the Outlander something of a fight is certainly quite impressive. However, Savage is not to be dismissed: after all he defeated Koon, noted as one of the most powerful Jedi in history, and Gallia, who earlier in the series forced Grievus to retreat in a few seconds.

Last edited by MasterCilghal on March 9th 2020, 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

March 9th 2020, 3:26 am
MasterCilghal wrote:I’m not the most knowledgeable when it comes to Malgus, though when it comes to technical skill he might be slightly superior based on several quotes, and the fact that he gave the Outlander something of a fight is certainly quite impressive. However, Savage is not to be dismissed: after all he defeated Koon, noted as one of the most powerful Jedi in history, and Gallia, who earlier in the series forced Grievus to retract in a few seconds.

Worth noting Koon was distracted and cheapshotted, while Grievous also defeated Gallia later in the show and Grievous was retreating in their first fight anyway.
The Lost
The Lost
Level Five
Level Five

March 9th 2020, 3:51 am

Worth noting Koon was distracted and cheapshotted,
2014 called, asking for their argument to be returned
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal
Level Three
Level Three

March 9th 2020, 4:01 am
BoD wrote:Worth noting Koon was distracted and cheapshotted

Regardless of that, Savage is clearly portrayed as the superior of the two, hence why he was able to take off-guard and defeat his opponent so quickly. 

BoD wrote:while Grievous also defeated Gallia later in the show
Quotes for Grievus’ victory being legitimate? From what can be gathered by the episode itself, it’s unknown whether Grievus defeated Gallia in a 1vs1 duel or, similarly to his fight with Koth, Grievus had other droids assisting him in overwhelming Gallia, because the episode cuts to another scene. 

BoD wrote:and Grievous was retreating in their first fight anyway.

And that’s exactly the fact that Grievus was retreating that makes Gallia impressive, As that is specifically attributed to her skill by several quotes, such as: 

★ Fireside Chat #1 - Darth Malgus vs Savage Opress 37fa2b10
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

March 9th 2020, 12:11 pm
yep gallia is pretty damn marvelous on tcw show

this might add a pretty significant scaling chain with savage
IG
IG
Level Four
Level Four

March 9th 2020, 1:37 pm
Malgus is pretty clearly superior tbh
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

March 9th 2020, 1:41 pm
IG wrote:Malgus is pretty clearly superior tbh
"Do not just state your opinion—justify it."
IG
IG
Level Four
Level Four

March 9th 2020, 1:42 pm
HellfireUnit wrote:
IG wrote:Malgus is pretty clearly superior tbh
"Do not just state your opinion—justify it."
Based on the above posts.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum