Go down
Azronger
Azronger

Yoda's prime - Page 2 Empty Re: Yoda's prime

on May 30th 2019, 10:58 pm
SithArchaeologist wrote:
@DarthAnt66 wrote:
SithArchaeologist wrote:
@DarthAnt66 wrote:"Palpatine is too strong for the aging Yoda." --- Comics Companion

Thoughts on this quote, everyone? Seems to state ROTS Yoda's not in his prime.

Hard to say. It could imply that, but I'm not entirely convinced tbh. Yoda's growth over the Clone Wars seems to be fairly substantial, at least in theory.

Well, that depends on if we're treating Yoda's journey in the Lost Missions as Legends.

True. What are people's stances on that?

The episodes were aired in February 2014 in Germany, so technically they predate the Canon/Legends split.
PeraltaEagle45
PeraltaEagle45

on May 30th 2019, 11:06 pm
IIRC, their release in the US was March 7th, which also predated the split.
LSDMB
LSDMB

on May 31st 2019, 8:20 am
@DarthAnt66 wrote:
In-sidiousvader wrote:
@DarthAnt66 wrote:"Palpatine is too strong for the aging Yoda." --- Comics Companion

Doesn't phase me in the slightest. All it says is that Yoda is aging and Sidious is too stronk, means nothing to me.

I'd say there's an obvious insinuation that "aging" is a relevant variable in Palpatine being "too strong" -- otherwise it seems terribly random.
It's obviously relevant but is it the only thing that's relevant? That's the real question. Is the implication that Yoda 200 years in the past could defeat Palpatine? Or is the implication if you took what Yoda knew now and who he was now and put him in the body he had 200 years ago he would beat Palpatine? I don't think it's entirely conclusive.
SithSauce
SithSauce

on May 31st 2019, 1:21 pm
@DarthAnt66 wrote:
In-sidiousvader wrote:

Doesn't phase me in the slightest. All it says is that Yoda is aging and Sidious is too stronk, means nothing to me.

I'd say there's an obvious insinuation that "aging" is a relevant variable in Palpatine being "too strong" -- otherwise it seems terribly random.

Sure Yoda is past his prime, but I think his ability to contend with Sidious for such a long time ( and even disarm  him) was because so much was at stake. The Jedi are nearly gone, Palpatine has risen to power and has a new apprentice in the form of Darth Vader an ex jedi. He was essentially fighting for his life and the life of other people.
Jake
Jake

on May 31st 2019, 9:56 pm
I don't have a stake in this debate at all, and highly doubt Yoda was declining, but we have quotes that do imply this;

I would feel more comfortable if I knew they were on their way to Vjun. I think the world of Master Yoda, but he is very old, and perhaps not all that he once was. The idea of him facing Count Dooku alone, in the Count's stronghold... it makes my blood run cold.

"Is there such a thing as too much power?" Dooku mused. "For instance," he continued carefully, "there was a day when your power was clearly greater than mine. Today, however I have waxed as you have waned. You stand in my citadel. I have at my command servants and droids and great powers of my own that I think would overwhelm even you.

-- Yoda Dark Rendezvous

Last edited by Jake on May 31st 2019, 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jake
Jake

on May 31st 2019, 9:56 pm
These can be interpreted in a number of ways, and both are pov quotes, but I thought it necessary to mention.
xolthol
xolthol

on June 1st 2019, 2:48 am
@Jake wrote:I don't have a stake in this debate at all, and highly doubt Yoda was declining, but we have quotes that do imply this;

I would feel more comfortable if I knew they were on their way to Vjun. I think the world of Master Yoda, but he is very old, and perhaps not all that he once was. The idea of him facing Count Dooku alone, in the Count's stronghold... it makes my blood run cold.

"Is there such a thing as too much power?" Dooku mused. "For instance," he continued carefully, "there was a day when your power was clearly greater than mine. Today, however I have waxed as you have waned. You stand in my citadel. I have at my command servants and droids and great powers of my own that I think would overwhelm even you.

-- Yoda Dark Rendezvous

Even though this quotes says that Yoda have decline, they cannot be really use. Indeed, they comes directly from Dooku when he encounters Yoda. And at this time, Dooku is a sith so pretty arrogant. I will say that the subjectivity of this quote is too high for using them as solid proofs.
Jake
Jake

on June 1st 2019, 2:58 am
I don't know what Dooku believing Yoda declining has to do with his arrogance. The fact that he thinks he could overwhelm Yoda perhaps, and exaggerating his growth during the war, but the belief that his old Master is waning is perfectly legitimate.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum