Suspect Insight Forums

Go down
ILS
ILS
VIP Member
VIP Member

Currently Reading Empty Currently Reading

on January 10th 2020, 4:53 pm
What philosophical/historical/religious/political/scientific text are you reading currently?

I'm currently going between: Seneca's Dialogues/Essays, Tao Te Ching, Plato's dialogues, Adler's The Science of Living, On The Origins of Species and some preliminary reading for Das Kapital.
Meatpants
Meatpants

Currently Reading Empty Re: Currently Reading

on January 10th 2020, 5:58 pm
Biological evolutionary theory at the moment is strikingly interesting.
ILS
ILS
VIP Member
VIP Member

on January 10th 2020, 6:10 pm
I agree @Meatpants What about it has captured your interest?
BoD
BoD
Level Three
Level Three

on January 10th 2020, 6:28 pm
How you can tolerate Plato's writings I don't know. A lot of his work is either overly detailed and borders on waffling, or overly convoluted when he means to say something simple. Example from The Republic:

The society we have described can never grow into a reality or see the light of day, and there will be no end to the troubles of states, or indeed, my dear Glaucon, of humanity itself, till philosophers become rulers in this world, or till those we now call kings and rulers really and truly become philosophers, and political power and philosophy thus come into the same hands

He's trying to say that society should have three classes: rulers (philosophers who guide society), auxiliaries (warriors who defend the city state's interests) and producers (farmers, craftsman, etc). All of these are decided by a quality found within the soul that he himself dismisses as the noble lie.

Plato's ideas are fascinating, but far too convoluted for my liking.
MasterCilghal
MasterCilghal

on January 10th 2020, 6:31 pm
Thomas Hobbes/John Locke. I really like Locke’s empiricism and his overall conception of the state of nature.
BoD
BoD
Level Three
Level Three

on January 10th 2020, 6:34 pm
Locke is great. Loved reading about his theories for my coursework.
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Two
Level Two

on January 10th 2020, 6:45 pm
Philip Schlesinger - Media, State and Nation
ILS
ILS
VIP Member
VIP Member

on January 10th 2020, 7:29 pm
@BoD That's a common issue in philosophy I guess. I think Republic reads better with some prior reading of stuff like Crito, Apology, Phaedo etc. I read Republic first and I got a lot less out of it than I would now.
Isv
Isv

on January 10th 2020, 7:35 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
I am reading the old Nai posts
Azronger
Azronger

on January 10th 2020, 7:48 pm
My philosophy schoolbook.

Level One
Level One

on January 10th 2020, 8:14 pm
ive been studying some fallacies in school, alongside revelations part of the bible, and then we're going to genesis. its pretty interesting. learned some cool, but weird shit lol
ILS
ILS
VIP Member
VIP Member

on January 10th 2020, 8:16 pm
@lorenzo.r.2nd wrote:Learned some cool, but weird shit lol
Sounds about right!
lorenzo.r.2nd
lorenzo.r.2nd
Level One
Level One

on January 10th 2020, 8:22 pm
anybody curious? i have an abundance of somewhat useless knowledge on it now hahaha. the half scorpion, half horse creatures that will come to earth to torture sinners during the tribulation sounds about right. but for only 5 months, for some reason. seems like the usage of the nubmers 3, 7, 6, 40, and 12 has now been thrown out the window hahaha. what else. oh, a new demon aside from satan will show up. i did learn that satan has never actually been imprisoned in hell. he's been on earth the whole time, which is why sin is such a huge deal, instead of people being as innocent as adam and eve all the time. after that, he's gonna locked up for 1000 years, in which sin will exist, but will be not nearly as... apparent? abundant? i dont even know what to call it. ah, yes, the flying city. now thats a good one. what else what else.. the 5+ different types of angels, possible 10 even. michael is the only archangel, and is often referred to as THE archangel, making me think that its not just his kind of angel, but maybe a title as well. honestly, there is so much more shit lol
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger

on January 13th 2020, 2:42 am
john locke and logical fallacies
Meatpants
Meatpants

on January 13th 2020, 8:06 am
@ILS wrote:I agree @Meatpants What about it has captured your interest?

Just how certain traits developed and how you can tie observing it today back to how and why we did it. For example, females and males choosing sexual partners.
IG (Exists)
IG (Exists)
Level One
Level One

on January 13th 2020, 7:02 pm
Dunno if it counts, but common sense.
ILS
ILS
VIP Member
VIP Member

on January 13th 2020, 8:20 pm
@IG yeah that counts. I have been meaning to read that, funnily enough.
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger

on January 13th 2020, 11:50 pm
anyone know a good philosopher besides john locke?
ILS
ILS
VIP Member
VIP Member

on January 14th 2020, 1:03 am
@The lord of hunger wrote:anyone know a good philosopher besides john locke?
Depends what you're interested in. I like the Greek Stoics, Cynics, Epicurus, not to mention Plato, for getting started with basic ethics. Confucius as well.

For political philosophy, I guess you have Hume, J. S. Mills, Hobbes. You could venture into Plato's Republic and Aristotle's Politics. Getting acquainted with basic Marxist theory will also set you apart from most "red pilled" political commentators who haven't even read his manifesto, let alone Capital. But this area is so expansive you really need to spend time researching it.
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger

on January 14th 2020, 1:07 am
@ILS wrote:
@The lord of hunger wrote:anyone know a good philosopher besides john locke?
Depends what you're interested in. I like the Greek Stoics, Cynics, Epicurus, not to mention Plato, for getting started with basic ethics. Confucius as well.

For political philosophy, I guess you have Hume, J. S. Mills, Hobbes. You could venture into Plato's Republic and Aristotle's Politics. Getting acquainted with basic Marxist theory will also set you apart from most "red pilled" political commentators who haven't even read his manifesto, let alone Capital. But this area is so expansive you really need to spend time researching it.
i will check it then thx for the quick answer ;)
The Ellimist
The Ellimist

on January 16th 2020, 12:35 pm
Most of my recent reading interest has been in the contemplative practices (e.g. meditation), both through modern authors / teachers / masters and commentaries on traditional texts. I have a bunch of technical books (mainly on software / machine learning / etc.) and some fiction on my list as well.

If I can recommend a random book, it would be Joy on Demand. Not the most academic book on the subject, but it has some easy-to-use advice conveyed in an accessible manner.
Syndiciate
Syndiciate

on January 23rd 2020, 5:19 am
Current stuff I'm reading: 

Currently Reading 9780312890179_p0_v2_s550x406

Currently Reading 614zSF09INL

Currently Reading 919Z%2BudTaLL

Currently Reading 51cseMTOTJL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_

Currently Reading 35606041

Currently Reading 91CVca7U0QL

Currently Reading Name-of-All-Things-Cover

Currently Reading 53774
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger

on January 23rd 2020, 5:22 am
@Syndiciate wrote:Current stuff I'm reading: 

Currently Reading 9780312890179_p0_v2_s550x406

Currently Reading 614zSF09INL

Currently Reading 919Z%2BudTaLL

Currently Reading 51cseMTOTJL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_

Currently Reading 35606041

Currently Reading 91CVca7U0QL

Currently Reading Name-of-All-Things-Cover

Currently Reading 53774
any pdf you have for jedi apprentice and also how can i listen to the audiobook of dooku jedi lost?
Syndiciate
Syndiciate

on January 23rd 2020, 5:25 am
Haven't been able to find those online myself. Going to my local Barnes & Noble and reading them there. Neither are good enough to buy. The Dooku book is good but it's like a quarter of a novel because of all the spacing they put between the lines just to make it appear like a full novel and sucker people into paying full price.
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger

on January 23rd 2020, 5:42 am
well i will find on other places thx for the quick answer :3
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum