Suspect Insight Forums

Go down
BoD
BoD
Level Four
Level Four

What goals do you hope to achieve within the next 5 years? - Page 2 Empty Re: What goals do you hope to achieve within the next 5 years?

on January 15th 2020, 9:41 am
@ILS wrote:
BoD (Away) wrote:
@ILS wrote:Achieve a stable enough sense of self not to feel compelled to chase arbitrary goals so that in 5 years I can achieve some amorphous state people call happiness which seems be a temporary and elusive state at best
Seems like a pretty defeatist sense of being. If you don't strive or have goals, what's the point of thinking about the future or plans?
Says more about you than me. Why do you constantly need to be chasing after something just to feel content with yourself?
Not what I meant.
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Two
Level Two

What goals do you hope to achieve within the next 5 years? - Page 2 Empty Re: What goals do you hope to achieve within the next 5 years?

on January 15th 2020, 12:11 pm
@Azronger wrote:
@HellfireUnit wrote:
@Azronger wrote:I hope to achieve enlightenment.
It is an illusion. There is no such thing as enlightenment and one can never achieve during this lifetime. It is only a false perception of the reality.

Splain

By enlightenment I am assuming that you are referring to achieving a higher state of realization of your surroundings and gaining a true perception of the universe. There are quite a lot people who seek to achieve this state and there are those who actually manage to capture it. But it is nothing other than some sort of lie that people tell to themselves. Whatever the truth or revelation is that you seek, it simply does not exist and it is nothing but a mere lie that one tell to self in order to gain comfort and being able to overcome the obstacles and struggles they are facing in their life. There is a void that cannot be filled within you and that is why people are desperate for such things, which is why there are so many cults, teachings and religions, only to provide a comfort, whether it is true or not, does not matter. Hearts and minds of the men are weak. I may be wrong perhaps, but that is currently how I perceive this stuff. But we all grow and change until the very moment we die, even if we close ourselves to it by thinking that we achieved this state.

P.S: I am not specifically referring to you with usage of "you" @Azronger. Only referring to people in general.
Azronger
Azronger

on January 15th 2020, 12:56 pm
@HellfireUnit wrote:
@Azronger wrote:
@HellfireUnit wrote:
@Azronger wrote:I hope to achieve enlightenment.
It is an illusion. There is no such thing as enlightenment and one can never achieve during this lifetime. It is only a false perception of the reality.

Splain

By enlightenment I am assuming that you are referring to achieving a higher state of realization of your surroundings and gaining a true perception of the universe. There are quite a lot people who seek to achieve this state and there are those who actually manage to capture it. But it is nothing other than some sort of lie that people tell to themselves. Whatever the truth or revelation is that you seek, it simply does not exist and it is nothing but a mere lie that one tell to self in order to gain comfort and being able to overcome the obstacles and struggles they are facing in their life. There is a void that cannot be filled within you and that is why people are desperate for such things, which is why there are so many cults, teachings and religions, only to provide a comfort, whether it is true or not, does not matter. Hearts and minds of the men are weak. I may be wrong perhaps, but that is currently how I perceive this stuff. But we all grow and change until the very moment we die, even if we close ourselves to it by thinking that we achieved this state.

P.S: I am not specifically referring to you with usage of "you" @Azronger. Only referring to people in general.

I mean ego death. That's not a revelation, nor is it a lie. I'm aware that without the aid of psychedelics, it's asymptotic, but one doesn't need to be at that exact state to be content, only close enough.
BoD
BoD
Level Four
Level Four

on January 15th 2020, 1:13 pm
It's human desire to want more. Food, money, clothing, love, sex...all of these are human traits generated by the human body to bring us happiness. Social conventions have taught us that to be happy, you need these things. You have to be good looking, you have to be rich, you have to wear designer clothing...all of these are conditioned by society and are tied to bodily functions that release chemicals and hormones such as endorphins to make us feel good. 

One of the fundamental theories agreed upon by most psychologists and social theorists is that not having them would mean that the void and intrinsic need that exists within all individuals would make you feel like a failure in the eyes of society. It's a form of social pressure. We all claim to not give into peer pressure, but by living by conventional social stereotypes we are unintentionally upholding the social norms that we despise. 

Ironically, the pursuit of spiritual and mental enlightenment is just as harmful to the body. The idea that these things are worthless and that we should aim to purify our spirits or that our worth can be decided by spiritual merit is just as toxic. It's this mentality that has allowed cults and faiths both monotheistic and other, such as Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc., to gain a foothold in society and propose ridiculous ideas such as homosexuality being immoral, sex before marriage being a spiritual crime, etc. 

To truly achieve happiness, knowledge is one part of that quest. However, everything must be balanced. Unrestrained pursuit of knowledge is self-destructive. Compassion will cleanse the soul, but too much and the soul becomes weighed down by materialistic responsibilities and fulfilling said materialistic desires for others. A compromise has to be found between compassion, knowledge, truth and the moderated abandonment of material things. None of these can be fully embraced, else you sacrifice the other to do so and in doing so harm your own spiritual and personal growth.

All things have to be moderated. Sex, love, compassion, knowledge, material desire, etc. It's unrealistic to discard material possessions in modern times, nor is it healthy for you physically nor spiritually. True enlightenment can only come by embracing all of these concepts but moderating and controlling them, or by using one (e.g. compassion/knowledge) to moderate another (e.g. desire/sex).
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger

on January 15th 2020, 4:08 pm
finish my studies
CuckedCurry
CuckedCurry
Level One
Level One

on January 15th 2020, 4:16 pm
BoD (Away) wrote:It's human desire to want more. Tiin wank, Kolar wank, Fisto wank, Grievous wank, Yaddle wank, Maks Leem wank...all of these are human traits generated by the human body to bring us happiness.

What goals do you hope to achieve within the next 5 years? - Page 2 1289255181
DC77 (Reborn)
DC77 (Reborn)
Level Five
Level Five

on January 15th 2020, 4:40 pm
To not fail at everything, to not consistently prove to myself how worthless, cruel, wasteful and violent I am, to not wake up every morning wanting nothing more than to die before I can fail even more. I want to accomplish my dreams but at this point (Getting good grades, becoming a writer ect), I'm not even sure if that's possible (Still trying though).
BoD
BoD
Level Four
Level Four

on January 15th 2020, 5:20 pm
To not fail at everything, to not consistently prove to myself how worthless, cruel, wasteful and violent I am,

Might only know you from here, but about 99.5% sure that these aren't remotely true. 

Also, respect for wanting to be a writer.
DC77 (Reborn)
DC77 (Reborn)
Level Five
Level Five

on January 15th 2020, 6:31 pm
You don't know me IRL BOD. I've done a lot of fucked up shit and contemplated doing even worse.
BoD
BoD
Level Four
Level Four

on January 15th 2020, 6:45 pm
Well, since apparently who we are on here is who we are IRL according to people on the board, you're not.
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger

on January 15th 2020, 6:46 pm
@DC77 (Reborn) wrote:You don't know me IRL BOD. I've done a lot of fucked up shit and contemplated doing even worse.
that sounds suspicious
lorenzo.r.2nd
lorenzo.r.2nd
Level One
Level One

on January 15th 2020, 7:14 pm
honestly, i believe everything he said. his temper is not the longest lasting that i have personally seen lol
The Ellimist
The Ellimist

on January 16th 2020, 3:11 am
Aside from romantic goals:

• Safely attain a high level of meditation mastery. I'm not sure exactly to what level; being able to access all the major jhanas (at least the "soft" jhanas) regularly would be nice, but again it's not like a concrete criteria. I would say that a standard would be 1) to be able to put myself in a euphoric state consistently (I can already do this fairly consistently but not 100%, and it would be nice to lessen the minor conditions I need for it) and 2) be able to dissipate a negative emotional state given some skillful effort (I can do this for certain negative states, but it's not as developed as it could be).
  • Be successful at work. Omitting some details partially out of privacy and partially because I'm not entirely sure myself.
  • Have some sort of passive income stream, ideally enough to theoretically live off of (though the latter part may be a longer term project than just 5 years).
  • Have a lot of savings - maybe 200k+ in total assets? Not sure if that's realistic.
  • Have a large and satisfying social circle.
  • Effectively overcome my most major negative tendencies.
  • Be in a position to contribute to important causes.
  • Have traveled.
  • Make it so that the average day would be viewed by current me as one of the best days of my life.

Some of these are more optional (e.g. passive income stream), while others are more important (e.g. meditation, happy days).
Azronger
Azronger

on January 16th 2020, 3:33 am
BoD (Away) wrote:It's human desire to want more. Food, money, clothing, love, sex...all of these are human traits generated by the human body to bring us happiness. Social conventions have taught us that to be happy, you need these things. You have to be good looking, you have to be rich, you have to wear designer clothing...all of these are conditioned by society and are tied to bodily functions that release chemicals and hormones such as endorphins to make us feel good. 

One of the fundamental theories agreed upon by most psychologists and social theorists is that not having them would mean that the void and intrinsic need that exists within all individuals would make you feel like a failure in the eyes of society. It's a form of social pressure. We all claim to not give into peer pressure, but by living by conventional social stereotypes we are unintentionally upholding the social norms that we despise.

Ironically, the pursuit of spiritual and mental enlightenment is just as harmful to the body. The idea that these things are worthless and that we should aim to purify our spirits or that our worth can be decided by spiritual merit is just as toxic. It's this mentality that has allowed cults and faiths both monotheistic and other, such as Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc., to gain a foothold in society and propose ridiculous ideas such as homosexuality being immoral, sex before marriage being a spiritual crime, etc. 

To truly achieve happiness, knowledge is one part of that quest. However, everything must be balanced. Unrestrained pursuit of knowledge is self-destructive. Compassion will cleanse the soul, but too much and the soul becomes weighed down by materialistic responsibilities and fulfilling said materialistic desires for others. A compromise has to be found between compassion, knowledge, truth and the moderated abandonment of material things. None of these can be fully embraced, else you sacrifice the other to do so and in doing so harm your own spiritual and personal growth.

All things have to be moderated. Sex, love, compassion, knowledge, material desire, etc. It's unrealistic to discard material possessions in modern times, nor is it healthy for you physically nor spiritually. True enlightenment can only come by embracing all of these concepts but moderating and controlling them, or by using one (e.g. compassion/knowledge) to moderate another (e.g. desire/sex).

No one is saying material possessions are evil or worthless. Nor is true spirituality harmful to the body; in fact, it's just the opposite. The cultivation of a healthy body is important for the cultivation of a healthy mind. There's actually a theory that a lot of the organized religions were born of the average person misinterpreting what mystic masters were saying.

I agree about moderation in the beginning. But the closer you move to ego death and becoming a Stoic sage, the more irrelevant that starts to become.
The Ellimist
The Ellimist

on January 16th 2020, 4:16 am
At least in Buddhism and most contemplative traditions, the path to Enlightenment isn't self-deprivation. It does involve "renunciation", but this is renunciation of craving, not the suspension of the practical need for things like food and healthy living. An intelligent effort towards it would also be more gradual than just quitting everything at once.

Now you might say that actually being Enlightened involves not indulging in anything. This wouldn't entail forsaking physical requirements like food (since even if you didn't suffer from hunger, you'd still die if you didn't eat for long enough), and realistically wouldn't entail forsaking things that are important to mental health (like adequate sleep) or some level of social integration (since it's encouraged to then help others reach Enlightenment). It would entail not doing such things out of craving. Basically, it can be good to have X, but the lack of X wouldn't produce suffering.

In most traditions, Enlightenment also wouldn't mean that you don't feel "negative" emotions like hunger, but rather would not meta-turn them into suffering.
Wankious
Wankious

on January 17th 2020, 4:54 pm
What goals do you hope to achieve within the next 5 years? - Page 2 1289255181

One must have a grasp of what the ego and consciousness are on both philosophical and scientific levels which requires at least some understanding of neuroscience, evolutionary psychology and mysticism to even begin talking about these things without humiliating themselves. You must at least know that "the self is an illusion" and why that is a fact.
Ziggy
Ziggy

on January 18th 2020, 5:46 am
Within 5 years, I hope to unlock the secret to extending my life indefinitely.  

I already understand how to prolong natural life : caloric restriction and long term fasting (48+) and supplementing resveratrol 

Within five years I will have probably found a way to successfully launder all the money i've made illegally, an can likely have some sort of passive income stream. 

A bit more travelling would be nice too.
Azronger
Azronger

on January 18th 2020, 7:04 am
@Ziggy wrote:Within 5 years, I hope to unlock the secret to extending my life indefinitely.  

I already understand how to prolong natural life : caloric restriction and long term fasting (48+) and supplementing resveratrol 

Within five years I will have probably found a way to successfully launder all the money i've made illegally, an can likely have some sort of passive income stream. 

A bit more travelling would be nice too.

If you unlock it, please share.
Latham2000
Latham2000

on January 18th 2020, 9:05 am
@The Ellimist wrote:Aside from romantic goals:

• Safely attain a high level of meditation mastery. I'm not sure exactly to what level; being able to access all the major jhanas (at least the "soft" jhanas) regularly would be nice, but again it's not like a concrete criteria. I would say that a standard would be 1) to be able to put myself in a euphoric state consistently (I can already do this fairly consistently but not 100%, and it would be nice to lessen the minor conditions I need for it) and 2) be able to dissipate a negative emotional state given some skillful effort (I can do this for certain negative states, but it's not as developed as it could be).
  • Be successful at work. Omitting some details partially out of privacy and partially because I'm not entirely sure myself.
  • Have some sort of passive income stream, ideally enough to theoretically live off of (though the latter part may be a longer term project than just 5 years).
  • Have a lot of savings - maybe 200k+ in total assets? Not sure if that's realistic.
  • Have a large and satisfying social circle.
  • Effectively overcome my most major negative tendencies.
  • Be in a position to contribute to important causes.
  • Have traveled.
  • Make it so that the average day would be viewed by current me as one of the best days of my life.

Some of these are more optional (e.g. passive income stream), while others are more important (e.g. meditation, happy days).
I think you may end up finding that having a smaller social cirlce is better than a larger social circle.
winebottle
winebottle

on January 22nd 2020, 4:15 pm
To  Understand the complexity that is Bane dies
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum