Suspect Insight Forums

Go down
The Ellimist
The Ellimist

Mindfulness and Negative Emotions Empty Mindfulness and Negative Emotions

on Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:14 am
So of course, there are ways to deal with negative emotions that include addressing the root trigger in an advisable way, getting proper sleep/exercise/diet/sunlight/etc., and seeing therapy; this is more about dealing with them once the emotions have already been triggered:

First, taking a few deep breaths, while putting your focus on the breath, can calm you down and maybe solve the problem right there.

The emotions are going to manifest as physical unpleasantness in the body, including tension. If we bring the focus away from the thoughts and narratives around the emotions (not that those thoughts can't be engaged with in other contexts - like after you've gotten into a better state), then the emotion becomes a physical discomfort that's unto itself pretty mild compared to even something like hitting your toe.

So with your focus on the physical sensations rather than the narratives, you can relax the tension in your body - that's often enough. Then, while breathing calmly, you can do some combination of the following:

• Label the feeling, calling it "anger" or "anxiety" or whatever, noting just the nature of the sensation and not the narrative behind it.
  • View the sensations as just "energy waves" in your body and observe their movement dispassionately without attaching aversion to them.
  • Generate a positive feeling, like by wishing goodwill on yourself/others, recalling a happy memory, etc., and notice it appear in your body. Then spread this feeling, perhaps by using the "energy waves" of the "negative" emotion to move the positive feeling around until it's enveloped you and overpowered the negative.
  • As you breath, imagine the breath coming in and healing the negative feelings in your body.
  • Apply compassion and loving-kindness to yourself and the parts of your body that are in discomfort.
  • Smile and laugh at the situation.
  • Bring your attention to your breath and stay there.

Essentially, the keys are:

1. Reduce mental "aversion" to the pain, so that it's seen as more neutral rather than something to bemoan over.
  2. Ease in positive feelings and compassion.

This way you can significantly lesson the hold negative emotions have over you.

Of course, while this is a helpful set of techniques, negative emotions can often give you information about something wrong going on (often - but it can also be a false alarm). But you aren't discarding that information; you're putting yourself in a mental state where you can then better analyze it instead of wallowing in suffering.
lorenzo.r.2nd
lorenzo.r.2nd
Level One
Level One

Mindfulness and Negative Emotions Empty Re: Mindfulness and Negative Emotions

on Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:43 am
Hannibal ellimist.
Latham2000
Latham2000

on Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:56 am
Practising self affirmation will also be helpful:

"I am not my mistakes"

"I am not my failures"

"I am not the poor decisions that I've made in the past"

"I am not my childhood trauma"

"I am not my younger, less developed self"

"I am not the awful degrading things that my self doubt has said that I am"

"I am not the awful degrading things that other people have said that I am"

"Depression is tough, but I am tougher"
Isv
Isv
Level One
Level One

on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:09 am
Nah this all gay shit. Just be like Vader bottle up your rage and unleash it out on the world
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger

on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:50 am
@Isv wrote:Nah this all gay shit. Just be like Vader bottle up your rage and unleash it out on the world
The Ellimist
The Ellimist

on Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:17 pm
@Latham2000 wrote:Practising self affirmation will also be helpful:

Yeah that can help too, or some sort of effective mental ritual like an interruption, visualization, etc. 

I would say that it's better to do the affirmations with intention, but while also being gentle with them instead of being like "this HAS to be true or I'll feel bad!"
Latham2000
Latham2000

on Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:12 am
@Isv wrote:Nah this all gay shit. Just be like Vader bottle up your rage and unleash it out on the world

Anger weakens the immune system.
Latham2000
Latham2000

on Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:14 am
@The Ellimist wrote:
@Latham2000 wrote:Practising self affirmation will also be helpful:

Yeah that can help too, or some sort of effective mental ritual like an interruption, visualization, etc. 

I would say that it's better to do the affirmations with intention, but while also being gentle with them instead of being like "this HAS to be true or I'll feel bad!"

I agree. The self affirmation has to be realistic and achievable.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum